Skip to main content

Dodge 700

More
15 years 9 months ago #2781 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Dodge 700
Hi Glen

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like an interesting jigger you got there. Do you have photos of her? We all love photos! LOL. If you're not sure how to post them, there's instructions in the FAQ section or feel free to send them to me and I'll upload them.

Hope you enjoy it here and hope the forum can help with your project.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2782 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Dodge 700
Hello Glen, welcome to the forum.
Good to see another fine piece of engineering in good hands.
I saw your comment about trying to start it....How long since its been run ? Before you try and start it again make sure the emergency stop flap on top of the blower is working properly....just incase.
A tip though !...what ever you do trying to start it dont use aerostart or anything like that.
If you do get it going over the weekend check both the airbox drains while its running. You should feel a steady stream of air, if not clean them out. This is important.
Both of ours were 12 Volt.
Good luck and if you have any trouble give me a yell.
Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2783 by JimmyDodge
Replied by JimmyDodge on topic Re: Dodge 700
Hi Glen, like your good self I too have recently acquired a mighty Detroit powered Dodge , all the best in restoring her to whatever you have in mind. All I can say about mine is that if I had the cab sandblasted it would come back in a couple of buckets ;D
If Barry is still there could I ask you why you shouldn't use aerostart on a GM? I have had to to get my "5v53"going. Idid this reluctantly as once when I was an apprentice fitter I heard a tired 8v71 started with it. Wow, it sounded as if someone was inside it with a big hammer!
Could you also think why someone would block the airbox drains on mine with self tappers?
I share your concern about the engine "running away" when we first tried to start mine, it had lost its prime,a neighbour who's a truckie bought home a priming pump from work.With me spraying aerostart down its guts, my son cranking it, Paul (neighbour) pumping, it fired!
Unknown to me, Paul said to my son,"give it the berries,to suck the fuel through!"
Well it screamed! in best GM tradition,so much so, when I looked at my son then Paul they both had blank looks on their faces.
I then assumed ,cripes! Its run away! I tripped the emergency stop flap.They both started yelling "what did ya do that for?'' when I told them what I thought had happened they both cracked up laughing!
Paul used to own a 6v53 powered IH Lodestar,"thats normal mate, them things will send ya deaf!"
However I know its not good to use the E-stop as it doesn't do wonders for the blower seals.
Thanks for your offer of help on the Gm Barry , even though I was a diesel fitter we didn't do much on them as they were so reliable.
Sorry to steal your thunder ,Glen, but "I think ve detroit people are taking over zis forum!"( in best german accent!)
regards Harleigh.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2784 by GM Diesel
Jimmydodge,
Over the years I have had many damaged cranks on the 6V-53 ,s from aerostart.
Particuarly on tired engines where the oil pressure is not so good. Combination of aerostart and a good supply air from the blower the first thing they do when they fire is scream to full noise plus. Revs get there quicker than the oil pressure does and it hammers the cranks. Its called uncontrolled combustion. If this happens on an aluminium 6V-53 block it

More
15 years 9 months ago #2785 by JimmyDodge
Replied by JimmyDodge on topic Re: Dodge 700
Ta Barry, for the sound advice,in my case there was fair bit of winding over and "half starts'' before she finally went. One of the few gauges that does work is the oil pressure one,I definitely remember my son commenting it got up oil pressure easily. Hopefully all will be ok.
I definitely would like to see your air box drain setup when you get a chance.
One more quick question, on an american diesel forum a couple yanks said a nickname for the '53 was "the green leaker"as in oil leaks .I hate this, but I cant remember detroits leaking oil. We never had '53's in any Wabco scraper so I can't say. Any comments or solutions in your experience?
regards Harleigh.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2786 by GM Diesel
Harleigh,
I think they have more opportunities to leak than other engines because there is so many bits to them is half the reason. From the factory they rarely leaked ! Its only when they are put back together they leak. They do leak alot though if they are tired due to air from the airbox getting past the oil rings and into the crank case. If the crank case breather hasnt been cleaned for years then you can run a positive pressure and it will push oil out all over the place. If you have a real tired one put you hand over and block the crank case breather, you'll soon see where your leaks are.
If you use the type of products they recomend you will keep it pretty clean. Rocker covers are a good example. People often use the gaskets again cos they look alright..bet ya they will leak. Use a new gasket and proper sealer and Ive not had one leak yet touch wood.
If you need any gaskets or parts let me know and I can point you in the right direction.
I will post some pictures and so more detroit info tonight for everyone.
Barry

More
15 years 9 months ago #2787 by Glen
Replied by Glen on topic Re: Dodge 700
Thanks Barry & Harliegh found the problem with the Dodge it had a stripped blower shaft, I have ordered new parts should be here Monday. Grand total of $120.00 checked all rocker gear & injectors everything looks to be in good order. It has a 3 speed joey 5 speed main with a 2 speed diff- will post some photos now ;D

More
15 years 9 months ago #2788 by GM Diesel
Glen,
hows the chance of that happening.
I just made a post in the restoration section and talked about the blower drive shafts.
Barry

More
15 years 9 months ago #2789 by kennymopar
Replied by kennymopar on topic Re: Dodge 700

More
15 years 9 months ago #2790 by Glen
Replied by Glen on topic Re: Dodge 700
Here are a couple of pic's of my Dodge - i will add a couple more shortly!

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds