Skip to main content

Alternate uses of a tipper...

13 years 11 months ago #28906 by
Replied by on topic Re: Alternate uses of a tipper...
Just a little something else re current tendering conditions.

Current tenderer replaced some of the equipment they were using 12 months ago with brand new equipment, The contarct is now up for re tender for a further 3 year period so they are re appling for it.

They have been told that the equipment that is only 12 months old is no good for the new tender as ALL equipment has to be brand new at the start of the contract.

HOW F##king Stupid is this getting.

This is now starting to look the norm for current tenders so it means you are going to have to write off the new equipment over every new contract period this is going to add $$$ to the tendering system.

Trevor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #28907 by theroadbossman
Slospeed - There must be a time in one's life when you say "enough is enough" and don't go that way anymore.
I have to say that is my feelings regarding tenders for government.

Enough of the stupidity.
Enough of the contributing to a system that gets worse by the minute.
Enough of being told what to do and how to do it., and with what tools or gear.

Truckies in the main are somewhat free agents - and that is one of the attractions of the business. Do the job, don't stuff up, have a happy repeat customer, get paid. Simple.

I know I am sounding like a cranky old man, and may end up with nothing, but there is still a little bit of pride there somewhere - no money - but a little pride.
Sermon over :D
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

13 years 11 months ago #28908 by
Enough of the contributing to a system that gets worse by the minute.
Enough of being told what to do and how to do it., and with what tools or gear.

Well Bretto. Thats about as good as it gets now days
Fall into line or go. Its only going to get worse i'm afraid.
Being un lucky enough to sit on the board of directors of the company i have worked for for 35 years. yep it is only going to get worse i'm afraid. A lot worse . You got to conform with the new criteria or go. I cant bend over for mutch longer anymore. The good days are gone and won't be back. I have a pile of paperwork here at the moment i am going through and it is not good at all.......

More
13 years 11 months ago #28909 by theroadbossman
Yes old dog, I know you are right, and I know that I am not alone. But that doesn't make it right, if you know what I mean.

It has now been 5 days since the events of Tuesday evening. And like most things, acceptance of severe events comes with time. I understand the LGA's endeavours, although I don't agree with the way they have done it.

So, I am back to the core of this thread - alternate uses of a tipper truck - as both it and the owner (me :D) are not quite ready for Historic Registration just yet.

The forum has provided some invaluable clues and directions, many of which I am working on right now.

Over and above all of my problems, what is abundantly clear is that others (and an awful lot on this forum) have been there, done it, and come out the other side. And for that, and the support of this forums members, I am ever grateful. Thankyou one and all.
cheers,
Bretto ;)

13 years 11 months ago #28910 by
Bretto i realy feel for you. I'ts down to been counters
and politics now. You want to see the hoops you have to jump through to get on with the SRA these days.
It's easier to get into another country than to get a start with them. Most want a larger organisation so they only have to press one button on invoicing and controll ect. Six wheeler work is or was good but they usualy work from job to job. I have 2 mates down the road and they are usulay flat out or parked. looking for the next job or wet weather ect. Most of the big mobs want satelite tracking and fancy gear and the rates are not spectacular anyway. The new fatigue laws with 14 hrs
in my books, don't leave mutch room to make a dollar
down here any more, not to justify an owner driver anyway. There is not mutch you can do with a six wheeler even making into a water cart you are in the same boat. I can Pm you if you like to some tipper work down here. Mainly truck and dog or trailer work but it isn't real flash at the moment. We won a tender here 13 months ago for a job and they are still rooting us around as they made a mistake and the two companies that are still doind the job are playing polotics and nobody is game to make a decision when to relinquish the job. Sux bigtime. As we have a big deal with the company with warehousing and distribution on a different deal we can't push them too hard. IT's the same old story when we come up for air somebody puts their foot on your head. You get sick of it after a while..

13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #28911 by
Well, fellas - here's a chuckle for ya, instead of doom and gloom .. from our West Australian (newspaper) cartoonist, Dean Alston.
You ain't alone, as they say .. :)

For you right coasters, to keep ya up to speed .. Alan Carpenter is the previous Labor Premier, who went out on his ar$e .. Colin Barnett is the current Liberal Premier .. and Western Power was our single power-supplier, until some smart-ar$e shiny-bums (mostly the chief and senior executives of WP) decided it had to be broken up into 4 different companies.
Now the 4 new entities have lost about $100M, because of poor costings .. and now we are facing power supply charge increases, running at about 20% a year for the foreseeable future .. >:( >:(

More
13 years 10 months ago #28912 by Kenworth_10x6
Bossman, have you looked at asphalt work? What sort of overhang do you have on on rear of the tipper body, enough for paver work? I know it gets a little dirty on the tailboard but it can involve a bit of sitting around and you should be getting paid by the hour. Paver work is a little tricky but once you get the hang of it, it is a piece of cake. If you don't have a load cover a hessian throw-over one should not be too costly. I presume there is road paving going on as well as car parks and driveways done by smaller mobs. Another option is landscaping supplies, either doing loads for them or possibly buying loads from large suppliers and on selling with delivery to smaller landscape supply yards and hardware yards. Loads such as sand, crusher dust, metal, soil or sawdust from a sawmill or even off cuts for firewood. This might not be big time but might be enough to keep a bit of money coming in. Do your market research first of course, as some supplies might have to come from far away, but it may lead to other work. Check builders who might be needing supplies delivered quote material/delivery as well. One other slim option is as a tow operator. Depending on what your truck has whether it be a ring-feeder or pintle hook and trailer air, some mobs might simply need trailers moved that have air brakes like plant trailers or gen -sets and simply need it moved once a week. Once again, not a big job, but may be a bit of fuel money and get seen around town.

I hope these were not to way out!!!

More
13 years 10 months ago #28913 by 82cabover
Notice when u got the new gear and the cloud hanging overhead that the rate is no better and the volume of work doesn't increase just all more aesthetically pleasing.

livin the dream oldskool is cool

More
13 years 10 months ago #28914 by craig308
bretto have you look into the rural industry silage ' grain or stockfeed cartage

cheers craig

More
13 years 9 months ago #28915 by theroadbossman
Hi guys, I guess I should give you alll an update from an old bloke with an older truck and bugger all work. As stated earlier, me and the missus moved "home" to just south of Gosford NSW to be nearer the kids and grandkids. Before moving I did me homework and the prospects were good, but as stated above in earlier posts everything turned to $hit for a myriad of reasons.
Rather than go broke, and as me truck is still registered in Qld, I rang me mate who lives on the Gold Coast and the end result is that I've been back here for 6 weeks - haven't seen the missus for that long (maybe a good thing?) - but at least it is an income doing local work here.
The facts are that if you want to almost any work in NSW, you must be an incorporated company with generally $30million public liability and full workcover policy on yerself and if you have any employees them as well. It is just not viable to have a 6 wheeler in NSW unless you are willing to conform to those rules.

All of you have posted very valuable ideas, and indeed I have been down the road on each and every one of them.

Most interestingly, one of our members actually took the time to email me a few days ago with a notice from the Herald for a contractor wanted in Sydney. The rates are not real flash, and the payment terms are 75 days, but at least it's a start..

So once again everyone thankyou for your thoughts and support
cheers,
Bretto ;)

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds