Skip to main content

Dodge tow trucks

More
14 years 8 months ago #14041 by cribotow
Replied by cribotow on topic Re: Dodge tow trucks
yes i will have have a chat to him be handy for info...

the tyres are 11R22.5 tubeless,cheapest size tyre around!!
and should get my road speed up nicely...and they do look cool!!

&&Grasp

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #14042 by cribotow
oh yeah Ken im down near Hastings on Mornington Peninsula ..

&&Grasp

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 8 months ago #14043 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Dodge tow trucks

Cripotow
GuddayM8
Twaz down your way jist the other day (well seemed like it)
Wooleys Rd

Just deliver n a grader so they could make the new BP refinery
LOL
CribPoint: jist an outer suburb of Melbourne
LOL

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 8 months ago #14044 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Dodge tow trucks
on my 700 At4 the 22.5 tubeless rims scrap on close to full lock :( .. ..for the extra road speed i purchased a "joey" box

More
14 years 8 months ago #14045 by cribotow
Hey before i have 2nd look i thought mayb you stopped to quick with that grader!! i remember that truck when i was a little kid riding my mini bike up to the Nunawading tip mini bike track think i was bout 9 then, think im bout 46 now!!! we is getting Boral Bituman ship unloading plant down here now,love the smell of Hotmix!!! ever morning!!! http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/cribpointtowing/IMG_0930.jpg?t=1251966047

did your load ever travel at 1000kph??? mine did!!! :D

&&Grasp

More
14 years 8 months ago #14046 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: Dodge tow trucks
Hi Cribby,
Nice trucks. Nothing like a well rounded obsession to keep you poor! I too frequented the Nunawading tip site as a kid, few year before you though.

::) ::)

Dennis

• Swishy
More
14 years 7 months ago #14047 by Swishy

Cripotow
GuddayM8

Sme again

RE: did your load ever travel at 1000kph??? mine did!!!

No but mine did crap a ton

LOL

The only regret I have is not getn a happy snap of Brocky in a Torana on back of float
They used the float to capture the background as I drove the Arthurs Seat rd with all the filming crew on deck of float for the Torana ad of Radial Tuned Suspension Way Back When?

;D

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 7 months ago #14048 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Dodge tow trucks
Hello Cribpoint

The photo of your red Dodge reminded me on one that used to do some of the local heavy recovery around Townsville in the 1970's.

Same model with a Perkins up front. They built their own lifting gear (you could do that back then) which was a latice jib arrangement with the mechanical winch driven off the gearbox PTO.

The company was a family affair - a father and his twin sons. One was a mechanic and the other a panel beater and Dad answered the phone and did some of the towing. They started off with a smaller truck and expanded the fleet with the 'big' Dodge.

At the time I was running the workshop for a local truck dealer - so had a bit of interaction with the Dodge and its operators.

Anyway - when they kicked off with the big Dodge this team did'nt know much about trucks or towing them - so they had to be handled carefully when one wanted them to do a job.

Their first question was always - 'how heavy is it'? I'd learnt that the biggest lift they had done was about 5 ton and the biggest pull was around 14ton - a Greyhound bus. And that became their guide (the bench mark) - the max job they would take on.

So everything I need doing was automatically under those limits - and they didnt know any different.

I got them out one day to do a bogie drive prime mover coupled to a spread axle trailer - all grossly overloaded with a tier and a half of 'tin'. Tin ore was carted in 4 gallon (20ltr) keroscene tins - and one tier along the floor was a full legal load.

This outfit was probably grossing around 40ton. But because of the low height of the loading and the fact it was tarped - it all looked about the '14ton' mark. Addmittedly - I was planning to drop the trailer and only bringing the prime mover home. But when we got to the job - dropping the trailer on the spot wasnt an option. Both due to the surface conditions and the value of the load.

So I convinced them to hook the whole rig up, leaving the steer tyres of the prime mover with some weight on them (so we didnt exceed our '5ton lift' barrier) but with a fair bit of weight on the Dodge for traction.

The semi had put the fan thru the radiator - so I got him to start it up and give a hand to get everything rolling - and then he shut it down again before it got hot.

The old Dodge draged him about 10 klm to a small town with a cop shop. We dropped the trailer outside and asked the cop to guard the 'little load' that was under the tarp.

To this day - the towie doesnt know just how good that little Dodge was and a 5ton lift and 14ton pull (that Greyhound bus) always remained as the best/biggest job she ever did.

Oldfulla

More
14 years 7 months ago #14049 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Dodge tow trucks
i bet the perkins would have known the weight she was pulling ! . then again 40lbs or 40 tons wouldnt make much difference they are always slow ! :D

• Swishy
More
14 years 7 months ago #14050 by Swishy

Tow Truck Drivers Bad Day

(U probly all seen all these)

CliknHereWillGetchaThere

OR

OR

OR