Skip to main content

Wooden caravans

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #131380 by Dodge fan
Replied by Dodge fan on topic Re: Wooden caravans
I was originally thinking of making a soft sprung tow bar for the Dodge to tow either my '57 Wayfarer or '64 Home made vans, but as they both have timber chassis and the Dodge is a prime mover which would shake them both to pieces, I've given up on that idea. Looks like I'll just have to overnight on the seat if the opportunity arises :)
Billy 8-)

Playing around at Dodge City
Dodge AT4-760&&FB Holden Ute

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #131381 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Wooden caravans
Two from Colin in a different thread. Fibreglass vans had only a brief vogue, IIRC early 1960s. They needed the Humpty Dumpty shape for strength, but that must have caused trouble with the fitout. Still, vintage now, and matching the wooden and aluminium which have appeared so far in this thread.
The photos are of a recent rally at Junee (NSW).

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #131382 by Roderick Smith
Gypsy caravans at a Lake Goldsmith rally. Sun.6.5.12. (Roderick Smith). Galvanised iron now adds to the list of construction materials in this thread.

Roderick B Smith

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #131383 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Wooden caravans
seen at Lockington today.

[img
classic caravans by bparo2003 , on Flickr

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #131384 by Intermodel63
Replied by Intermodel63 on topic Re: Wooden caravans
Roderick

I have just been trolling through this thread and it has bought back many memories of caravan trips around Vic. Our trips started out in the 50's with a tent on wheels (canopy on back of grandads Peugot). Then dad got a Morris Marshall (saloon cream with green flash) in '60 after that he managed to hire a van every holiday & off we would go. I remember the blocks of ice for the "fridge", the smells, sounds and the adventures. No brakes, mod cons, three pin electrical plugs & sockets hanging out the boot, going to bed dead tired but getting up at sparrows fart the next day for more of the same. I remember one trip, we were at Maldon & dad found a bee hive in a box tree. He robbed it & to extract the honey used a muslin curtain from the van & hung it over a pot in the sink, mum was not happy. The EH & van featured at the Junee swap was a nice bit of gear. Keep the pics coming.

Graham

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #131385 by Roderick Smith
Have just a message without a photo. The photo two posts back captured so much of the image of how we were in the 1960s; this was a rally, but one which caught the past well. The message one post back must have been the youth of many members: new horizons, new adventures. It wasn't just the places which were new for me which I loved. I enjoyed watching the morning ritual as half the vans prepped and left: not a rally, all individual, but all those steps. Empty the slops bucket, and put it inside; reel in the power cord, and place it inside. All windows and hatches closed and snibbed. The stove lid down; nothing loose. Remove the stablilisers, raise the front, back the car down with precision, lower onto the towball and lock the holding claw, safety chains on, couple the lights and check them, make sure that the brakes were in active position. Family aboard, and out of the park, with a check stop to ensure that the brakes were working, then pause after a kilometre to check the coupling and tightness, then off properly for the new day. Along the way, morning tea, perhaps a shopping stop, lunch, then mid afternoon into a new location. My moment of glory: backing into the new site. Set up the essentials, then off to explore.
My mother did dinner, the youngest brothers were put to bed, the oldest boys were taught the niceties of 500.
Today, I have the same rituals (with additions) bringing my boat out of the water, and setting forth. Most of my voyaging is Murray River, and so many road stops and river stops are places which I saw for the first time on a family caravan holiday.
I have yet to scan the rebuild of the family van, but it was in the Pullman-front style only just posted.
As I typed, I was listening to a 1950s-style version of the 1930s jazz standard 'Caravan':
<
;
Roderick B Smith

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #131386 by Intermodel63
Replied by Intermodel63 on topic Re: Wooden caravans
Here's a bright oldie with a personal touch.

vintagecaravans.proboards.com/thread/4524

Graham

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #131387 by Roderick Smith
As is so often the case, this article jumped out when I was researching something else. I don't know how successful the implementation was, and if more were ordered. The next phase was transportable huts rather than caravans as such: common for construction projects in most industries, and common for VR when engaged in both construction and major maintenance.

From Feb.1955 Victorian Railways News Letter.

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Roderick Smith.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #131388 by Roderick Smith
Two tantalising glimpses of a wooden caravan at the recent Rocklea (Brisbane, Qld) truck show, from other posters, copied from the Rocklea thread in the 'Events' section.

Roderick B Smith

Rocklea caravans:
[IMG

Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #131389 by Roderick Smith
For from the Sun.9.11.14 HCVC rally at Yarra Glen.

Roderick B Smith
Rail news Victoria Editor

Van and matching caravan (a Millard?):

Early 1960s aluminium, with lines which I don't recognise, and that external-access locker; I suspect a homebuilt. It is used for holidays, and the owners have built up a good collection of 1960s items for displays.

Wooden teardrop:

Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Roderick Smith.

Time to create page: 0.605 seconds