LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #155476 by theroadbossman
Hi Harry,
I'm not sure if you have done enough homework...
You are in the business of service & repair, and so are an awful lot of other guys on here; we all want you to get a deal at the best price and reliability - but I don't think you have looked long and hard enough just yet.

A single piston and liner kit is about $190+gst each, and this is without much of a discount. Hard negotiating will get you to $150 each - $900 a set of six. Do you need 6?

At retail a full rebuild kit is about $2250, do some long and hard negotiations and you might just find that $1450 gets you a full kit. One of the main reasons you decided on this engine was simplicity and availability, and availability is still a prized consideration mate.

I can't shop for you, but if you are concerned about the voids, the blemishes, and other nasties then replace them - all I can say is that there are some very hungry truck parts sales guys out there willing to negotiate.

On the other side of things, you have to remember that this will not be a daily worker; the mileage you do in a year may not be what a worker does in a week - what would wear out (becuase of imperfections and blemishes) in 6 months in a working truck might take 10 years to reveal in yours. And then, would it be that serious or just 1 litre of oil every 1000km?

We're all here to help mate, that's all ;)
Bretto

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #155477 by wedgetail84

Hi Harry,
I'm not sure if you have done enough homework...
You are in the business of service & repair, and so are an awful lot of other guys on here; we all want you to get a deal at the best price and reliability - but I don't think you have looked long and hard enough just yet.

A single piston and liner kit is about $190+gst each, and this is without much of a discount. Hard negotiating will get you to $150 each - $900 a set of six. Do you need 6?

At retail a full rebuild kit is about $2250, do some long and hard negotiations and you might just find that $1450 gets you a full kit. One of the main reasons you decided on this engine was simplicity and availability, and availability is still a prized consideration mate.

I can't shop for you, but if you are concerned about the voids, the blemishes, and other nasties then replace them - all I can say is that there are some very hungry truck parts sales guys out there willing to negotiate.

On the other side of things, you have to remember that this will not be a daily worker; the mileage you do in a year may not be what a worker does in a week - what would wear out (becuase of imperfections and blemishes) in 6 months in a working truck might take 10 years to reveal in yours. And then, would it be that serious or just 1 litre of oil every 1000km?

We're all here to help mate, that's all ;)
Bretto

Well you've got me a bit - I did do some homework but only a little price wise, I was saving the real hunt 'till after I knew the state of the current ones. Quotes I got were $500 and $420 a hole from two places in melbourne for cross heads and about $100 less for trunks. If I got some I'd get all. So your prices are heaps better, and if I go new I might hassle you for more info. But in the meantime I'll explore using the current ones. You're right on why I went for a GM, although lack of IP and sound quality also came into it!
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
8 years 9 months ago #155478 by theroadbossman
Sound quality - spot on [ch128076][ch127999]

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
8 years 9 months ago #155479 by bigcam
Everyone to their own, and it can be a little tricky with out actually looking at the parts.
For what you are going to do with it, if it was mine, I'd give those liners a quick hone and put some new rings in it.
Though an in chassis kit is pretty cheap, as Bretto pointed out. Last one I bought was about $1,500 about 5 years ago, they wouldn't have gone up too much, though the Aussie dollar has changed, but they aren't an expensive kit by any means.
Biggest drawback with buying a kit is you will have to get someone to swap those pistons on the rods for you and install the welsh plugs.
Pistons go into GM liners from the bottom too, so you may as well get them to load the pistons in the liners at the same time.
Not a big deal either way, the rebuild kit is cheap, you'll just have to find a friendly Detroit mechanic with the tools to do the pistons if you go that way.

More
8 years 9 months ago #155480 by roKWiz
Hope it works out for you wedgetail,
haven't checked it out yet but can anyone recommend where to buy a complete 6V53 kit.
Geoff

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #155481 by Bobsboy
Hi,

Spoiler Alert.

You got a marine engine that's been through a fire and we all now know what the extinguisher powder has done. :'(

Your going to put new pistons and liners in it.

De-marinise it and put it in a truck.

All the fuel pumping stuff is going to be marine not road.
(A hugely different application/ tuned spec.)

Maaaate,
Maybe its worth stopping now, declare this one a lesson and start again with a reasonably priced running truck engine?
Of course maybe you just like the challenge and a screemer in the lorry is a minor secondary benefit?

Either way it's your choice (as always), Go For It and we'll all sit back and watch.

-b
:-X

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
8 years 9 months ago #155482 by mammoth
Abrasive blasting - limestone is very aggressive and is what you might use to clean the hull of a ship. Garnet is probably best for general use around trucks. Glass beads come in several grades and clean rather than destroy aluminium, available in 25kg bags from such as Pan Abrasives. Walnut shells are kinder still (haven't used them so only relying on others). I would start on the 'veins' with a wire brush wheel on the pedestal grinder and see what happens.

More
8 years 9 months ago #155483 by wedgetail84
Thanks bigcam and mammoth, digesting it all right now.

Bobsboy - might want to re-read my posts, think you mis-read/misunderstood a bit

More
8 years 9 months ago #155484 by dieseldog
Just to reiterate what mammoth said, using too harsh of an abrasive may remove any coating the piston has. Personally, I use glass beads in an Supercheap sandblasting cabinet and get excellent results.

As for converting a marine engine to OTR, there isn't a lot in it. Apart from the obvious like manifolds and turbo's (which your changing anyway), you really only have to change the injectors and re-time the engine and maybe change a few governor bits. If someone here has a DD Field Service Data Book, they may be able to tell you what the differences are.

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds