Replied by huppypuppy on topic Re: Basils Bitza
Pat,

I love that one!

Joe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #12842 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Basils Bitza
I thought it was the 6 cylinder Mack and Scania that shared some design.The V8`s have never looked similar,Mack use 4 cylinder heads,and Scania use 8.I don`t know about the new trucks,as in the last 15-20 years,but with the older ones,one thing Mack and Scania shared was designs that where easy to work on.

More
14 years 8 months ago #12843 by huppypuppy
Replied by huppypuppy on topic Re: Basils Bitza
Cam,

That's my point exactly! The design was what Scania and Mack shared - nothing internal!

Joe

More
14 years 8 months ago #12844 by bigcam
We went past a boat the other day that was called- "Sir Roses of the River"

More
14 years 8 months ago #12845 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: Basils Bitza
what about
PORK-HUNTER

14 years 8 months ago #12846 by
Replied by on topic Re: Basils Bitza
Heres one mate Techincolour Yawn. Dave

More
14 years 8 months ago #12847 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Basils Bitza
Basil,

Out of interest, what's involved in getting such a bitzsa on the road down under - when I was here in 1986, I had a few mates mucking around with cars, and remember, for example, you had to get an engineer's report if you wanted to stuff a V8 in an EJ Holden.

What's the spin on trucks? Do you get round it by classifying it as a re-cab? In both Austria and Israel such mods would get you into no end of trouble with the authorities. If it's non-standard, it must be dangerous and "yous plebs should not be changing what [enter name of respected manufacturer's] engineers designed" etc., etc.

By the way, as the Scania V8 is 40 years old, the factory had a special page made for the event: [ftp] www3.scania.com/en/V8/Global/V8-Around-The-World/ [/ftp]. Don't expect any confessions like "we come clean, we developed it together with Mack". Having said that... I have heard these rumors before, but not in connection with the V8, it's the 6 I'm talking about (see this discussion on the ATHS forum [ftp] forums.aths.org/InstantForum414/Topic56250-4-1.aspx ?[/ftp] - thread starts from back to front). Not sure meself, but it's an open fact Scania did built Mack buses under licence, so who knows?

Cheers,

T

PS: A Scania Mack, from before they changed from RHD to LHD in Sweden:

More
14 years 8 months ago #12848 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Basils Bitza
Hi Tatra,

In WA if your upfront with any mod your planning to do with the consulting engineer its pretty easy.
It only gets hard when you have something to hide. If they knock you back its usually for pretty good reason.
I had him come to visit and have a look at what I was proposing to do and as long as I follow the worksheet for cab change in the modified vehicle book its no problem.
You have to do it this way if you want to retain the full GCM rating. It has to be safe.
Technically as im a qualified mechanical engineer I can do it myself but normally in this case they will ask for consulting engineer to review so its easier to have them do it and stay out of it. Its a good thing to get a second person to check what youve done as we are all human and could overlook something that could go pear shaped.
Because I havent had to modify any steering gear its made it easy.
Brake system is unchanged and good engineering practice is applied to remounting the brake foot valve, likewise the cab mountings.
The cab has to be equipped to the function to that it replaced so I have to have seat belts, windscreen washer and windscreen demist.
He wants to inspect it once final assembly is complete before its presented for licencing. :)

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
14 years 8 months ago #12849 by bigcam
Hi Tatra,if you google VSB6 australia,you will probobly get the Vehicle Standards Bullitin.The VSB 6 is Australia`s national code of practice,however all the states treat it differently.In most cases,it`s easier to update an older chassis than getting a new one and putting an old cab on it.Basil has obviously done the yards here.Being very,very general,If it`s an old truck,it only has to come up to the specs of the time it was registered,but if you`ve got a later chassis and put an older cab on it,it must meet all the Australian Design Rules (ADR`s),of the time the chassis was new,which can sometimes be a bit tricky.Hot Rods are are a good example,if you modify a 34 Ford chassis,you can rego it on full rego,but if you start from scratch and build yourself a chassis,it becomes a hotrod,and it need to registered as a special interest vehicle.Anyway this is a bit of a generalisation,ask Basil to shoot you a couple of pics of his R190 Inter,I`ve only seen pics,but it looks like one well put together bit of gear.

More
14 years 8 months ago #12850 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Basils Bitza
Basil, Bigcam,

Thanks for the info - this sounds like fair dinkum to me - only wish "civil servants" here were as reasonable as Aussi ones... In Israel they also have the "two years" rule, that is, if a truck with a GVW higher than 12T has been of the road for more than 2 years, at the end of this period you either roadworthy it and tax it or it is not allowed on the road again. Ever. The smaller vehicles you can get a collector's reg for, the bigger ones... >:(

People are working on getting a collector's reg for over 12T vehicles, but wer'e talking about Israeli bureaucrats here, so all people can do for the time being is collect whatever they find and put it away with the hope the reg would be changed some stage. Other than that, you keep your eyes open for grandad flinstone who's about to retire and get the truck of him before he put it away for good...

In Austria, the above is not a problem (you can re-reg after a restoration), but for any mod you have to go to a govt test centre and at the hand of whoever is doing the test. The tendency is not to allow mods because there are no clear guidelines to what is allowed or not, so whoever gives you the permit is terrified of being held responsible if you later hit 20 pedestrians on account of badly designed braking system...

Hope this makes you feel luckier to be in Oz:)

Cheers,

T

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds