Skip to main content

What is wrong with current batch of truckies??

More
14 years 2 months ago #22465 by Bugly
Back to the Abbott episode, and my 2c worth makes a silver coin. The Abbott driver, while performing a legal manouvre, took a risk doing it right there, where he had to prop against the centre line. He could have made a safer turn a number of different ways. The bus driver was simply a clown, allowing himself to be caught behind the car instead of passing it on the left.

Top marks to the truck driver, who managed to take to the shoulder/verge area instead of running over the lot. He avoided the need for the rescue team to use a few body bags.

But unless it was on a blind corner, the truckie should have read the signs before he got into that posiition, and buttoned off much earlier. One of the posts above said that the truck wouldn't have been travelling too fast, as he had almost stopped not far past the incident. But the fact remains he should have been able to pull up before the incident. It is all a matter of risk management, and gawd help us it all truckies decided to drive faster than their braking ability ... think of all the body bags they'd use then!

Cheers - Bugly

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #22466 by
I've been reading the very comprehensive Kerang level-crossing disaster report, issued by the Victorian Transport and Marine Safety Investigations Dept .. and it makes very interesting reading .. and I believe the issues involved in Scholls failure to see the train, should be discussed widely in driver training.

Some of the issues involved are ..

1. The train driver sounded the horn initially for just over half a second. IMO, that was inadequate, and I don't ever recall a blast on a train horn that short. The train driver sounded the horn a second time, when he realised Scholl might not stop .. for a total of seven seconds, right up until the point of impact.
What I found interesting, was that tests in the U.S found that, in more than 50% of 13 vehicles tested (including a school bus, a Freightliner truck, and a Chevy Corvette), the train horn wasn't heard, inside the vehicle .. even though the blast was 96 decibels, well over the 90 dBA required.

2. Another factor mentioned, is the old bogey of familiarity breeding contempt. It has been discovered in a study, that drivers only looked for trains, if they expected one.
Running back and forth across the same level crossing and rarely seeing a train, lowered the drivers expectations of seeing one .. thus they looked for trains, less.

3. The report speaks of a well-known, long-distance driver phenomenon of "blank stare", known as "inattentonal blindness", where objects of danger are seen, but not recognised or acted on. I guess you could refer to this, as what is commonly known as "road hypnosis".
The report speaks of drivers doing many actions automatically .. being on "auto-pilot" when attention levels are low, and road boredom is setting in.

I know the Kerang report is appearing to get away from Ryan Freighters, near-accident .. but I believe that the truck driver factors mentioned in the Kerang report, are common to many truck accidents .. failure to recognise and act upon dangerous situations arising .. inattention/distraction .. and failing to excercise caution when road conditions have changed, and caution is required.

In both Scholls and Ryan Freighters drivers responses, I believe that both made too many assumptions that nothing important was happening ahead (when it was) .. both failed to exercise adequate caution when changed road conditions dictated caution .. and both kept pedal to the metal for too long, when they should have backed off earlier.

In both cases, I believe that the drivers were also distracted from correct driving response, by stopped or slowing vehicles on the road ahead, and didn't respond adequately to that info. In both these cases, I guess some "road hypnosis" could have played a part.

In Scholls case, he hasn't helped the investigation by refusing to give any evidence to the investigators .. which may have helped pin down critical actions and reactions (or inadequate reactions).
We can all guess why Scholl refused to give evidence .. it was no doubt designed to assist his defence against the negligent driving charges .. or maybe he KNOWS exactly what he did wrong, but is refusing to admit it under any circumstances.

If I was on the jury, I'm sure I would have found Scholl guilty, unlike the actual trial result. I believe he was guilty of negligent driving .. but he still carries the crushing weight of the results of his negligence forever, and maybe the jury considered that enough punishment.
I think this is another factor that few drivers consider .. the results of what happens, when poor driving skills or negligence, results in a major truck smash.
The consequences can not only be expensive, in $$ terms, but can also affect your life for ever after.

Kerang accident report (pages 43 to 55, the most interesting, to me) ..

www.doi.vic.gov.au/DOI/DOIElect.nsf/$UNI...rt2007-09-Kerang.pdf

(LARGE file - 2.31MB! - takes about 30 secs to download on Broadband)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 2 months ago #22467 by Swishy

Atkipete
GuddayM8

RE:Tailgating is chronic
Normally in light traffic U dont C trucks tailgating,
when the traffic is heavy n one truck follow n nuther truck @ a safe distance @ rear there is always 1 or more 4 wheelers wont n 2 fill th@ gap
so it aint no win win situation

Juan Trak
GuddayM8

RE: train crossings
there is no reason @ all to have trains n vehicles, cross each others paths
it is all 2 do with $$
probly 50% of all crossings could B dun away with
here in Suburban Melbourne there is a line th@ haz 12 rail crossings in 3 kilometers
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 2 months ago #22468 by atkipete
These are clowns trying to do 100 when the traffic is flowing @ 90 or 95. When the freeway starts to slow down like that, it is likely something will happen and a good time to allow extra stopping distance not less. I am talking about stupid tailgating ie less than a car length at 100kms.

• Topic Author
14 years 2 months ago #22469 by
WELL PARDON ME - WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS WRONG WITH SOME OF YOU BLOKES OUT THERE HANGING ALL THIS CRAP ON THE RYANS FREIGHTERS' DRIVER . TALKING ABOUT DEFENSIVE DRIVING AND FOLLOWING AT THE CORRECT DISTANCE - WHAT A LOAD OF DRIVEL !! I CAN SEE YOUR TERRY TOWELING HAT HAS SLIPPED DOWN AND YOUR CARDIGAN HAS GOTTEN SOME OF YOU A BIT HOT UNDER THE COLLAR . WHAT IDIOT WOULD COME TO A SUDDEN HALT ON A MAJOR HIGHWAY WITH NO PROVISION FOR A RIGHT HAND TURNING LANE . OH PARDON ME , I AM STOPPING SO EVERYBODY BEHIND ME CAN STOP ALSO . COMMON SENSE WOULD DICTATE AS MANY FORUM MEMBERS HAVE INDICATED - PULL OVER TO THE LEFT AND LET ALL THE FAST MOVING TRAFFIC EXIT THE AREA BEFORE MAKING A TURN - THAT WOULD BE THE SAFEST OUTCOME - NOT A BEEFED UP PUBLICITY STUNT WITH CAMERAS ROLLING . A BIT TOO MUCH OF A COINCIDENCE FOR ME ! IF ANY OF YOU FORUM MEMBERS CLAIM THAT THE SITUATION CAUSED TO THE RYANS' DRIVER HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO YOU THEN I WOULD SUGGEST YOU GET OUT OF THE SAND PIT AND INTO THE REAL WORLD - >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

• Topic Author
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #22470 by
No need to yell, highwheeler, we're having a reasonable discussion here. Yes, I've no doubt we've all had the same situation happen to us on odd occasions.
All I'm saying, is that the Ryans bloke took a bit too much for granted, and kept pedal to the metal .. when caution would have dictated that he should have backed off the loud pedal rapidly, and had his speed right down, when he saw vehicles stopped in the middle of the road .. the same as Scholl, at Kerang, should have done.

Have you ever had a vehicle die on you completely, in the middle of the highway? .. with a truck roobar in your back window? Nothing you can do, except try to pull up somewhere .. and God help you if there's bugger all shoulder to pull off on, as in many rural roads .. or if it's been raining, and the shoulder is just mud, like so many West Oz Goldfields highways.
Once you leave the edge of the bitumen after a rain, look out for your LH wheel disappearing into red, gooey clay .. :o

Have you ever encountered a smash just around a corner? .. a complete truck spare wheel carrier frame lying in the middle of your lane, just on dusk? .. a complete truck tyre in the same position? Ever blown a front tyre at 90 kliks and felt the result, as you got pulled straight across the road?? Ever come over a steep crest at 110 kliks, and suddenly come face-to-face with a Landcruiser traytop, pulling a 2 tonne trailer at 110 kliks, right in front of you? .. as he tries to overtake a bus on a crest??

I've had all of these, and more. Every one of these road situations demands quick reflexes, quick thinking, and good driving skills. I survived all of them, drawing on my lengthy driving experience, and practising good skills taught to me. All of them required a rapid reduction in speed, and a rapid assessment of the situation, and the correct action to take. If I had been speeding, or switched off, or presumed that I could keep pedal to the metal, when the situation demanded otherwise, I might not be here today.

In rural areas, many farm vehicles turn right, OR LEFT, into paddocks, via poorly marked gates. In many of these areas, there is inadequate width of shoulder to pull over to the left. Too many truckies confuse open-road conditions, with traffic conditions, and demand open road, right-of-way treatment. If you're travelling in an area with increased traffic, you're going to have people turning left and right, thus often blocking you, and making you have to slow down. Your attitude is, under no circumstances, should anyone block your 100kmh, pedal to the metal free run, when you want to go. It's an attitude that leads to a dangerous belief that you have a right of way, when road rules say no such thing.

What happens when someone pulls out ONTO the road, from a gateway, a farm driveway, or somewhere where there's only two lanes .. with a beat-up old Nissan, that does 0-60 in 28 seconds .. and he is trying to wind it up?? You just run right up his ar$e, because he shouldn't be there, by your rules??

I've said before, and I'll say again .. defensive driving techniques teach you to make allowance for other drivers errors .. which apparently you believe there is no room for. One driver making a judgement error .. followed by another driver expecting priority treatment .. is a situation set for disaster.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22471 by atkipete
Agreed, I have been in similar situations and don't take anything for granted on a country road.

• Topic Author
14 years 2 months ago #22472 by
Hi, I live on a major hwy, mostly single lane each way except for overtaking lanes. I have to make a r/hand turn into my driveway, I do it at least twice a day. I monitor traffic in rear view mirror about 1k away from home, and assess the situation, because I'm on a sweeping righthand bend with a 100kph speed limit and oncoming traffic is only seen at about 400m. sometimes traffic is doing 110-115k and they can catch you. Then all of a sudden you have traffic comeing at you and you be stopped in middle of the road, not good. So when I assess rear traffic a decision is made as to wether iI can slow down ,cross Nth bound lane and enter my driveway. If while slowing vehicles appear coming at me, and vehicles behind are gaining i have to make a quick decision to put left blinker on and pull to outside of fog line and wait. It is very dangerous for the unwary, and wether it is right or wrong I know it is common sense. Sometimes a vehicle behind is doing 120-125kph, they seem to come from nowhere, then all of a sudden you have a line of traffic coming at you at 100kph. Thats my twobobs worth, Jeff

More
14 years 2 months ago #22473 by Adrian
I think you have all raised valid points, whether it be road conditions, other drivers (both car and truck), or just our beauracratic system at it's best (lol).
At the end of the day, all we can do is be as professional as WE CAN in doing a demanding job where often the circumstances are stacked against us.
After all, every truck on the road is representing the transport industry whether we like it or not.
That's my two bob's worth anyway.
8-)

More
14 years 2 months ago #22474 by theroadbossman
My tuppence worth:
I have an old truck - 31 years old to be exact.
I work it every day (that there is work or it isn't raining).
I have had a truck licence for 32 years now.
My time as a professional driver is less than 7 years on and off.
The problem is MONEY.

I drive local only and 99% of that driving is on hourly rate - the slower/safer you go, the more money you make. Easy.

BUT lately because of the economic situation I am finding an increasing amount of work which is on cubic metre or tonnage rate - when I am engaged on one of those jobs it is like a demon that crawls inside your head and tellls you that you have to go go go!!! Otherwise you ain't making money. All that go go go causes a completely different driving style : rush, hurry, quick quick, load quicker, get there quicker, shorter route, BANG - straight up the back of old mates Fairlane as he just left the bowling club. And then the thoughts come rushing back - "what were you thinking dickhead" and "all that rushing just cost you a days pay".

It is not somebody else's fault because we do the driving; but our rates have gone down progressively in the last 12 months and the result is more accidents involving trucks. Am I on the wrong thought process here meaning that - is it just me?
cheers guys
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds