Skip to main content

Perkins Phaser 180 or 6v53?

More
9 years 1 month ago #155455 by kenny-mopar
I'm pretty sure in the dodges the cab had to be lifted to fit the Detroit & gearbox in

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #155456 by geoffb
To much conversation here just go the Gm will never look back

More
9 years 1 month ago #155457 by steveb
Put the Perkadyne in and tell everyone you have a 6 cylinder Cat in the Inter.....Cat now own Perkins (IDSTBC)

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #155458 by wedgetail84
Well was planning on lifting the cab anyway - have 12.00-20s on it now for off-road and clearance is a bit tight. Plan on going 11r22.5 eventually so a bit more clearance will only be a good thing I reckon.

Why perkadyne - a reference to the stanadyne pump? Phaser 1006 is known as a cat 3056 when painted yellow, only by name though they're still made in the Perkins factory. Maybe I should paint it yellow then I can stick a cat powered badge on the old girl... Bit like a local has one on his cruiser, it doesn't sound stock but I don't think you can fit a cat donk in a 70 series!

So if I decide to go Gm the next question is obvious - what's worth more it or the Perkins? And would anyone want to trade?
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by wedgetail84.

More
9 years 1 month ago #155459 by theroadbossman
Aww, now you have opened the door: who would want to trade a screamer for a Perkins, nobody that I can think of..
If you are content with being a "me too" sort of guy then the Perkins will be fine I am sure. But as has been suggested by many more knowledgeable gents above, forget the chatter and make the move to the "brighter side of life" and get a GM.
You will make a decision for all the wrong reasons, until you hear it and drive it; then all your heartache will evaporate.

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
9 years 1 month ago #155460 by wedgetail84
Well it's not like it's an NA 6354 - it's a turbo phaser with 180hp and 415ft-lbs... But at heart I think I'm still wanting the screamer.

So I've been doing some looking at sale - it seems the phaser might be worth a bit more, although hard to precise of course. So in theory I think I could trade it, it's just finding the right person who has Gm and wants a phaser - and from this thread I gather that is unlikely! People seem a bit devided on the subject...

Better get her running first before I go any further.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #155461 by wedgetail84
OK well should have listened to my heart and the majority - fuel pump issues (got a few leads on cheap pumps but they all dell through, did think about pulling it apart but the condition of the pump made me think it'll never be right) and the feedback I got about them pushed me over the edge and I now have sitting in the shed (in pieces) a 6v53 twin turbo. Pistons and liners are mostly likely rooted (although may come good) but the rest going by the story and initial inspection should be only 300 old since a rebuild. It came out of a boat so have some trading to do with things like manifolds and heat exchanger but this will all take a while. So 6354's staying put for a while yet.

It was idling in a boat and there was an engine room fire (electrical) and powder was used. The engine ingested some and the liners and pistons are one. They've been soaking in ATF and I'll try heating and pressing apart, then if the iners aren't too bad see what a hone does. I might get lucky but am aware I may very well be up for a kit. It's a 1981 engine - any guessing on whether it's cross head or trunk? Number is 5062-7300. Turbos, blower and internals all look very good, injectors are N70 - it had 318HP apparently. So I'll put smaller injectors in when I go to install it...

Am hoping the phaser will fund the majority of a P&L kit ;D

Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #155462 by Bobsboy
Hi,

So, if you have a fire, and only a powder extinguisher,
you may as well let it burn, excepting to save attached property and to meet your civic duty?
Burn its rooted, put it out with powder its rooted.
hmmmmm
I got powder.

-b

P.S. I was also told at Fire Safety Training (at work, OH&S) the powder also gets into and ruins,
by corrosion all the electrical connections too. :(
May as well suffer a flood. :'(

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
8 years 9 months ago #155463 by fxs80
I was told once by a firery,a big bottle of coke vigorously shaken then punch a hole, if it doesn't put out the fire neither would the extinguisher. Mind you he didn't say how big a fire! :o

1939 D2

More
8 years 9 months ago #155464 by theroadbossman
Two things matter here Harry: 1) it's a GM with most parts available about anywhere and everywhere. 2) you are happy [ch128522]
Go to uTube and look up 6V53 through the gears, pick one with good sound, grab a beer and enjoy what will one day be you mate.
Bretto

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds