Skip to main content

International C1840

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #251359 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic International C1840
IH radiators have cast iron fittings that extend thru radiator tanks to the front side .........these extensions are often broken ,and far as I know ,not available..............without these extensions the tanks crack where the cast iron outlets are soldered in.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #251473 by BennyP
Replied by BennyP on topic International C1840
I had an idea getting checked out at a radiator joint would be the best course of action. At least its an easy job to get out!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 day 14 hours ago #251677 by BennyP
Replied by BennyP on topic International C1840
Update -

Pulled the radiator and had it checked, it did have a small blockage but not too bad. It has been re-cored at some point, core is in good condition. 

Re-installed and gave it some use, still looks warm by the gauge. Noticed gauge needle would flip flop around with vibrations, discovered the aftermarket gauge was installed by twisting wires into random power source and the sensor itself. Cleaned up the wires which helped some. 

Used for a bit moving some dirt on the weekend. Sits to around 220F on the gauge, sometimes over/under. Noticed temp was more stable moving under load than at idle. Not sure I trust the gauge at this stage. 

Breathing a fair bit it would seem, light smoke from dipstick and installed catch can, oil film coming out of catch can vent. 
There is a breather on the passenger side of the block, currently venting atmosphere. Should this be connected to a vacuum source, and if so could that improve the breathing through the catch can?

Cheers
Ben

More
1 day 14 hours ago #251678 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic International C1840
Maybe the temp gauge and sender unit are not matched?  I'd be tempted to fit a capillary style gauge.

Re the breather venting to atmosphere, go back and read reply #250541

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.416 seconds