Skip to main content

Fitting a joey in the C Line

More
14 years 7 months ago #14369 by Colin
Hi! Mikeg is right, be wary about leaving a joey in overdrive.I have a three speed joey and I use normal direct drive around town and until I am cruising at 70kmh then I change to over drive cutting down engine noise and revs. This allows me to cruise at 100kmh.
One of the bus club guys had a joey in his motorhome and left it in overdrive all the time. He had to slip the clutch a lot to take off, soon burning out the plate. He had trouble changing the joey because it is a crash gear box. He has sinse learned how to double de-clutch and now can change from direct to O/D and back without trashing the box and his clutch .
Colin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #14370 by kennymopar2
the bus driver maybe should of learnt from the beginning to take off in 1st gear with a load not 2nd gear :D

More
14 years 7 months ago #14371 by krankandhope
Gday Don,t know if its any help but i think the dodges and some inters came out with a five speed with overdrive in fifth,possibly designated T34,can,t remember if its the right number.They were fairly rare, most often fitted behind perkins,but might be easier than fitting a joey if room is an issue.We once fitted a david brown 3speed joey into a ford blitz to get a bit more road speed when empty, worked well, biggiest problem was adapting to rear yoke.

More
14 years 7 months ago #14372 by bparo
Hey JBlair,

Before you spend money on a joey check out that gearbox of ours at your place. The guy who gave it to us was not sure if it was a 4 or 5 speed but said it was probably a 4 so it may be worth taking the cover off for a look.

The 5th may not be an overdrive but may enable you to fit a diff that is better for road speed.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

14 years 7 months ago #14373 by
Replied by on topic Re: Fitting a joey in the C Line
Bparo,

Haven't even had the cover off! Just filled it away. Will have a look.

Jblair

Time to create page: 0.425 seconds