Skip to main content

d1310 inter resto

More
9 years 4 months ago #152358 by trucksyd
d1310 inter resto was created by trucksyd
gday , i bought this ex tow truck back in 2012, thinking i could clean it up , fix it , & get it back on the road within 6 months.....

the old girl still had the towing gear on it, less winch , & the bloke i bought it off had all intentions of doing it up , but ran out of cash ,the bad part about it was he didnt have it under shelter & it copped a few years in the weather sitting ,rust was in the front of the bonnet ,lower doors etc.
the truck did start ,run , most of the gauges,lights, etc worked..
[img][/img]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152359 by Mac 57
Replied by Mac 57 on topic Re: d1310 inter resto
trucksyd,
By the look of the photo the old girl doesn't seem to bad and should be an easy fix to get it up to scratch.
Have you started repairing the lower door sections?
Cheers
Mac

More
9 years 4 months ago #152360 by trucksyd
Replied by trucksyd on topic Re: d1310 inter resto
thanks....not yet ,i have done one side , but i will just bog it for the blue slip, then start welding patches, some of the roof, & front of the bonnet need doing also..

More
9 years 4 months ago #152361 by trucksyd
the towing gear was still attached when i first bought it.Unfortunately the previous owner hadnt had the truck under shelter for a few years.he had plans of fitting a chev engine etc,i am keeping the 281 ,4 speed , it goes ok.

i removed all of the towing hitch, & all the bracing attached to the tray, there was a fare bit of cutting involved.A square section in the middle of the tray was missing , so i got some steel & welded it in ,then rubbed back the tray,getting it ready for a few coats of enamel that i brushed on.

The seat as in many of these trucks was trashed,i got a few quotes off different upholsters .

I am in western sydney , & there was a few blokes to choose from , one bloke wanted $750, the other bloke $550..& this bloke from emu plains (johns auto trim 0418 296 262)behind the station ,he wanted $450 , so i went with him ,i also sourced some retractable seatbelts from the wreckers & fitted them....

More
9 years 4 months ago #152362 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: d1310 inter resto
that seat looks the ducks guts... good choice.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152363 by trucksyd
;)thanks,yeah the bloke sure knows what he,s doing .He had a cadillac in there when mine was getting stitched, also a nice c -line prime mover...

More
9 years 4 months ago #152364 by Backyard Fixer
The checker floor mat look tops.

Did you have bolt holes to fix the seat belts too?

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

More
9 years 4 months ago #152365 by trucksyd
Thanks mate, there were some holes as there was a set of old lap sash belts, but I had to make up some brackets out of 7mm mild steel ,I just cut & drilled, it didn't take to long, & just got some retractable ones from the wreckers out of an old Nissan Pajero.

More
9 years 2 months ago #152366 by trucksyd
i did some more rust repairs today,i thought this curved repair would be difficult ,as i have only done straight repairs but it wasnt that hard ....
i just measured & cut from 0.9mm steel, going slowly with the cutting wheel

after i marked out & cut the section ,the piece wasnt entirely accurate.So i got the grinder & gently ran along the sides of the cut piece until it had a neat fit ..

i bought this welder for $350, i havnt used a welder much , but thought it couldnt be too hard ....

most of the other welders were 3 phase , so i wanted something just for these small repairs ,its just 240 volt..

i just use small tack welds, & i try & weld with as much light as possible, to see where im going.as my eyes arent the best these days! so i pulled the truck out from under the carport ,that way i can see every tack weld.This creates a more accurate weld.

as u can see the right side of the patch started blowing holes through,thats because this bonnet isnt the best ,& is rotting from the inside, so i will have to get a small patch on it next time.

after grinding back i gave it a squirt of primer to stop it rusting ,this whole front strip has got rust in it, so i will have to do some more repairs soon,

i have had the truck for 21/2 years now,& i finally got rego, i was a bit worried about it as i had spent money on new tires $200 ea, starter motor reco, engine gaskets, new water pump, & a whole heap of other things. The truck didnt come with rego papers , so i thought i would get stopped at the rego office counter, thinking they may not pass it for some reason, but they did, so its on historic plates as i am a car club member.....happy days. :o

More
9 years 2 months ago #152367 by trucksyd
those dates on the camera are wrong ,actually ,feb 2015 :-?

Time to create page: 0.562 seconds