Skip to main content

Restoration of a Mack R-600 Flintstone Tow Truck

More
15 years 7 months ago #3089 by huppypuppy

can always go with a 6V53 powered acco if you want a bit more noise ;) but definatly dont go the 1830B(unless it has a good braking system) the air wedge brakes are expensive & hard to work on..

Kenny,

Got a friend - incidentially the one with this R-600! - and they have a 3070 ACCO with a blown 903 Cummins and a 12515 RoadRanger! I thought of buying it and throwing a 8V71 Detroit 2 stroker under her cab and chucking a 18 speed RTLO18918B RoadRanger behind that! Any tips on what I need to do and what I need to look for?

Joe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #3090 by Inta ACCOs
Check out an 8V-71 in an ACCO here:

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 7 months ago #3091 by Swishy
RE: 8V-71 Screemer n ACCO
Can U imagine the windup to take off
with a light weight chassis like the ACCO the torque n windup of the screemer would surley lift a leg with lotsa chassis twist
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

15 years 7 months ago #3092 by

Got a friend - incidentially the one with this R-600! - and they have a 3070 ACCO with a blown 903 Cummins and a 12515 RoadRanger! I thought of buying it and throwing a 8V71 Detroit 2 stroker under her cab and chucking a 18 speed RTLO18918B RoadRanger behind that! Any tips on what I need to do and what I need to look for?

Joe

Hi Joe,

--- Any tips on what I need to do ---

Yeh, with the 18 speed RR you better learn to swap cogs real quick, what with that jet engine buried in the bowls. Either that, or get a loaded trailer fixed to it, just to slow down the take-orf. [smiley=shocked.gif]

Or, learn real fast to jump a bunch-o-cogs with each change. ;D

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
15 years 7 months ago #3093 by Inta ACCOs
Me thinks a 8V-71 Detroit belongs in a T-Line - stronger chassis and more room for it, just look at the effort those poor buggers had to go in the YouTube clip:

yeh - had to re-site the engine mounts, exhaust system, install twin air filters for higher flow, had to shift the gearbox back and radiator forwards, had to shorten tailshaft, install new air tanks... prick of a job

More
15 years 7 months ago #3094 by kennymopar
before i sold my acco 1830B (turbo neuss powered) i looked at fitting my perkins 540T V8 diesel ...not a chance !

More
15 years 7 months ago #3095 by huppypuppy

Check out an 8V-71 in an ACCO here:

Inta Accos,

I just found out the owners of this ACCO: OCTW - Orange City Truck Wreckers of Orange, NSW.... all but an hour and a half's drive from me!

Joe

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #3096 by huppypuppy
Hi all,

I'm probably going to buy myself this "best of both worlds" truck as well: a Mack R-600 "Flintstone" prime mover with a 6-71 GM Diesel engine and a 13 speed RoadRanger:

Here's what I was told about this truck: Don Jensen brought it with good intentions to do it up - panel beater had the truck 2 years and kept telling him that the truck was being worked on when, in fact, it wasn't! Anyway, old mate at panel shop shut shop down and then Don got it back and it has been sitting for a while until he offered it to me!

There's a little problem with the starter and a little bit of rust in the cab which can be cut out and repaired - I think it's mainly in the bottoms of the doors and around the pillar at the back of the doors.... any help here would be appreciated!

With the 6-71, I do know that this truck has been repowered but - and there's always a but - would it still have the air-starter? If so, can I use work's MIR700 just to work out how the airlines from the reservoir to the solenoid and across into the back of the starter are routed??

Joe
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by huppypuppy.

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #3097 by monty
hey Joe,

This is a B Model From Narromine, it has a V6 GM with an air start, it has a 13sp overdrive box and still carts double roadtrains. it is smick as !!!
you can use this as a good referance. or you can have a look at how
its set up on mine.

Hope you can find a better color for the chassie !!!

Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by monty.

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #3098 by Andy Wright
Joe, this would appear a better proposition and I'm assuming she's cheaper than the wrecker? What has Don told you about the history of the truck and work done by previous owners?

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by Andy Wright.

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds