Skip to main content

Compressor

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #145900 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Compressor
Inter

The wheels you have are not homemade they are the standard 16 inch blitz wheels off the 15cwt Blitz Fords and Chevs, 9.00-16. The same English bolt pattern would take 16,18 and 20 inch wheels. It looks like they have put 7.50-16 tyres on the compressor for cheapness and availability, a bit narrow for the rims but they work OK.

[IMG

Lang
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #145901 by Intermodel63
Replied by Intermodel63 on topic Re: Compressor
Lang

Thanks for the heads up. The tyres on it are 6.00 x 16 & look pretty skinny for the rims. If nothing else it is good to know a little of the history of the thing.

Graham

More
9 years 9 months ago #145902 by tongalafarm
Replied by tongalafarm on topic Re: Compressor
Re some pics I will try tomorrow

More
9 years 9 months ago #145903 by tongalafarm
Replied by tongalafarm on topic Re: Compressor
[IMG

Here are some pics of my sad ol girl,its complete head off soaking cyls as its stuck,when I got it the exh was facing the sky with no cover
[IMG

[IMG

More
9 years 9 months ago #145904 by Intermodel63
I guess it will fill up a weekend or two for you. :)

Graham

More
9 years 9 months ago #145905 by Lang
Interesting that the compressor has Gargoyle nominated with the old fashioned "Heavy" description rather than a grade.

Gargoyle was Vacuum Oil's first product in 1866 W600 heavy steam engine oil - still in production! As the Mobil name became more widely used Mobiloil replaced Gargoyle after WW2.

Interesting that they have revived the Gargoyle name for their current high-tech refrigeration compressor oil.

Lang

More
9 years 9 months ago #145906 by Intermodel63
Lang

Just looking at the wheels on the Blitz the ones on the compressor are six stud but don't have the other dozen or so around the rim they are welded.

Graham

9 years 9 months ago #145907 by
Replied by on topic Re: Compressor
..i'm not sure if this helps or hinders...the tag denotes Ingersoll-Rand (AUST.) PTY. LTD.

...possibly manufactured after the war??.....

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #145908 by Lang
Graham

Just had a good look at your photo. The original 18 inch wheels and your remaining original Blitz hubs led me to jump to conclusions.

If the wheels are Blitz ones welded together they would be unusable because they are flat across with no well making tyre fitting almost impossible.

Looks like they found some other wheels with the right bolt pattern to replace the originals.

Detective

Ingersol Rand were in full operation in Australia pre-war according to a WIKI website.

Lang
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Lang.

More
9 years 9 months ago #145909 by Intermodel63
Lang

They look to be custom made wheels & it would be easy to change tyres. There used to be a wheel man in Wagga where we would get custom wheels for plant & trailers made but like everything now, gone with time.

Graham

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds