Skip to main content

Galion Grader 104

More
2 years 6 months ago #226261 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Galion Grader 104
Possible...at one time....pre Hawke....all this stuff had to have a high local content.....although Leyland wasnt exactly local......id say if its got a Neuess motor its not what Id call antique ...mid 70s to 80s.....Palms used to sell all the small Galion 503s from the Vic Roads and SA they could buy...and double their money on them......Dresser bough out Galion (and the rest of IH construction) about 1982.,and put much improved motors in the small ones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226264 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Galion Grader 104
Neuss is the name of the city were IH had a factory, The six cylinder Neuss motors that I have had have been as good as 6354 Perkins

Simple, reliable and virtually bullet proof, I think like a lot of motors from that era they suffered corrosion or cavitation problems

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 6 months ago #226266 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Galion Grader 104
As she lies

spend sum time & make sure all tyres hold air
this will save U $ n grief l8R

easy way to shift is on a super tilt deck trailer

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #226267 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Galion Grader 104
Thanks guys, yeah defiantly a Neuss - been googling pictures and it fits 100%. Seems a bit on the small side seeing as the equivalent cat had a D333 or 3306, but it sounds like they’re a good motor if not pushed beyond their limit…

It’s only a few km away, but due to the river, roads and terrain it’s probably more like a 30km journey. But still I should be able to find a local tilt tray/low loader to do it (if anyone knows one near Mandurama/blayney/Canowindra song out). We do need one - our road is starting to destroy 2wd cars and the three point linkage blade I’ve got is painful. There’s a Cat 21f locally for $30k but I think this should do the job eventually.

I’ll head out with a compressor and get air in it. Brakes didn’t work last time it was driven so shouldn’t be seized… I’ll have to see if old mate can get a tractor down so we can drag it to an area suitable for a truck
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by wedgetail84.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 6 months ago #226269 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Galion Grader 104
Wedgy
m80
if it is your own private road
why not a heavy girder and tow behind the vehicles as they cum n go
it will adventchly get the rd smoother .... unless U got deep holes th@ need fill n in 1st
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226271 by JOHN.K.
Grader brakes are always problematic........generally two wheel ,hydraulic drums,with a booster worked by the main oil hydraulics......these are a very expensive unit..........anyhoo ,back to the "brake drums"......generaly the drums and wheels are one big lump of cast iron.....about 250kg .......to do the brakes ,the big cast iron wheel centre must be removed ......its on a keyed taper........and will be super tight ......or it will be loose and the keyway flogged half way round the wheel.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226272 by JOHN.K.
Serafins Cat 12 /17K was driven around Brisbane for years with no wheel brakes and big drum handbrake at 10% ........when floated ,the float driver was always told.......dont take it out of gear ,keep it in first. The handbrake wont hold............one driver who had a bit of bother ended up with a wild ride down a steep slope in to a creek ......Serafins grader was banned by every float hire ......but theres always a newbie to try.................was great sight to see the Cat 12 being used as a dozer with the front wheels off the ground and the hand brake drum shined up by the scrub under the frame .

More
2 years 6 months ago #226314 by wedgetail84

Wedgy
m80
if it is your own private road
why not a heavy girder and tow behind the vehicles as they cum n go
it will adventchly get the rd smoother .... unless U got deep holes th@ need fill n in 1st
cya
yeah I can see that working fairly well, would slow the trip down over the 5km or so though… also would be good to get it rego’d so it can travel to a couple of other properties (cattle properties run together) and maybe a bit of drainage and fence line work too

More
2 years 6 months ago #226315 by wedgetail84

Grader brakes are always problematic........generally two wheel ,hydraulic drums,with a booster worked by the main oil hydraulics......these are a very expensive unit..........anyhoo ,back to the "brake drums"......generaly the drums and wheels are one big lump of cast iron.....about 250kg .......to do the brakes ,the big cast iron wheel centre must be removed ......its on a keyed taper........and will be super tight ......or it will be loose and the keyway flogged half way round the wheel.
I’m Guessing they’re similar to 17K brakes? I’m reasonably familiar with them, rebuilt one a few years ago and got it so I could lock all 4 wheels up when travelling flat out in top, was a pretty good feeling. I think it was only possible Because Tilly’s wheel cylinders were actually over size from the originals. I borrowed a big puller that involved bearing the nut with a sledge hammer, although I was told I’d need a 50T porta pack. I had a gantry set up running the same direction as the axles, was great as the whole drum could slide smoothly off.

Sadly my current set up is more back yard so I’ll have to make a puller and rig a sling and lever block off the skid steer maybe
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226322 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Galion Grader 104

You know, I could be wrong here, usually am, but I had some vague ideas that Gallion, or Galion, also used the smaller 6 cylinder Leyland engines?
Or I may be thinking of Aveling-Barfords, some of those single drive jiggers.
Sometimes unkindly called 'Travelling Bas...ds!'
Dave_64
Don't "know of the travelling bit but had heard of them referred to as "Ailing B's"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.539 seconds