Skip to main content

Perkins Phaser 180 or 6v53?

More
8 years 9 months ago #155465 by 700GMRR
great choice...318hp would be nice

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #155466 by wedgetail84
Yes it would. Don't think my T34 and probably RA139 would agree though. But that's a long way down the track...

Two things matter here Harry: 1) it's a GM with most parts available about anywhere and everywhere. 2) you are happy [ch128522]
Go to uTube and look up 6V53 through the gears, pick one with good sound, grab a beer and enjoy what will one day be you mate.
Bretto

That's what I've been doing for the past 6 months Brett! More GM owners need to put vids up, V8inter and Gilley are ahead of the rest in that area... I am happy with it - maybe that's because I haven't dug right into it yet. It's a bit daunting but I feel it's the right way none the less. Need to bloody find some time to pull the pistons out of the liners >:(

And now my uncle's pressurising me hard to forget the c1800 and put it in a bigger truck like an R190 or an old White. I think he needs to come up with the goods...

More
8 years 9 months ago #155467 by theroadbossman
Now you are not gunna like this one Harry, but do let uncle supply you a full size truck like an older White - that would be just perfect and maybe even cost you less in the long run.
Feel him out, and when he decides the truck is right for you (which of course you set the parameters for [ch128521]) then the family is all happy.
When that 6V bursts into life for the first time, all of this discussions will just be a fond memory [ch128522]

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
8 years 9 months ago #155468 by wedgetail84

Now you are not gunna like this one Harry, but do let uncle supply you a full size truck like an older White - that would be just perfect and maybe even cost you less in the long run.
Feel him out, and when he decides the truck is right for you (which of course you set the parameters for [ch128521]) then the family is all happy.
When that 6V bursts into life for the first time, all of this discussions will just be a fond memory [ch128522]

hey what's not to like? Would love one! Just don't want my tare too a whole lot higher, and don't want to pay more rego... Also want to stay single drive - but would love a 2000 model white (or equiv. diamond t/reo), were these ever singles? The white would be a 2042 would it not? Searching pulls precisely 0 results on that one.

Anyway, looks like I will need a P&L kit... Pulled one piston out yesterday - was quite a fight even with the press and an oxy. This liner looks mostly ok, but has what look like casting inclusions/voids in a couple of areas on the compression surface. They don't look great, but I'd be surprised if they were caused by the powder... Do cheap liners ever come like this?

Closer inspection of some of the others shows light pitting (as I was expecting) but these voids seem like manufacturer flaws - given this engine is "300 hours old" but built in 1981 means it must have been rebuilt at least once, maybe they just skimped on quality here?

The pistons have some very stuck rings, and raised vein like patterns in some areas. Powder related I'm sure, I assume they're a write off?

At least they're trunks not cross heads - seems to knock about $100 a hole off

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 9 months ago #155469 by Swishy
Wedgy
Gudday M8

RE : I assume they're a write off?

Nothing in thiz world is a right off ..... til U can cum up with sum new or better condition ones @ u're disposal

A man in the outback wait n for the vultures 2 get him
would use fine wet n dry using diesel not water n spend many hours make n m like new

spose boils down to wots u're time worth per hour/day

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 9 months ago #155470 by wedgetail84

Wedgy
Gudday M8

RE : I assume they're a write off?

Nothing in thiz world is a right off ..... til U can cum up with sum new or better condition ones @ u're disposal

A man in the outback wait n for the vultures 2 get him
would use fine wet n dry using diesel not water n spend many hours make n m like new

spose boils down to wots u're time worth per hour/day

LOL
cya

yes good point, but as you suggest - time isn't free :( And the bloke stuck in the desert wouldn't care how it runs just so long as it got him out... I'm not saying mine has to be perfect but it has to run well enough to justify the whole project. To clean them up with W&D would take a while - are you thinking with a hard backing or carefully go with a file first? Then there's the very stuck looking rings though. Might get the others out and give the liners a quick hone and see what they look like before making a decision, although realistically can't see myself using these pistons

More
8 years 9 months ago #155471 by dieseldog
Wedge mate, those marks look suspiciously like water damage to me. The pitting in the liner will be for sure, and the piston skirt growth does look like aluminium corrosion. I'm of the understanding that the powder in some extinguishers can be quite corrosive when wet, not to mention the sulfur from the diesel turning into sulfuric acid....

Are all the cylinders damaged?

More
8 years 9 months ago #155472 by wedgetail84

Wedge mate, those marks look suspiciously like water damage to me. The pitting in the liner will be for sure, and the piston skirt growth does look like aluminium corrosion. I'm of the understanding that the powder in some extinguishers can be quite corrosive when wet, not to mention the sulfur from the diesel turning into sulfuric acid....

Are all the cylinders damaged?

Haven't got the others out yet but they look like they're in a similar condition. Some people say the problem (or part of it) with the powder is it's very hydroscopic, so that would explain water damage as well... What do you make of the voids - looking at other liners that have more normal looking pits they look very different. Might as well see what a hone does but as I said I'm not holding out too much hope

More
8 years 9 months ago #155473 by dieseldog
Is the pitting all the way down the bore or just at the top? Those worm holes could be from something acidic forming in there and eating its way through the metal, but its hard to say. If you were to put it back together like this, at worst you might burn a little oil, and if the pits are confined to the top of the bore, you might not notice anything. I have seen worse.

To clean things up, I would give the liners a quick hone and blast the pistons with glass beads or walnut shells. Fit a new set of rings and gaskets and go from there.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #155474 by wedgetail84
The one I've pulled apart it's pretty flawless below the ports, the rest I'm not sure. Like your thinking though and would be great to get it running without dropping two and a half grand on kits. I guess if it didn't run to my satisfaction "all" I've got to do is replace the P&Ls

So if I blasted the pistons, those veins would still be there, but with the whole lot reduced - not a worry? And does it specifically have to be glass beads, are these a specialty product? I have limestone chippings I've been using for general blasting...

How about removing the rings - I've given them a bit of a tap with a sharp pin punch at the ends and they're very firm - can try sitting them in ATF/diesel for a while again but they've been sitting in it for the last 10 years wouldn't think they'd loosen up much now. Just a bit of heat?
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by wedgetail84.

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds