Skip to main content

international 414

More
13 years 6 months ago #22879 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: international 414
Hey Joe if its on the net its mine to pinch!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #22880 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: international 414
Paul ,Isn't that the truck soon to star in the latest mad max film ? Should be a nice jigsaw puzzle to put back together once they have finished with it :o. Ian .

More
13 years 6 months ago #22881 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: international 414
I don't know Ian. As far as i Know thats the next in line restoration for Joe. ( once he buys it )

More
13 years 6 months ago #22882 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: international 414
Paul,
Yep, if you put it up in a public place it's fair game. But good net etiquette would be to acknowledge the source.

I've noticed someone copying photos of mine and others from this forum and posting on some truck related Facebook groups without acknowledgement. And then others thank him for his contribution!!!!

(Michael Fraser are you lurking?)

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #22883 by
Replied by on topic Re: international 414
All you need to do, if you find someone has pinched your photos (or even worse, your write-ups) .. is find their email address, and notify them that you hold the copyright on the item .. and you will commence legal action against them, unless the item is removed.
A lot of people allow the "swiper" to use the item, provided they're acknowledged as the owner .. and the "swiper" isn't using the item for commercial gain.
99.9999% of people remove an item when they have been warned that the copyright holder has been alerted to the "swiping", and that they want the item removed.

Copyright laws are very strict .. however, there are instances where you can copy an item without paying the copyright owner. Also, note that copyright laws vary from country to country.

You can copy an item for educational discussion. You can copy up to 10% of the text of written document for educational purposes. You can borrow a photo off the internet and post it elsewhere, provided you don't claim you took the picture, or start making money from it. Making money out of someone elses efforts, is where you can really expect to get a lawyers letter.

If you swipe a photo, and repost it .. it's generally accepted good form, that you acknowledge the owner of the photo. Of course, in many cases, the owner of the photo is often unknown .. and in many cases, a lot of people don't care too much about the photo being re-used on another site.

Areas where you can get into trouble ..

1. Swiping someones photo and using it to sell your similar item on eBay ..
2. Swiping someones photo, and re-using it to denigrate, demean, or generally slander another person .. :(
3. Swiping someones write-up, and pretending its yours, and using it for some kind of personal gain ..
4. Swiping cartoons and reposting them. Cartoonists are very touchy about their cartooning work. They are a 100% personal effort by the cartoonist, and he uses them to make his living.
Gary Larsen, the cartoonist who draws all the funny cow and animal cartoons, has made sure that every single person who swipes his cartoons, and re-posts them, is tracked down, and the copies removed from the 'net.
He's very jealous of his work, and he's entitled to ensure that no-one copies them, because people who copy his cartoons are wrecking his ability to make a living from selling them.

Copyright limits extend to varying times, depending on the country, and the owner. Where copyright is held by a person, the copyright usually extends to somewhere between 50 and 75 yrs, or while the person is still alive.
Where copyright is held by a company or corporation, the copyright only exists while the original company or corporation is still in existence.
If a company no longer exists (such as White Motor Corp, or a 1000 other car, truck and tractor manufacturers), you are pretty safe in copying any of their stuff, and even reproducing it and making money from reproductions.
If that company has sold out, though .. the new owner becomes the copyright holder of all the previous companys/corporations items, where copyright exists.

Copyright can only exist where you or a company or corporation has produced a new item (photo or text) by your/its efforts.
You can't claim copyright on items that have existed previously, and that you have only modified.

Caterpillar keep a team of company Rottweiler lawyers on standby, and don't hesitate to pounce on anyone copying anything Caterpillar .. particularly its symbols, logos, or images .. or anything associating their name with any other item, without their approval. They have always done this, and this attitude goes right back to when Ben Holt owned the Holt Tractor Co.
Ben Holt sued the pants off anyone who used anything even vaguely representative of Cat trademarks, images, or names. He would send his lawyers world-wide, to track down people trying to ride on, or copy, his companys good name and image. Cat follow that tradition to a T.

Few people realise that Cat have renewed copyright on every single one of their fonts, logos, and product names .. going right back to when the the company was first formed in April 1925.
So don't by any stretch, imagine, that that 80 yr old Cat image or logo, or trademark, is now free of copyright .. because it isn't .. and Cat will continue to make sure it isn't.
If you copy a Cat trademark or copyright item, be sure that you put in a note .. that all Caterpillar logos, names, images, etc, that are identifiably Cat .. remain the property of Cat .. where they are the copyright/trademark holder.

More
13 years 6 months ago #22884 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: international 414
and i thought this thread was about a international 414 tractor

13 years 6 months ago #22885 by
We are the masters of thread drift .. are you one of the dreaded, thread drift Police?? .. :o ;D

13 years 6 months ago #22886 by
And this is what happens when Joe comes back a thread turns too SH%T ;D ;D ;D

More
13 years 6 months ago #22887 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: international 414
Hi One track , So what about when you and others post pages from cat manuals when helping others on forums . Does that fall under the education purpose loophole? Ian .

More
13 years 6 months ago #22888 by Jake Brake
Replied by Jake Brake on topic Re: international 414

Areas where you can get into trouble ..
1. Swiping someones photo and using it to sell your similar item on eBay ..

I was just looking on ebay under White Road Commander and I found this!! Go to link:
cgi.ebay.com.au/White-Road-Commander-day...&hash=item3a5ecf4b1e

If you click on the 2nd small picture you will see that this seller has used my truck picture (posted on this forum). They never asked my permission! Maybe I should ask for a free model seeing they're using MY photo to promote THEIR models for THEIR financial gain!! I would have preferred if they'd asked first.
Ray

White the greatest name in trucks.

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds