Skip to main content

Best aggressive coolant flush for Chev blitz

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #180941 by Lang
Wedgie

Is this definitely an original Blitz 216? Those oil pressures are unheard of normally. Chevrolet says 14 psi at 30 mph in top gear for new engine.

Idle in the manual is required to be "Indicating".

I have had a few of those engines and covered some very long distances really like them but never seen 20 psi for more than a short time after a cold start. A Chev ute I took to Europe did 6,000 km trouble free at 5-7 psi dropping back to zero if I let the revs drop right back on hills. You must have a good'n.

Someone hasn't dropped a 235 in??? Early ones are hard to tell the difference just looking at them.

Bore and Stroke: 3-1/2 x 3-3/4

Piston displacement, Cubic Inches: 216.5

Compression ratio: 6.60

Maximum Brake Horsepower: 92 @ 3400 RPM

Maximum Torque Lbs.Ft. @ RPM: 174 @ 1200

Normal Oil Pressure Pounds: 14

Lang
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #180979 by atkipete
What about making it boil over ie run for a while with no radiator cap on but plenty of water in there? I have found that when an engine boils over it usually loosens up lots of rusty crap.

More
7 years 1 month ago #181042 by morrisguy
Somebody may have mentioned this already. Have a look at the spark plugs and check for lean running ( light coloured insulator ) . If the fuel air ratio is wrong, the engine may overheat .

The lean mixture has a longer burn time, result is a hotter engine and burnt exhaust valves can happen.

More
7 years 1 month ago #181050 by wedgetail84
Atkipete - it hasn't boiled over for a long time, maybe I should try it with the vinegar... I have heard that before too thoguh.

morrisguy wrote: Somebody may have mentioned this already. Have a look at the spark plugs and check for lean running ( light coloured insulator ) . If the fuel air ratio is wrong, the engine may overheat .

The lean mixture has a longer burn time, result is a hotter engine and burnt exhaust valves can happen.

Haven't had the plugs out for a while too - but do you think lean running fits the description I gave?

Lang wrote: Wedgie

Is this definitely an original Blitz 216? Those oil pressures are unheard of normally. Chevrolet says 14 psi at 30 mph in top gear for new engine.

Yes it's a 216 for sure - many things I remember about it indicate (can't remember bore dimensions) but at the least it has splash fed big ends... I might be a tiny bit off in my oil pressure figures when checking against the manual or others' it has very good pressure.

Here's a vid of a short road run from a while ago. Don't think I had a temp gauge at the time - I was blissfully ignorant!

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #181053 by morrisguy
I don't want to confuse you but the early 235 motors, up to the early 50's , are splash feed big ends , these are rather rare here in Aust. , they were fitted in some lend lease Chevs during WW2 .

This might help you en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_straight-6_engine

This is misleading , don't believe everything you read on wiki ?

The 216 engine :

" This engine was also used in GM's British Bedford truck"

I think they mean a similar engine , not the same engine . Somebody should edit that boo boo
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by morrisguy.

More
7 years 1 month ago #181057 by wedgetail84
yeah sure, but wouldn't splash fed 235s have the same oil pressure as 216s? What about heads? I used the original head on the replacement block (sold as a blitz block). I do remember the pistons being basically the same as the early toyota engine bores that are 216.5. Either way I'm certain it's a 216 - and anyway whether it is or isn't doesn't change the over heating issue!!

More
7 years 1 month ago #181058 by Mrsmackpaul
Totally off the subject sort of

I got given a book on Bob Chamberlain for Chrissy
And in it they talk about all the companies that Chamberlains had and one company was the Rolloy piston company and they made alloy and something else pistons that were fused together

They also mentione about Ford V8's made during the WW2 for the military and the book says that a lot of metal components that make the metal in the block were missing because the motors were made to only last 10000 miles at the most
And after the war people werent getting a good run out of these brand new motors
Im pretty sure they made chrome sleeves to push into the block to make then last a lot longer

I wonder were Chev motors of the same time made along a similar line and perhaps inside the block is falling apart or maybe a lot of the block has corroded very thin and its now like a porous block which causes exactly what you describe

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 1 month ago #181059 by Beaver
Does the cooling system use a water distribution tube to move coolant from the pump down to the back of the block?

A lot of these were made from steel and rust out, so you don't get an even flow through the block and head.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
7 years 1 month ago #181060 by asw120
That looks like my kind of fun.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 1 month ago #181062 by Lang
Beaver

Dodges do, Chevs do not use a distribution tube.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beaver

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds