Skip to main content

1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

More
2 years 8 months ago #224062 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
I'm certain that by doing it yourself and follo what you have seen done here you will be very pleased with the outcome. It just takes a bit of time and patience

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urchy87

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224612 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Hey everyone. Hoping to have some time over the next couple weeks to get back into this green monster.

A local canvas guy who does some upholstery on the side upholstered the seat. Had the call a couple days ago to say it was done, took 6+ weeks but I wasn’t in a hurry. Will collect it in the next few day. Only wanted a basic job done so I had low expectations. Keen to see how it turned out. Gave him creative licence on colour, so long as it wasn’t out there I told him all good.

Rust in cab corners. It has a couple small bubbles coming through. To slow it down, is spraying it with rust converter in a can a reasonable approach? Or would fish oil or something like that be a better choice? What’s your thoughts? If I end up clear coating it I worry oils could cause issues with it bonding.

Adventure before Dementia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tassie Dan

More
2 years 8 months ago #224614 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Urchy, I am a fish oil devotee, spray or brush, I drowned the rust in the bottom cab corners of the ACCO, 10 years ago. It stopped it growing or getting worse.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 8 months ago #224625 by cobbadog
I do like using both. The converter to do its job and treat the rust but I do like to knock the lumpy bits off then into it with the fish oil. With fish oil I too have used it out of a can with a brush and the prressure pack type and normmmmal and deodorised, it still was stinky, but is a good product.
Once saw a professional fisheman making his own fair dinkum fish oil from the fish guts. He had them hanging over a tin can for a while and caught the drips. Soon enough he had enough for the job. I think the smell alone was what kept the rust away, it was really rank.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225374 by Urchy87
Thanks cobbadog and Sarge. Since my last post I’ve been tied up with family health issues and could be for a period yet so there has and will be zero progress. Before the problems, I started messing around a bit and sanded the grille and headlight surrounds. I’ll hit them with a clear and see how it turns out, I think it will come up pretty decent for the look I’m after. I didn’t take a before photo unfortunately. Still have cartons of parts sitting in the shed waiting to be installed. Can’t wait to get back into it.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 6 months ago #226285 by Urchy87
Hey. Still haven’t had the chance to do anything, really getting itchy feet to keep cracking on. I have collected the seat though. Looks bang on for what I was wanting. Ended up costing $660 which was half the price I had been quoted in the larger towns. Not sure what it normally costs for a bench seat but I was being told $1000-$1200 if it didn’t require any work. They had to get creative as some springs were missing so I was happy with the $660.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 6 months ago #226287 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
I had both my F trucks done at different trimmers, The F100 needed a bit of spring work and cost $770 but its now an uncomfortable seat and the upholstery is not ageing well and puts black dust all over you when you sit in it. The F350 cost $320 and is very comfortable and the upholstery is top notch, bear in mind I had a motorbike seat done today which cost $285 but this was done by the best seat man in Australia(some say the world) and of course is tiny compared to a bench seat from an f truck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
2 years 6 months ago #226291 by cobbadog
Like anything the final outcome depennds on the quality of the vynal used. I have always gone to the Marine grade vynal as it is made to stand up to the high UV which is what breaks down the vynals. Sounds like if one is powdery then it was not a good one to start with.
Looks like they did a nice job on your seat and once your out an about driving it again you will then remember that bench seats dont stop your arse from sliding about when going around corners.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226293 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
URCHY87 and 600DODGE can you please give us contact details for your upholsterer? (600 the one who did the F250 please}

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 6 months ago #226296 by Urchy87
600DODGE, sounds like you got the good and the bad. $320 is a cracking price, especially if it’s the better of the two. I rang a hand full of places. The only under $1000 was this one I took it too. I sat on this as it sits in the shed and it seems ok. They used a backing board and a thick piece of high density foam between it and the upholstery. It seems ok but might change how it feels once out on the road.

Cobbadog, I think it will go ok. My understanding is he does more canopy covers and things like that for outdoor applications so hopefully it’s of quality. The vinyl feels nice, not plastic like. And yes, been a few years since I’ve slid across a bench seat. Most these days are bolstered. If I use it as much as I hope to I will look to put a modern style bench seat in. Considering how big these cabs are the seat doesn’t seem to reflect that.

Morris, I used a place called Stan’s Canvas in Chinchilla, Qld. His contact number is 07 4662 7953. Can’t give you much of a review but they were really easy to deal with plus accommodated me when I couldn’t get there for 6 weeks to collect and from first impressions they delivered exactly what I asked for. Need to get some body deadener down in the cab before installing it.

Time to create page: 0.576 seconds