Skip to main content

Wooden caravans

More
10 years 4 months ago #131330 by 1949_pickup
Replied by 1949_pickup on topic Re: Wooden caravans

I am thinking of a teardrop van to replace the tent eventually. As there will normally be 2 people in it I thought a door each side would make it easier if one of us needed to go for a walk. If there was only one door odds on it will be the one on the side without the door that would need the walk!

...yep, you need 2 doors with opening windows ,gets pretty warm in there at times ;).....and you need to be able to get in and out without clambering over your signifigant other, or vice versa... got a couple of inside pics to give you an idea of what they are like....

[IMG

.....bed is slightly narrower than a regular double , length fits me fine at 6ft n'a bit.....

[IMG

...suitcase is just in there when travelling, the aluminium edged table slides in on runners ,it's basically a foldup picnic table....overhead cupboards fits a fair heap of clothes......

[IMG

[IMG

..pockets in doors are good for storing books,etc.....

[IMG

.....windows swing out , we found you need plenty of ventilation , especially in warmer weather...

[IMG

.....also has a flip up vent on top....and a bug screen ;)

[IMG

....kitchen area, also another vent from the inside .....we do have a stove that sits in where the stainless splashback is.....don't use it though as we found the cooking odours get into everything. A 12 volt battery sits under the implement drawer , runs all the lights inside.....

[IMG

....also has a built in ice chest but we don't use that either , it's more use for carrying asst'd junk...... ;D...that's pretty much it, hope it inspires a few folks to go out and get and oldie and fix it up.......it's great fun 8-) 8-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #131331 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Wooden caravans
Thanks for showing us inside Col!! I'm impressed!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] So much in such a wee space ... I LIKE it!! :) :)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 4 months ago #131332 by CanAm
Replied by CanAm on topic Re: Wooden caravans

...i've got an old Franklin that looks a bit like that CanAm....great thread Rodders, by the way....

Hi Detective - there's no markings on it and the rego is "NO LIST" . I've looked at various shapes, the Balmoral seems closest because of the slightly pointed top at the front. I think I compared to a few Franklins but discounted for some reason...but we're still not sure.

1949_pickup - Loving that "Highway Palace" - way cool. Years ago thought about doing something like that with ramps at the back to drive the race car into.

10 years 4 months ago #131333 by
Replied by on topic Re: Wooden caravans
Yes Bugly I'm looking towards Alice 2015 and of coruse many other trips and I think it would look good machinery grey paint. Dave

10 years 4 months ago #131334 by
Replied by on topic Re: Wooden caravans
If it wasn't for this thread I probably wouldn't have taken any notice. seems they are quite common
Bankstown today..............

[IMG

More
10 years 4 months ago #131335 by hypermung
Replied by hypermung on topic Re: Wooden caravans

Thanks for showing us inside Col!! I'm impressed!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] So much in such a wee space ... I LIKE it!! :) :)

I totally agree...... I think the icing on the cake is the lead light windows... SWEEEET !

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #131336 by 1949_pickup
Replied by 1949_pickup on topic Re: Wooden caravans
Thanks Gents,glad you like it....here's a few more different examples of travellin' timber.....

[IMG

...a homebuilt replica of a Don , since been rebuilt and back in use....

[IMG

...another homebuilt , great design on this one.....

[IMG

[IMG

...a Roadhaven , these were built in small numbers in Northcote, Vic....

[IMG

....a SA built Roadmaster...

[IMG

...a homebuilt teardrop .....looks to be on early Ford wheels....all the vans shown except the first one are from an old caravan forum event in Mildura a few years ago, cheers, Col
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by 1949_pickup.

More
10 years 4 months ago #131337 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Wooden caravans
Here is a whole forum devoted to Globetrotter caravans, with lots of photos. The brand was major in the early 1960s, and the shape was distinctive. I suspect that the brand was positioned at the lower end of the market. After buying an EK Holden in 1962, my father hired a Globetrotter for a September holiday. By Christmas, we owned our own caravan.

vintagecaravans.proboards.com/index.cgi?...=display&thread=2268

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #131338 by Roderick Smith
I'm home again. This one isn't mine. It was contributed to a different forum, responding to a discussion on MG Y models. I did a lot of work to salvage the scan, made from a deteriorated slide. It is in a location which will be known to many on this forum: the summit of Moonbi Range in northern NSW. I don't think that the radiator had overheated, it was simply a good place to stop for a cuppa and relax after achieving the long steep climb.
This van must have been a 10 ft (3 m): it had a two-seat dinette across the front, kitchen right matching door & cupboard left, and a settee making a double bed across the back.

1958 MoonbiRange MG Y & caravan. EllisThornley

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #131339 by Roderick Smith
In reply 44, Dave asked about length: go back a page to reply 39, which has a construction diagram.
There are lots of youtube videos, and one links to more. Here are just three:
Unfolding this fabric one takes so long that as soon as it is set up, it is time to pack up. It makes a Propert look good:

A great USA explanation about building one:

A great USA one about the joy of camping in a teardrop:

Today: two views of a preserved or replica teardrop, taken at a national machinery rally at Murray Bridge over Sat.4 & Sun.5.5.09. This was riverside, and so several wooden launches and paddlesteamers (plus my boat) were part of the rally.

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Roderick Smith.

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds