Skip to main content

1938 Fargo Pickup.

More
6 years 2 months ago #190844 by someguy
Replied by someguy on topic 1938 Fargo Pickup.
Thanks Lang, the photos and info is much appreciated.
The numbers seem to raise more questions about the engine
in my truck. I may have to ask my uncles some more questions.
Maybe there was an engine failure early in its life?.?

Yer not lernin if yer mouth is open

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #190866 by someguy
installed the mystery engine on the weekend. The rear engine mounts were toast and I couldn't find the same ones for sale anywhere that I looked. I found a polyurethane mount rebuild kit from suspension.com. I used the 60A durometer (softest) and they turned out really nice and it was very reasonably priced.

[img]http:/photos.smugmug.com/Oldstuff/Miserable-Old-things/i-mg7hrmr/0/5d46293f/M/IMG_3540-M.jpg[/img]
[img]http:/photos.smugmug.com/Oldstuff/Miserable-Old-things/i-fGdvpLh/0/819700ad/M/IMG_9191-M.jpg[/img]

Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by someguy. Reason: Added pic
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198535 by someguy
Hello all, I have finally done some more to the Fargo. Front end is on, rebuilt radiator is in, cleaned up and resealed the tranny, cleaned up and redid the drive shaft, cleaned up and resealed the steering box.

As you can see in the photos (camera lens on my phone was scratched up causing the hazy photos), I am still finding mouse nests and dead animals. the last photo shows how back in the day somebody used a Singer sewing machine oil can to thoughtfully craft a new defroster vent. I guess you have to do what you can in Rural Saskatchewan haha.

Every time I take a bracket out of the truck it seems they are either cracked or broken so there has been much sandblasting and welding as well. Ive stopped predicting a time line for it running so I'll just say sooner or later.

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by someguy. Reason: spelling error
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, eerfree, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Southbound

More
5 years 2 months ago #198592 by someguy
I have a question about how to remove the headlight switch knob off of the switch? Is this a stupid question?
I'd hate to damage it.

I doesn't look overly obvious and I can't seem to find any info about it. Not even in the old shop manual for it.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198593 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1938 Fargo Pickup.
I have the same switches. There should either be a tiny little grub screw on the bottom of the plastic knob or the knob is threaded.

Here are replacement knobs for $3 each upward depending on type.
drive.google.com/file/d/0BxzO_Oy1EMLISW9IS09ZTF9ZcDA/view

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: someguy

More
5 years 2 months ago #198596 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic 1938 Fargo Pickup.
Hi Someguy This is how mind came off the Bedford The hole in mind was full of gunk witch made it hard to see the hole. Hope this helps. Cheers Fill
[img
100_3411 by fill quinn , on Flickr

More
5 years 2 months ago #198600 by Dodgeydude
Replied by Dodgeydude on topic 1938 Fargo Pickup.
On my Dodge there is a little button on the light switch near the terminals push it and knob will pull out with shaft. Unscrew the faceplate and viola! I suggest you carefully note wiring positions before disconnecting anything. From memory the contacts are live so disconnect the battery or you have sparks.

Many useful things fall off trucks

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198602 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic 1938 Fargo Pickup.
Dodgeydude is correct. To reinstall, just push shaft and knob in and it will lock in place.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by overnite.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198603 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1938 Fargo Pickup.
I think this is the style Dodgy and Overnight are talking about. I do not think this release method came in until much later than the 38 truck.

I suspect one of these is the style on the 38 ute. They are listed for the 37-46 period Dodge, Plymouth De Soto both cars and truck.

Type 1 is a push on with a grub screw inside the slot.

Type 2 is a screw on with a grub screw holder. This is a modern repro but the old one is the same except the screw is a straight slot not an Allen screw.

Here is a genuine 1938 Dodge truck switch. Looks like the push on with the grub screw in the slot is the one.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198608 by someguy
Thanks for all the info guys! Its about -25 C here today with a good wind, so the couch or the garage are the only places I care to be, I pick the garage. :)

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds