Skip to main content

Galion Grader 104

More
2 years 6 months ago #226222 by wedgetail84
What’s the scoop on Galion 104s? I’m going out to look at a local one that I can get for scrap value. Ran fine when it was parked in the paddock 10 years ago (like that’s a recommendation) - great but the wiring loom burnt out.

I know a little about the smaller galions but not these bigger 12’ ones. Apparently it only has three gears, but I have a hunch the owner (who admittedly doesn’t know much about it) doesn’t realise there are more and the linkage may be seized.

What were the engine options on these in Australia? Any specific issues with them? It has no drive chains - one broke and he has it the other he’s not sure. He reckons the motor was sweet as, hopefully the exhaust has been covered

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 6 months ago #226226 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Galion Grader 104
Probly carted a few over the years
only one pic I think circa 1965

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galion_Iron_Works

Happy Gradin
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226229 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Galion Grader 104
I bet you have swishy! I might start by checking it Isn’t seized and go from there… I’m guessing it’s got a Cummins

More
2 years 6 months ago #226233 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Galion Grader 104
i remember one model Galion was a whopper,with a big 6 cyl Cummins.........some of them had more than four chains like a Cat 12.....sort of double reduction in the boxes with 8 chains ,etc.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226235 by JOHN.K.
Looks like it might have a 4-71 and an Allison trans ......I recall Palms had a nice medium size Galion with a GM,ex Vic Roads ,went real well...except for the screaming noise.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #226245 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Galion Grader 104
Thanks John, I was really hoping it had a GM as a lot of them seem to but reading between the lines not many Aussie ones did? It’s got an IHC engine, I6 Di with a standadyne style pump. Couldn’t find a serial, any ideas what it is? Phil Hunt reckons two chains a side.

Defiantly a step up from the little 10’ Galions but it’ll need a fair bit of TLC before it grades a road… don’t like the missing dipstick as it’s pretty open and has probably taken a bit of water into the sump, but it’s not seized so I’ll probably push for it.

Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by wedgetail84.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226248 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Galion Grader 104
Might the engine be a Neuss made International D-310 or D-358?

More
2 years 6 months ago #226250 by JOHN.K.
Motor does look very Neuess like.....I can see the square bodied oil cooler and the short pipes to the filter......have one sitting on the back steps of a D359..............Incidentally ,the Neuess motors were OK,just got a bad name from being stuffed up by International Harvester.......The 4 cylinders in the german sourced tractors were a great motor.......they are wet sleeve though...so inhibitor is necessary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #226257 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Galion Grader 104
At scrap value how can you go wrong? Wiring is not hard to sort out especially on a diesel. Siezed engines will eventually let go. Biggest cost is recovering it back home. I think if you have a need for one do it.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by cobbadog.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226259 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Galion Grader 104
You know, I could be wrong here, usually am, but I had some vague ideas that Gallion, or Galion, also used the smaller 6 cylinder Leyland engines?
Or I may be thinking of Aveling-Barfords, some of those single drive jiggers.
Sometimes unkindly called 'Travelling Bas...ds!'
Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds