Skip to main content

Fitting a joey in the C Line

More
14 years 7 months ago #14359 by IHScout
I'm looking getting a better top speed from the C Line - currently 80ks flat chat. I can get an Inter 3 speed Joey for under $500 with overdrive. That plus 10.00 tires might get me humming along at a reasonable rate at reasonable revs. Does anyone know how easy it would be to fit a joey. Would I need to modify the tail shaft? There's not much length between the back of the gearbox and the diff, so will that cause problems? Opinions and advice welcome.

Dennis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #14360 by kennymopar2
the joeys arnt that hard to fit .. theres a short tailshaft from your main box to the 'joey" then obviously another tailshaft from the joey to the diff..if you just want to use it for the overdrive you could probably leave the joeys gearchange in the overdrive position,that way you wont have to have the hassles of a extra gearlever in the cab .. from memory 10.00 tyres will give around 5%+ extra speed over 900/20 tyres
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by kennymopar2.

More
14 years 7 months ago #14361 by atkipete
It was an option on the ACCO bogie drive tippers during the 60s but you would have problems fitting it to a short wheelbase vehicle. I don't think IH offered it on short 4x2s for this reason.

More
14 years 7 months ago #14362 by mikeg
Be wary about leaving a joey in overdrive full time, o/d is a weak gear and will stuff up under load

More
14 years 7 months ago #14363 by IHScout
Thanks for that. I'm sure I've seen similar a similar model Dodge with a joey, but it may have been a longer wheelbase.

Dennis

More
14 years 7 months ago #14364 by kennymopar2
my joey box was in a dodge 784 tandem (short wheelbase) they are a strong little box

14 years 7 months ago #14365 by
Replied by on topic Re: Fitting a joey in the C Line
IHScout, Wouldn't know of where you could get a second Joey like that would you?

Would be just the thing for my AB!

More
14 years 7 months ago #14366 by IHScout
Hi Jarrod,
I just found it advertised in Just Trucks. Not the first ad I've seen either.

Dennis

14 years 7 months ago #14367 by
Replied by on topic Re: Fitting a joey in the C Line
Ah! Will have to start looking at Just trucks again.

Always thought it mainly had modern stuff in it. :D

But I suppose especially a joey doesn't matter abouts it age as long it is the right size for the vehicle!

More
14 years 7 months ago #14368 by cribotow
Dont go 10.00x20 go tubeless 11Rx22.5 lots of cheap tyres to chose from,big increase over 9.00x20,then again you need spiders........

&&Grasp

Time to create page: 0.463 seconds