Skip to main content

1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

More
3 years 2 months ago #219030 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Hey wee-allis. Good pick up but wherever you read that I must have mixed it up in text. Definitely looking for exhaust valves.

So about them. Had the 5 good ones faced today. They have said only 3 of them would be safe to put in. They all faced ok but 2 of them are ‘stretched’ I believe they said. You can see the ones in the right have what I assume is heat damage to the underside. Furthermore, they are struggling to find replacements. Anyone know where you can purchase obscure valves? Supposedly these are the early ones, they changed a couple years after first production. I’ll do some researching tonight.

Adventure before Dementia.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #219032 by Southbound
Auto surplus have NOS engine parts. www.autosurplus.com.au/

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Southbound.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #219036 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Also Bills Motor Sports on the NSW Central Coast. HE has a website. Best to phone him and have the diamentions needed with you. Head size, stem thickness and overall length. He found me the odd valve size for the McDonald I played with. Obviously mention the type of engine and I think you mentioned they are a special material valve so run that by him as well.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urchy87

More
3 years 2 months ago #219146 by Urchy87
Found valves on the Rockauto Parts website. Will do a sweep of the rubbers etc and see if there is anything else I need. If I can’t track them down locally I’ll place an order.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219619 by Urchy87
Hey all. Minor update. Valves and gasket kit is on order. Waiting for that to arrive. Ended up getting it from Rockauto.

I do have a question though. Have any of you had experience with Mod Plating and welding engine mounts or anything to the chassis for that matter. From what I read you can do it as it would only be a minor modification in my eyes and it really only refers to major modifications being frowned upon. If I go with the 351C conversion it would require this to happen. In my mind, if you can extend a chassis you can weld 2 mounts to it. What’s your experience and thought? Thanks.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219620 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Hello Urchy87,
Good to see you getting the original motor going, we have an F700 with the same engine. I think you will find it power and speed wise very capable.
David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urchy87

More
3 years 1 month ago #219621 by Blackduck59
On the modded engine mounts i guess it would be up to the inspection person.
When I fitted the Cummins I made bolt in brackets for the front mounts using the Fords existing holes. The same with the rear mounts, bolted to the chassis rails using existing holes (Ford loved putting in bolt holes)
I had no worries on those mounts, they only queried the modified rear trans mount, told they it was not needed and I only added it to supply a little support to the Roadranger trans. The RR 610 only used the bellhousing bolts , the larger units used a spring resting on the top of the chassis rails.
Best to talk with your local inspecting people, will most likely need that for the 351 anyway.
Cheers Steve

More
3 years 1 month ago #219624 by Urchy87
Thanks wouldyou. In all honesty the 300 will do everything I want it to do as it’s most likely going to go on club rego. I took this on as a project so I’m kinda just playing around and learning as I go, also enjoy the sound of a V8. Once the 300 is running well it might steel the focus and remain.

Blackduck59, thats good to know, thanks. I have spoken to a couple guys close to me which do mod plates but they don’t do a lot of it so couldn’t really give me much information off the top of their head. Might have to cool my heals until I can take it for a trip to see someone who is more familiar with the work required.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219635 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
When or if you do decide to do the engine swap that is when you need to research the currnt rules. You might look them up today and next month all changed

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219638 by Urchy87
That’s probably a good point cobbadog. I like having me head around things though. I guess in a perfect world within 6 months I will be starting the process......but that’s if the 300 doesn’t inspire me, which it might.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.597 seconds