Skip to main content

International C1840

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250521 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic International C1840
Good job with the temp gauge.

The original tacho (most LHS gauge on the dash cluster) would have been cable driven like the speedo.  If yours has been fitted with an aftermarket tacho, then i imagine it would be electric with some form of pulse pick-up.

Brett.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250529 by BennyP
Replied by BennyP on topic International C1840

Good job with the temp gauge.

The original tacho (most LHS gauge on the dash cluster) would have been cable driven like the speedo.  If yours has been fitted with an aftermarket tacho, then i imagine it would be electric with some form of pulse pick-up.

Brett.
Thanks Brett, 

I will have to look a bit closer in that case, all gauges appear to be original except the temp. I can only see one earth and one other wire from the tacho, maybe missing cable if that’s the case. 

Might need to pop the cluster out for a better look, screws are all rusted in place so that should be fun. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250532 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic International C1840
Yes should have a wire to the coil.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250535 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic International C1840
Not forgetting there's a light inside the tacho that also requires a power wire to it.

As suggested earlier, they were generally cable driven and a picture would clarify exactly what it is.  

Try taking a picture of the back of the tacho with your phone/camera - often easier to get in there with your hand and take a few pictures rather than pulling everything apart OR trying to stick your head up behind the dash OR attempting to use a mirror. (If you're anything like me you'll probably find a terminal or something up there that will endeavour to draw blood from your hand, wrist, or arm.)  

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250537 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic International C1840
At a rough guess I imagine this truck did not come standard with a tacho and it was an initial extra accessory or an aftermarket fitment. IDSTBC

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250538 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic International C1840
A picture of the gauges would help. I stand correcting, but I think only diesels came from the factory with tachos.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250539 by 180wannabe
Tacho was fitted to CD1820, C1840, and CD1840, so either Perkins, IH V8 petrol, or Cummins, respectively.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250540 by BennyP
Thanks for all the advise, slowly getting an idea of what everything is. 

It got the better of me today, pulled the dash ( a pain in itself with rusted screws). Several wires floating around not hooked up. I now understand why none of the lights work. 

Got a good look at the tacho, it does have a wire for a globe as noted above. Looks to definitely be cable driven, judging by grime on the back of the gauge it has not had one for some time.

Unfortunately no cable to be found, this might have to be a winter job. What would the cable connect to?

Back in the engine bay, few more questions. I have a canister mounted to the fire wall, possibly vacuum one side blocked off on the other, what is this for?

Also, there is a breather on the ignition side of the engine. Currently venting to atmosphere, I assume this should be connected somewhere? 

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250541 by 180wannabe
The tacho gets it's drive from the distributor shaft on the IH V8, and from the front of the auxiliary drive on a Perkins.  I don't know about Cummins.  As far as i know, the IH 6 cylinder engines don't have this drive feature.

The canister on the firewall is an oil bath air cleaner for vacuum.

The breather connects to the intake manifold (next to the big hose from the canister).  If you google IH 6-282, and select images, you should see various photos of engines, with a steel pipe from the breather, around the rear of the motor, to the intake manifold. 

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, asw120

More
2 months 1 week ago #250601 by BennyP
Update:

- Changed engine oil an filter

- Flushed radiator/engine , lots of junk in there, it does have a thermostat in place. Unfortunately some idiot removed it for a better look, refitted with original gasket, now leaks (naturally). Thermostat was rather rusty, will remove and replace. Fresh coolant and a test run, still running hot by the gauge well over 220F. 

- Engine starts and runs smooth, feels low on power to me. 1st gear with a load sounds like it breaks down, will check plugs and points next. Never played with points before any advise welcomed. 

- How would I test/determine if the 2 speed splitter is working? Never used one before, can’t say I can notice a speed difference in lower gears using the button.

The more I use it, the more I want to keep the old bus going. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds