11 years 6 months ago #96980 by elgindale
Replied by elgindale on topic Re: Old Ski Boats
Great sound thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: melonreo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #96981 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Old Ski Boats
Good one Melon. Here's another one, I sold it before I got the one we use now. Lewis fibreglass hull, wood deck, 308 Holden with copper exhausts.

More
11 years 6 months ago #96982 by geoffb

More
11 years 6 months ago #96983 by bigcam
Hi Geoff, I'm standing on the bank taking taking pictures. I might get around in bare feet on land, but I'm not that good to do it behind the boat. Old mate actually has a ski strapped to his feet.

More
11 years 6 months ago #96984 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Old Ski Boats
Geoff,
Actually he would be a thong-footer.

Lang

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #96985 by HeyCharger
Replied by HeyCharger on topic Re: Old Ski Boats
Cypress gardens - Florida

So far cannot find any old classic aussie clips.
I remember my brother-in-law used to do what I think was called a whip manoeuvre.
The ski boat would do a very tight (say) left hand 180 deg turn, whilst the skier did a clockwise (right hand) circle around the boat.
Very impressive.
That was down at Goolwa SA

and from The Brisbane Courier Monday 10 December 1923;
SPEED BOAT RECORD.
A MILE IN 1-4.
METEOR'S DASH AT HAMILTON.
At Hamilton on Saturday Major Darcy Donkin's Meteor (fitted with two 350 h.p.Rolls-Royce engines) established an Australian speed boat mile record. The distance was covered in 1min. 4sec, but owing to a misunderstanding in the timing the record was given as 1min. 11sec.
MT. J. M'G. Williams' Century Tire (350 hp. Liberty Engine), Which arrived from America recently, covered the course in 1-10.
Each boat made two dashes over the distance. The boats are considered capable of greater speed, which leads added interest to their meeting in a scratch event at the weekend.
The commodore of the club (Mr. G. W. Whatmore) entertained a party on board his yacht Narwonah, which was flagship for the day.
www.tropikkal.com/speedboats/plans.htm

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by HeyCharger.

More
11 years 6 months ago #96986 by bigcam
Great video, thanks Rod. Some nice old boats, and they are the kings of talking it up.LOL.

The thing your Brother in law used to do we call a round the world, get the skier to cut as hard as they can when you start a whip, then as they come around, back off the boat and turn it the other way, if the skier has enough momentum they'll keep going as the boat turns the other way. Trick is for the skier not to look at the boat, because when you look at the boat you try and turn yourself to where you reckon the rope will pull you from, if you just keep going it all seems to work out. It's as much a drivers trick, the skier really only needs to be able to cut hard and be comfortable with a bit of speed. Looks pretty impressive as you say and a bit of fun.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #96987 by HeyCharger
Replied by HeyCharger on topic Re: Old Ski Boats
Thanks for the explanation. I was only a little tacker at the time ;) but I vaguely remember it. Haven't seen it done since then. If anyone has old footage ::)

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2094848...e-boat-Tasmania.html

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by HeyCharger.

More
11 years 5 months ago #96988 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: Old Ski Boats
i went down to lake talbot at narranderra 0n the 11th of nov to see a gathering of old timber boats, it was in the middle of my nightshift ,so i got home had a couple of hours sleep ,got the better half to drive me down to narranderra for 1 1/2 hrs looky see and then home again and back to work :-/
this is a orginisation for old wood boats and it is called
CAWPBA (classi australian wooden power boat association) /www.cawpba.com/ , there is a link to a forum which is under bulletin board cawpba.com/phpBB3/ enjoy

this boat is only 11 months old , the owner built it in 10 months it is made from a set of GLEN-L plans and the model is a ski-king

here is a couple of LEWIS boats

More
11 years 5 months ago #96989 by bigcam
Some nice boats there Melon.
Did you get a ski in?

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds