Skip to main content

Restoration of a Mack R-600 Flintstone Tow Truck

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #3129 by Andy Wright

Bruce & Helen Paroissien, Andy & Jodi Wright, you and me - I reckon the five of us could drink all the supply of Baz's rum and coke! Smuggle some onto the plane too!

I'm a drinking lightweight these days so I don't think I'll be much help beyond a six-pack. Don't miss the stuff either.

What's the latest on the Mack, Joe?

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by Andy Wright.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #3130 by huppypuppy
Hi Andy,

I'm going to get onto Don and Faye soon and will let you know the results!

Joe

15 years 7 months ago #3131 by
I think your living in a bit of a dream world Joe ,i dont mind bundy but i love Captain Morgan now thats real rum.

I like little country pubs so i think i would like to stay there for a drink.

I think you are losing sight that we are looking at something called a MACK. Dave

More
15 years 6 months ago #3132 by huppypuppy

Greenie,

You seen that Leader book?? Bottom photo on page 58 is that exact Brambles R700 V8! She's haulin' a Le Torneau L800 Letro Loader to Gladstone in that photo!

Joe

15 years 6 months ago #3133 by
Hi Joe, got that photo from Eric Collier and that particular truck was quite often photographed, by lot's of different people.
That's the second R 700 V8 that was built in Australia by Cryil Anderson, it's the first one that Brambles Heavy Haulage Brisbane acquired and it is being driven by Eric Collier again. Can't identify who would be driving the other Mack which is in the photo.
The picture above it with the two R700's slugging away up the first climb up the toll bar, the front R 700 has Errol Guitze behind the wheel ( should say hangin' out of the window ) and Eric Collier is again hooked up to the dolly and float.

Eric actually worked for Cyril when he started to put together all the 'B' models, the real early 'B' models were having a hell of a lot of trouble chewing up the joey box's. Eric pulled a brand new one apart and found that some turkey in the states was leaving something out at the assembly, not sure what it was now, but from then on, ALL gear boxes were pulled apart before being fitted and all had this same problem, a quick fix and some of these boxes are still working, even today.
Seems some disgruntled worker in the states, reckoned they should have been assembling the Macks over in the states, then sending them over here as finished vehicles, this omission of a part was his way of protesting.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
15 years 6 months ago #3134 by huppypuppy

Hi Joe, got that photo from Eric Collier and that particular truck was quite often photographed, by lot's of different people.
That's the second R 700 V8 that was built in Australia by Cryil Anderson, it's the first one that Brambles Heavy Haulage Brisbane acquired and it is being driven by Eric Collier again. Can't identify who would be driving the other Mack which is in the photo.
The picture above it with the two R700's slugging away up the first climb up the toll bar, the front R 700 has Errol Guitze behind the wheel ( should say hangin' out of the window ) and Eric Collier is again hooked up to the dolly and float.

Eric actually worked for Cyril when he started to put together all the 'B' models, the real early 'B' models were having a hell of a lot of trouble chewing up the joey box's. Eric pulled a brand new one apart and found that some turkey in the states was leaving something out at the assembly, not sure what it was now, but from then on, ALL gear boxes were pulled apart before being fitted and all had this same problem, a quick fix and some of these boxes are still working, even today.
Seems some disgruntled worker in the states, reckoned they should have been assembling the Macks over in the states, then sending them over here as finished vehicles, this omission of a part was his way of protesting.

Greenie,

You know much about a former Western Transport employee and Queenslander, Peter McCleverty??? He restored his B-Model as a tribute to his former employer!

Joe

15 years 6 months ago #3135 by
Nope, didn't have anything to do with Westons and haven't heard of that name, you gotta remember that Westons would have had over a couple of hundred drivers over the years.

More
15 years 6 months ago #3136 by huppypuppy
Greenie,

Cyril actually started Western Transport before he got involved with the truck game, namely Mack and Leader.... correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe Leader Trucks were the only true Aussie truck???

Joe

15 years 6 months ago #3137 by

Wont get any argument from me about Leaders being the ONLY true Aussie truck.

More
15 years 6 months ago #3138 by huppypuppy

Wont get any argument from me about Leaders being the ONLY true Aussie truck.

Greenie,

That makes 2 of us who agree on that! Amen! I know of one of these magnificent trucks still in service today - you'll have to subscribe to Andy in Pak's excellent e-mag to see her though! I'm just in the process of trying to get onto the truck's owner - one of the local district water carters for photos and an interview. No photos will be put on here!

Joe

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds