Skip to main content

log Books--- information please

More
11 years 9 months ago #86446 by bigcam
Browny, as far as I know, in Queensland anyway, it's zero BAC for any commercial vehicle, including taxi's and other registered as commercials, and this includes every thing over 4.5 t GVM.

The 12 t GVM is the difference between needing a heavy ridgid license ove a medium rigid license, and 12 t GVM is also the cut off where you need a speed limiter and a log book. You can burn around town all day in a 10.4 t GVM truck, but as soon as a trailer is hooked up to the same truck it become 16 t GCM and you need a log book. If in doubt, fill it out. It pays to get someone who knows what they are looking at to check your logbook every now and then as well to see if you have any mistakes in it if you arn't sure.

Nearly all Jap manufacturers offer a dual plate model in that range, IE 11,990 kg GVM or 14,000 kg GVM same truck and the dealer can up or down rate the GVM, much the same as they do with the smaller dual plate trucks so you can drive them on a cat license which are usually 4490 kg GVM or 6000 kg GVM which the dealer can up or down rate.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 9 months ago #86447 by
It is a definate interesting question. As the log book and all the documents indicate 12 tonne GVM or GCM. Does not mention anything about the current weight of the vehicle or a combined vehicle mass.

I would assume that there is a difference in this case of combined vehicle mass and GCM. I assume generally a flat bed such as the tilts would only have a GVM and may not have a GCM on the plate? I don't know. They might have a combined vehicle mass or a towing capacity hence the possible difference.

More
11 years 9 months ago #86448 by Chocs
Well Bugly Ol Mte..

I'll endeavour to get this right for ya..

A GVM under 12t = NO Log Book
A GVM over 12t = Log Book

When a vehicle has a GVM of under 12t is coupled to a trailer and the GCM exceeds 12t = Log Book.

If a vehicle does not carry the GCM on the makers plate, The GCM is based on 60% of the Vehicles GVM.
(Providing the vehicle is suitably specced.)

Some Vehicle Checking Stations require vehicles of 8T to enter.

I am basing my knowledge on my experience in Victoria.
As always, it is easier to contact the Authority in your state.

chocs 8-)

More
11 years 9 months ago #86449 by Vic Rhodes

A GVM under 12t = NO Log Book
A GVM over 12t = Log Book

When a vehicle has a GVM of under 12t is coupled to a trailer and the GCM exceeds 12t = Log Book.

chocs 8-)

Geoffb, The above quote by Chocs' is IT in a nutshell....

Also remember, that the Athourities will use the ; GVM & GCM that is listed on the Rego Papers..........

Time to create page: 0.376 seconds