Skip to main content

Wooden caravans

More
10 years 2 months ago #131350 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Wooden caravans
Nostalgic Paul has forgotten Kerang mosquitos: more voracious than NT crocodiles. They are a local specialty, with a range of mosquito kebabs, mosquito steaks and whole spit-roast mosquito.

Recently, Kerang was as much underwater as Queensland is so often.

Also recently, Kerang Hotel (the one on the bend in the highway) was destroyed by fire.

I pass through there often on my way to Murray River boating, and do use my four-berth boat as a caravan when positioning to SA.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #131351 by Roderick Smith
Aug.-Sept was a clincher: caravanning was the only way to holiday affordably with a family of four boys. Within 2 months, we owned our own. We had a shakedown trip (AFAIK Tooradin), and booked a spot at Lakes Entrance for the second half of the Christmas holiday.
I place this van as c1950, and probably homebuilt, but done very well. The Hyway nameplate would be a custom one. I don't think that it had brakes, and the gas for the stove must have been picnic bottles, inside. Again, the water tank was wall mounted. My memory is that the settee was at the front, and the dinette at the rear: that gave us a larger table. The body was Masonite over framing: not much of a clue, the product dated from the 1920s, but possibly came to Australia later. One clue, where HCVC people may be able to help: What are those wheels? AFAIK the same wheels are on it today.

I am not sure where this photo was taken: possibly Tooradin on the shakedown; possibly the first night to Lakes Entrance. I can't recall where we staged on that adventure, as I have no photos of local trains taken during the afternoon. I am guessing Traralgon or Sale. Moe was its own weekend on a different occasion.

Roderick B Smith

62xxxx-xxxx-caravan-RSmith

Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
10 years 2 months ago #131352 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Wooden caravans
FX Holden wheels.

ASW.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
10 years 2 months ago #131353 by Roderick Smith
Thanks for the wheels id: consistent with all other clues.

We returned from Lakes Entrance via Yarram, but I can't recall the stops. Easter 63 was close and local [Warburton?], as the two older boys were at scout camp. May was an easy midlands circuit: Maldon, Maryborough, Ararat & Ballarat, revisiting places where my parents had lived (in different eras), and giving me the chance to explore the last major steam-loco depot in the state. September was adventure time: back to the Murray, and this time Mildura. It was a remote new world. Melbourne - Charlton - Ouyen - Mildura - Swan Hill - (Bridgewater?) - Melbourne. We had found the Ravenswood - Marong bypass (and the matching Bridgewater - Serpentine link). Here is a classic Australian scene, cropped from a view taken to show the railway down the middle of the main street: the Holden and van, peppercorn trees, kerbside pumps.

630901Su Wycheproof. N Smith.

Roderick B Smith

More
10 years 2 months ago #131354 by Roderick Smith
Here is an Aerolite, purchased by Victorian Railways as a touring display vehicle. I don't recall seeing many, but there are enough to have a following within the wooden-caravan hobby.
There is a good thread at:
vintagecaravans.proboards.com/thread/2923 , which includes a colour photo of the VR one.

Nov.60 VR NewsLetter VR display caravan.

Roderick B Smith

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 2 months ago #131355 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Wooden caravans
One fir Smitty

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
10 years 2 months ago #131356 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Wooden caravans
Rodders wonder what national news program the caravan was featured on ???????? might be able to get some old news real it never cease's to amaze me were you find all this stuff [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #131357 by Roderick Smith
I don't believe that 50 yo tv news programs were archived. The heavy-duty master tape was recycled.

This photo jumped out from the coverage of a Milang (SA) rally by 'Tacho', at www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1393410838
I have copied it across to this thread too.

Roderick B Smith

[IMG

Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
10 years 1 month ago #131358 by Roderick Smith
Here is the other view of the family caravan which I had on the hard drive.
This was a nostalgia stop for my mother: My grandfather had been the stationmaster there around 1930, and the trellis which he built, with the grapevine which he planted, were still there. Notice kerbside petrol pumps in the distance. Cropped right of frame is Golden Grain Hotel, which is still there and trading. Calder Hwy is east of the railway; this main street is west of the railway, so lots of people don't call in; they stop in Sea Lake, not far to the north.

630901Su Berriwillock (Vic.). N Smith

Roderick B Smith

More
10 years 1 month ago #131359 by Roderick Smith
Here is one of my photos showing the VR display Aerolite caravan in action, at the celebrations at Port Melbourne for the 120th anniversary of the line (Australia's first steam-worked public railway), on Sun.15.9.74.

Roderick B Smith

Time to create page: 0.572 seconds