Skip to main content

Heavy-duty trailer

More
12 years 9 months ago #54936 by Roderick Smith
Thanks, the best bit is a U turn across a highway opening, about 9 min 17 s to 11 min.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #54937 by Malfunction
Replied by Malfunction on topic Re: Heavy-duty trailer
Loved that last youtube item on Luya Julius heavy lift trailer. Not a fluro shirt in sight and people still looked safe doing their normal job!
That livery was around for a long time, and been gone for 20 years or so since Finemores took em over.
I remember every morning going to work coming across LJ's Leyland ergocabs pulling sugar trailers up to Newstead from Rocky Point Mill along the Pacific hwy

More
12 years 9 months ago #54938 by Kenworth_10x6
Actually looked like two blokes near the end after the U turn had red shirts on so might have been the Transport Department or similar. Interesting, the rear truck in as 8x4 Contractor, might be that one for sale a while ago. The other Contractor is a private one and there for a shove when needed at the end. Great bit of history.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 9 months ago #54939 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Heavy-duty trailer

While trawling the net me found a pic me never ever seen B 4
Can remeber the day.....twaz the day our 1st twaz born
way back in 1972
LOL

[img

Clikity ClikCLikCLik

The pic goes with the others on the same line @
www.beamish.biz/beamish/pictures/photot.htm

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 9 months ago #54940 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Heavy-duty trailer

Rodrick

This link (transfered from another current topic on this forum)

will show you how these floats turn corners. About 2/3 the way thru this video you will she how one manages a sharp U turn on the freeway.

Some of the trailers in this video are being steered remotely by the guys sitting in the little sheds on the end of the float. These guys can precisley control the trailer - make it crab walk, turn, side step etc.

Oldfulla

I presume the actual load was only that silver tanky thing, and that the bluddy great long gantry arrangement was part of the trailer setup to carry the load and distribute the weight. If I'm right, that tanky thing must have been more than an empty container! :)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
12 years 9 months ago #54941 by Medicated Mick

Actually looked like two blokes near the end after the U turn had red shirts on so might have been the Transport Department or similar. Interesting, the rear truck in as 8x4 Contractor, might be that one for sale a while ago. The other Contractor is a private one and there for a shove when needed at the end. Great bit of history.

The 8x4 Contractor ended up in central Qld.when Fleets. folded and the new owner streched it and put a stock crate on it's back and set it up as a roadtrain pulling two trailers.

BISTBK as usual

Mick. ;)

More
12 years 9 months ago #54942 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Heavy-duty trailer
Mick

You dont happen to know a more exact location in CQ where that 8 x 4 wnet too? A town, Company name etc?

Any info would be appreciated as I'm slowly collecting material for a book on the evolution of Livestock transport in QLD during the period 1960 to 1985ish, and aim to include as many different makes and models used during that era. Along with the million other changes that occured in that industry.

Oldfulla :'(

More
12 years 9 months ago #54943 by Medicated Mick

Mick

You dont happen to know a more exact location in CQ where that 8 x 4 wnet too? A town, Company name etc?

Any info would be appreciated as I'm slowly collecting material for a book on the evolution of Livestock transport in QLD during the period 1960 to 1985ish, and aim to include as many different makes and models used during that era. Along with the million other changes that occured in that industry.

Oldfulla :'(

From what I was told it went up to QLD after Fleets folded as a part of the finnies cut of the pie and they stuffed up the stockcrate build when they placed the loading doors incorrectly and had to breakdown the train to load it when it turned up for its 1st load.As to the time frame I am sure someone on here will be able to tell you exactly what year Fleets folded as my source of information is currently unavailable for the next week or so. :( :(

Cheers.
Mick.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #54944 by whiteline_redline

I presume the actual load was only that silver tanky thing, and that the bluddy great long gantry arrangement was part of the trailer setup to carry the load and distribute the weight.

they're called Beams mate, have a look in Truckin Life, the 'oversized load' section with Bradshaw's Ultra Heavy Haulage, that's a modular 16x4 platform trailer with a trailer steerer in the outhouse on the back. from Brissy to Lithgow NSW.Electrical Transformer- 550tonnes, 16m wide. 130m long, 3 Kenworth C510's, 2 Mack Titans (06-10) one 76 R600 towie and a T908, all Tutt Bryant gear..

gunna own me a Bicent some day...
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by whiteline_redline.

More
12 years 8 months ago #54945 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Heavy-duty trailer
My great grandfather didn't need all that gear to shift a tram.

Him and his brothers had sawmills and the mill at Sherwood in Brisbane made tram bodies, they were then carted away to have the running gear fitted.

No orange shirts here either. ;D ;D

Trust me

Time to create page: 0.532 seconds