Skip to main content

Perkins Phaser 180 or 6v53?

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #155445 by wedgetail84
I need a bit of input here - not sure of a real world standing between these two. How do these two engines compare in terms of usability? As in the combination of reliability, power/torque, fuel consumption and any other factors? They seem similar on paper, with a slight edge to the DD in power but the phaser may have more torque, and take up less engine bay and weight less?

To put it in context - I want to repower my C1800 (bonneted). I came across a very good deal on a phaser 180 and bought it. Supposedly it's low hours and good internal condition. So far I've only been able to verify it's clean, complete, not seized and the oil looked OK (not milky at least). I've got it home and just need to find a FW and FW housing to start it, hopefully can borrow these off a neighbour (don't want to pull my 6354 just for a test start).

But I've always wanted a 6v53, mainly for the "detroit factor" than any real practical reason. Although the idea of not having to fork out for any expensive IP pump repairs and being able to rebuild the whole thing for not much is a major attraction too. And the sound... But then I have to admit I've never driven a truck with one in so am I in for a shock?

It won't be a work truck, or at least not at the moment, and unlikely to ever be a really serious one. Just something to act as the odd (oversize!) ute and to put a smile on me and my boys' face. Although may use it to build a house/work a property for us in the future.

I'm thinking (wishfully?) the phaser may be worth a bit assuming it really is in the condition it was described, and I may be able to swap it for a good running 6v53? If this assumption is wrong and it couldn't get me at least a nice running 6v53 (maybe even a gearbox to suit or is that really pushing my luck?) this whole thread is probably pointless as I'll just be putting the phaser in as I can't be forking out for a 6v53 on it's own. Then there's the rad to think about too - Mick at the Rock reckons my 6354 rad will be fine for the 180...

So if that text is too long - basically are these two comparable? Is one much better or more sort after than the other? And could I trade one for the other or is one a trade up?
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by wedgetail84.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #155446 by Mrsmackpaul
the perkins phaser motor would I feel be a lot cheaper to run and a lot nicer to drive and ride in
53 series Detriots you will be in for a shock if you have never driven one man your ears will stop ringing well maybe
there not nice by anything else buy todays standard Swishy will say Im wrong but I would rather spend my day driving a Perkins phaser than a 6-53
A 71 or 92 series GM's are much nicer motor

just some thoughts

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
9 years 1 month ago #155447 by kenny-mopar
id go the perkins especially due to the ease of fitment ... as much as i do like the detroits sometimes you have to admit the best sound they make is when you shut them down for the day :-X

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 1 month ago #155448 by Swishy
Ifn itz tooo loud

U're tooo old

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 1 month ago #155449 by wedgetail84
thanks guys, maybe I've watched too many youtube clips on them and am seeing them through rose-tinted-glasses... I can see the perkins would be a more relaxed drive.
So the perkins would use less fuel - what about power/torque? What about long term maintenance costs - would the detroit end up being cheaper overall due to rebuild costs and no IP rebuild fee?

More
9 years 1 month ago #155450 by overnite
The best thing about a Detroit is the noise.................... as long as its in someone else truck that's going past, and not in your cab.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 1 month ago #155451 by Swishy
Wedgy ifn U wanna truck in demand
chiky puller
a screeeeemer tiz the way 2 go
B able to roll into truck shows n gather a crowd

Jnr will B beetn the chiks orff wiff a big stik

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 1 month ago #155452 by kenny-mopar
if you dont work a detroit hard enough they do tend to glaze up not sure what a rebuild interval would be for a 6V53 but at a guess the perkins should see 600.000kms in reality in a older truck either motor should last till haleys comet comes around again

More
9 years 1 month ago #155453 by dieseldog
Wedge mate, don't worry about injection pumps too much. I'm pretty sure the Phaser has a Bosch VE injection pump, and I have just had one done up for a customer. This one was on a Yanmar marine engine and it had swallowed a gutfull of water at full noise which pretty much smashed everything inside the pump housing. I was quoted about $6k for a new one, but they were able to make one out two old ones, with a new pump element, cam plate, housing, fully sealed, tested and warranted for $2500. That worked out pretty cheap I thought.

I still reckon go for a Detroit though, even if it is just for the cool factor.... 8-) 8-)

More
9 years 1 month ago #155454 by wedgetail84
Hmm 3-2 to Perkins so far... My heart says the Detroit but my head says the Perkins. I've been obsessing over the screamer for a while now but this Perkins just fell in my lap. Wish I knew a bloke with one I could drive - maybe I'd be put off! Doubt it though.
Working the screamer hard enough has been a minor concern - could I just flog it down the highway every now and again to clear it out?

Time to create page: 0.448 seconds