Skip to main content

Humpty Dumpy is making me Grumpy

More
1 year 1 month ago #244927 by cobbadog
Yes Paul, full mechanical operation. As John mentioned the earlier pic shows a funny looking round rod that has wedge shapes ground into 2 sides. A small roller runs along this wedge and against another wedge shape on the slugs that in turn push the brake shoes out towards the drum. The opposite side has the 6 sided bolt that you wind in to make the adjustment. In makes them fit against the drum and out clears them from the drum. So simple to adjust, I just wind the adjuster in until it locks the wheel assembly then back off a couple of turns so the wheel spins freely.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #244928 by JOHN.K.
If you add a hydraulic push or pull cylinder ,you have the hydraulic wedge brakes ......on a car or truck,these brakes are self compensating ,as the shoes can move from side to side through the wedge assy,which makes them act as leading shoe in either direction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago #244990 by cobbadog
Oliver50 found and gave me the yellow spring to try. It is the same length and gauge of wire so same tension. Fits a different way but still fits and even better it works. Assembled the rest and adjusted the brake and it is all good now. Next is to check the diff oil and add if needed.
I had already started to make the rod for the hand brake lever. I took a guess at the shape and had to make a slight change but in the end after testing this one it works so it got a coat of Satin Black

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, Southbound, V8Ian

More
1 year 1 month ago #244991 by cobbadog
You can see the old cable one I made up while tracking down what should be in place. Only reason for failure over time is that it was the wrong cable.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 1 month ago #244999 by V8Ian

You can see the old cable one I made up while tracking down what should be in place. Only reason for failure over time is that it was the wrong cable.
I noticed the Hills looked a bit light on. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 1 month ago #245010 by cobbadog
Job done and she's a beauty.
Hand brake rod designed, made, painted and fitted. Even better it works as it should. Lever throws over centre to hold it on and drops right off to release. What more could a bloke ask for? Will crank him up tomorrow and do a run and test the brakes to make sure they don't pull to one side.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
1 year 1 month ago #245011 by wee-allis
As my old man would say, "You done good bloke."
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #245054 by cobbadog
Long story short is I listed Humpty up for sale yesterday. Got a lot of enquiries most were genuine and 4 were serious enquiries. First bloke was more curious as he was out at Gunnedah but the others indicated they wanted Humpty. So first one off the rank I contacted and he asked if he could come up today to look as did the other two. I told them to sit tight as the first bloke was on his way. He got here and put the full amount down on the table then asked if we could start and drive it up n down the driveway. He left saying he will be back in the morning to take him away. I ahve no doubt he will be back as I have his money and almost his dumpy.
Will be sad to see Humpty go but we had our fun and need to clear some toys that are no longer being used which only devalues them over time.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Morris, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Southbound, V8Ian

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #245055 by Sarge
Well done Cobba, clear space in the shed is a real thing..... it's as good as a bigger shed.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Southbound

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #245058 by PDU
What space?

Anybody need a Triumph 2000 or two?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.593 seconds