Skip to main content

Heavy-duty trailer

More
12 years 8 months ago #54946 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Heavy-duty trailer
BK, was the mill at Sherwood where the old Index shed was that took 2 days to burn was?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #54947 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Heavy-duty trailer
I'll have to see if I have any info on location, it did have rail access.

Trust me

More
12 years 8 months ago #54948 by Roderick Smith
That was a magnificent photo, with many aspects to explore.
From a tram group: That is a photo of a Dreadnought (standard centre-aisle) tram being taken from Laheys sawmill at Sherwood to Brisbane Tramways Company's workshops in Countess St.

That in turn gave me an entry into my reference library:
Dreadnoughts over 1908-20 were built by BTC.
1924-25 ones were supplied by Brisbane Timbers (which I presume must be Laheys sawmill) and by Gardiner (an unexplained company).
Lahey brothers also had a logging enterprise near Canungra, with a steam-worked railway to connect to Queensland Railways. The line was one of the few in Australia to use Shay locos: a geared type, suitable for steep and rough bush tramways. AFAIK only one has survived in preservation in Australia: from Mapleton tramway (610 mm gauge, near Nambour, Qld).
See railshop.com.au/prod19.htm

That in turn reinforces the likelihood of a siding serving the Sherwood mill: bringing logs or partly-processed timber from Canungra via the Beaudesert line. Working only from memory, part of the Canungra line was used by construction trains when the new uniform-gauge line was pushed through from NSW to Brisbane in the 1930s.

This dates the photograph as 1924-25, which in turn may help with the identification of the steam tractor (by somebody else).

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
12 years 8 months ago #54949 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Heavy-duty trailer
Here's one of the locos.

They had 2 Shays and 1 Climax on the line at Canungra.

Trust me

Time to create page: 0.428 seconds