Skip to main content

Out n about

More
12 years 6 months ago #65611 by Intermodel63
Replied by Intermodel63 on topic Re: Out n about
Swishy

I remember the dredge working in the mid 60's. The grey matter tells me that it was powered by a electric cable which was floated on the pond with drums or such, can't recall seeing the dragline working, memory a bit faded. Possibly why I forget to tell the missus when I buy stuff on fleabay ;). Keep the pics coming.

Graham

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 6 months ago #65612 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Out n about

SeedMan
M80
the Colleambaly Dagline looks like its got a owner
Well it did look th@ way in 2004 when eye wandered off the Melway
LOL

n here B the Kelly n Lewis pump
jist layn on the ground near the dredge await n for the chox

did read th@ the dragline came from the State Electricity of Victoria Yallorn open cut
but proved 2 B useless

U 2 can read all about the beast
www.proactiveinvestors.com.au/companies/...-victoria-18615.html

Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 6 months ago #65613 by farmer brown
Replied by farmer brown on topic Re: Out n about
Shame ya wern't out and about on the 2nd week end in feb. Ya could av crosed the road had a frothy and checked out some real horse power ( the four leged hang on t ya hat type) while Mrs swish hit the town.

More
12 years 6 months ago #65614 by farmer brown
Replied by farmer brown on topic Re: Out n about
Did hear a yarn that the enterprise whent belly up after they scraped the top off and foung the remnents of a horizontal shaft, suposedely built by the chinese without the knowlege of the apropriate authoritrys. ::)
They,d already cleaned out all the shiny stuff ;)

More
12 years 6 months ago #65615 by ute253
Replied by ute253 on topic Re: Out n about
Just adding my 2 bobs worth, if you guys are up in the N/E of victoria call in at Eldorado and see another of these dredges. Its much bigger and for all purpose looks like a floating shed, bigger than Swishy's shed.

Its got a bit a list on it now as on of the pontoons has sprung a leak quite a few years ago. The preservation society have installed a cathode type rust prevention system to it to slow the decay.

Is all electrically powered, rumour had the lights around the district would dim when she operated at full noise and an extra shift was required at old Yallorn power station to keep the juice up to her LOL :) :) :)

I think it last operated in the fifties bidstbc on that one. One of my old lodge mates was a distribution officer with the old SEC when it was in operation and he said you could hear it for miles and you had to be quick on the switch gear when it came online.

These dredges certainly made some good deep swimming holes but are not so environmently friendly with the mess they leave behind. You can certainly see the altered landscape around where the Eldorado one worked.

I've got photos somewhere, I'll try to dig out and scan and post .

Cheers David

Diamond T P3320 x 2&&Studebaker US6 6x6&&HQ GTS Coupe&&HQ ute&&HG ut

Time to create page: 0.466 seconds