Skip to main content

Restoration of a Mack R-600 Flintstone Tow Truck

More
15 years 9 months ago #3079 by huppypuppy
Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a R-600 Flintstone Mack with towing crash gear on the back.... I am wondering what would be involved in restoring her back to her former glory! A friend of mine brought it at a Sheriff's auction for $12000 and wanted to use it but can't use it because of the gear it has fitted - another query: how much would I expect to pay for it? From what I have heard, she's in pretty good shape for her age!

Joe

PS: Anyone out there who wants to know a bit more about her please let me know and I will ask my friends who have her!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3080 by GM Diesel
Joe,
It would want to be a good condition licenced truck for 12K Joe.
As far as restoring one what it would cost. Well my man thats where its up to you. Bit of a tidy up for a couple of grand to 70 grand no problem for a Flintstone. There is a few B model Macks around that have swallowed 70+
Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3081 by huppypuppy
Hi Barry,

What I heard from a friend who worked for Royan's (where my friends keep their trucks), it was a repo job from Kandos for a finance company when the fellow defaulted... need to confirm...

Anyway, if I do get it, it will only ever be used as a show truck - a few things I may need to do are replace the wire rope - easier said than done, engine rebuild - even easier said than done (my father is a engine reconditioner by trade), repair the hydraulics and, if required, replace both rams, transmission rebuild, rear axle set rebuild, new tyres (if needed), new front and rear end bushes, reset springs and repair a few panels!

Not too sure yet what will need to be done but that's the prelim list!

Joe

More
15 years 9 months ago #3082 by GM Diesel
Joe,

There you go..youve hit 30 grand :-/

Barry

More
15 years 9 months ago #3083 by huppypuppy
Baz,

Dad's a engine reconditioner by trade so I'll save on the labour alone on the engine rebuild - I want to know how much a rebuild kit for this engine would be before I could go ahead with it.... who do you recommend for Mack parts? I have heard Gleeman have everything - what do you reckon?

Joe

More
15 years 9 months ago #3084 by GM Diesel
Being in WA I used to get engine bits from Paganelli Mack in Perth.
Last one I did was about 11K for all the parts, turbo, pump, injectors etc plus all the engine bits and block machining for O/S liners. Labour on top of this.
Barry

More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #3085 by Andy Wright
Joe, I don't want to burst your bubble and, as Barry knows, I tend to get very excited about some things before a small does of reality. By all means get this truck if it means a lot to you and you'll enjoy doing most of the work yourself etc etc. However, $12,000 is a fair bit of money for a truck that sounds as though it needs as much work as a $6,000 one. Yes, your Dad can help you with a lot of it beyond the engine rebuild and, to be honest, you could get the truck right and leave the towing equipment alone for now.

Can she be licensed now so you can have some fun and progressively do her up or is she a non-going project from the start? I would want something I could drive home with no probs for $12,000. What makes you think the engine and gearbox need doing or are you just suspecting they might given she's been around the block a few times?

We'd love to find out more, Joe. Also, I'd love to see you get a Flintstone as I know you have a huge thing for them but at the same time you don't want to hamstring yourself with an expensive dud.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by Andy Wright.

More
15 years 7 months ago #3086 by huppypuppy

Joe, I don't want to burst your bubble and, as Barry knows, I tend to get very excited about some things before a small does of reality. By all means get this truck if it means a lot to you and you'll enjoy doing most of the work yourself etc etc. However, $12,000 is a fair bit of money for a truck that sounds as though it needs as much work as a $6,000 one. Yes, your Dad can help you with a lot of it beyond the engine rebuild and, to be honest, you could get the truck right and leave the towing equipment alone for now.

Can she be licensed now so you can have some fun and progressively do her up or is she a non-going project from the start? I would want something I could drive home with no probs for $12,000. What makes you think the engine and gearbox need doing or are you just suspecting they might given she's been around the block a few times?

We'd love to find out more, Joe. Also, I'd love to see you get a Flintstone as I know you have a huge thing for them but at the same time you don't want to hamstring yourself with an expensive dud.

Andy,

In saying that, I think she may have a few million miles on her - might need the job done if it hasn't been completed! I am certainly thinking of keeping her all original apart from the paint job - white with red Outback Recovery Service signwriting! All this is to say thanks to Dave and Patty Swain, the people who have the truck now!

I'm awaiting photos of her - once the photos are posted, you guys are to make a big decision and help me big time!!

I'm also chasing a International ACCO too! Prefer a 1976 1830/A or a 1850/B - my uncle had a 1830/A with the German Neuss D358 (5.9 litre) 6 cylinder diesel engine and the 5x2 gearbox!

Joe

More
15 years 7 months ago #3087 by Inta ACCOs
Hi Joe,

There are some wise words being shed on this forum. We all tend to be really good at visualising the end product of our project but then underestimate the time and particularly the money we need to get there.

What are chasing the Inter for, a workhorse or show pony? My only advice is the buy the one in the best condition you can find for the budget you have allocated. The main problem you'll have with the early ACCOs is rust. Those straight panels are really easy to repair and to fill with bog (over and over again).

Don't get too caught up with the model number or whether it's Perkins or Neuss powered, etc, etc. Many of those early ones still on the road have either been re-powered or re-cabbed so the numbers might not mean anything (there was no 1850/B btw).

I would go for a 1980-1985 model, say 1830/C (Neuss) or 1850/C (Turbo Perkins). Most will probably be 5 speed with 2 speed diff. S-cam brakes are better than the earlier wedge. Better still go for a D model (post 86 with the galavinised cab and a Phaser Perkins), it will still pretty much look and feel like an old ACCO because it is! Just will have more power and less rust.

Good luck with the search, there are certainly still plenty around to choose from.

Cheers,
Joe

More
15 years 7 months ago #3088 by kennymopar
can always go with a 6V53 powered acco if you want a bit more noise ;) but definatly dont go the 1830B(unless it has a good braking system) the air wedge brakes are expensive & hard to work on..

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds