Skip to main content

Compressor

More
9 years 9 months ago #145890 by Intermodel63
Compressor was created by Intermodel63
I picked up this up recently. XAH Waukesha 100cfm Ingersoll Rand 2 stage 3 cylinder compressor. Some searching show that they were used by the military in WWII.

[IMG

[IMG

Graham

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #145891 by Intermodel63
Replied by Intermodel63 on topic Re: Compressor
Video clip.

[IMG

Graham

More
9 years 9 months ago #145892 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Compressor
Looks good all scrubbed up!! Didn't take long to get it running! :)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
9 years 9 months ago #145893 by tongalafarm
Replied by tongalafarm on topic Re: Compressor
Good to see your compressor,I have one the same but not as good nick as yours

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #145894 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Compressor
Certainly looks original WW2 with the 18 inch Canadian/Australian wheels. Probably Australian built by what was then an American multi-national but now an Irish company with American engine. Those wheels lead me to guess it may have been from Canada built by the Ingersoll Rand branch there. Nice find.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

You can see in the photos early and late models - early had the standard Blitz hubs and the late one had the improved type with the rings for both tying down for shipment and towing through bogs.

This from Mike Kelly in Melbourne on the MLU (army vehicle forum):

I have a WW2 ex army Ingersoll Rand 100CFM compressor , quite a few of these were importred into Aust. under Lend Lease . The single axle trailer is Australian made , the compressor and engine were of US origin , the whole thing was assembled here . The wheels are the standard 18 " Australian trailer wheels seen on semi trailers and other equipment .

Does anyone know of a derelect example I can rat for parts ? Post WW2, many of these were used by Govt. depts such as the Victorian Railways and Board of Works .

The engine is a Waukesha XAH 186 ci side valve 4 cyl

BTW if you want to get back at your neighbours for holding noisy late night parties , this compressor is the ideal tool . I would think around 5am would be a good time to crank it over . " Noise ? What noise you say . I only use it for blowing my car tyres up " .

Lang
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Lang.

9 years 9 months ago #145895 by
Replied by on topic Re: Compressor
...just trying to make out what looks like words on the side of the hood...dept of supply?...if so it stacks up as their fleet colour was called ''Aviation Surface Orange''....

More
9 years 9 months ago #145896 by Intermodel63
I had it running after cleaning out carby & fuel tank. The hubs are original but the rims & discs are custom made to run 16" tyres same as the jeep, after a while the 18" were hard to get. It is interesting that someone is trying to work out the lettering on top. When I picked it up the previous owner was also at a loss as to what/who it was, well I spies a bit of gal tube on the front of cowl between fuel tank with a screw cap. Well it contains the last inspection certificate, I'll scan it. The compressor was a hire unit of D.H. Burghouse of Ultimo in Sydney. Burghouse recovered a lot of post war surplus & made a quid out of it, even Japanese machinery gathered from the islands. Tongalafarm any chance of pic?

Graham

More
9 years 9 months ago #145897 by Intermodel63
[IMG

Must apologise for misspelling Berghouse "e" not "u".

Graham

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #145898 by
Replied by on topic Re: Compressor
...without trying to chuck a bucket of cold water over all of this, i reckon that the pressure vessel test may be a timely thing right now ....considering the possible elapsed time since the last one was signed off on....

...just a thought .... :) :) :)

More
9 years 9 months ago #145899 by Intermodel63
Detective

No need for panic, as having seen first hand a vessel failure :'( there is no way that the tank will get above atmospheric pressure. I have run the compressor with all valves open to check its operation. When the time comes the tank will be inspected by a qualified person & replaced if needed before use. :)

Graham

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds