Skip to main content

1980 Mack R?

More
13 years 5 months ago #38558 by Daninmky
1980 Mack R? was created by Daninmky
Hello to all
Recently I have come across a MACK that has caught my eye and after extensive searching for this and that I continually come up with search results that have HCVC in almost every link, so I figure that for the first time ever I should pull over and ask for directions (I have a blanket over my head as I write this so she doesnt see!)

The MACK in questions is the one in the pics (if I did it right) and if possible could someone steer me in the right direction please?.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

From the rego label it is a 1980 R model but it has obviously had a bonnet change (very roughly done i might add) and although I was unable to open the bonnet this time I was able to see that it had the Maxidyne Air Filter hanging off the top left hand side.

So my first question would be, does anyone know the year of the bonnet and can anyone give a rough idea if the MACK is actually 1980 from the cab photo?

I have also included a pic of the top of the diffs and I am wondering does this tell me anything. I am wondering the same also for the springs, the rego label says 74000 GCM and when I counted them there are 10 leafs.

Unfortunatly it currently does not have a gear box due to a rear bearing but they think it is still around but cannot remember what size i.e 13 speed etc.

Is there any links regarding manuals etc that people may know of out there for this series MACK and am I being a fool for getting myself in to this? :D

Basically I have gone over her and I can see what's ahead of me but if someone can help me out with these questions I would be extremely greatful. Should everything go as planned and the current owner agrees to the offer then I will probably be a regular of these pages which should be good, after reading the forums for an hour or so I have come to enjoy Swishy's humour immensly ;D

2 Blondes Walked into a Building.......neither of them seen it.....BOOM  BOOM!!!&&A blo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #38559 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: 1980 Mack R?
Dano, a bit hard from what your telling us to give you much info mate. The extended R model cab came out in about 1975, I can't remember when Super Liners came out, very late 70's? I've seen Superliners with 6 cylinder Mack motors (320 coolpower), V8 Mack motors, 855 Cummins (400), and 3406 Cat motors, I've heard of one with an 8V92 in it as well. A Superliner is an R700, with out knowing what motor is in it it's a bit hard. It could be an R 600 with a Superliner bonnet, a lot of mucking around to get that to fit but. Look like 44,000 lb diffs. When you say Maxidyne air filter, do you mean the intercooler off a Coolpower on the left hand side?

More
13 years 5 months ago #38560 by Daninmky
Replied by Daninmky on topic Re: 1980 Mack R?
Wow that was quick

It could be an R 600 with a Superliner bonnet, a lot of mucking around to get that to fit but

I beleive it is an added bonnet because it has been cut to fit around the air scoop? bit just underneath the windscreen and it has had mount pieces added. The bonnet does look good but it will have to have a few mm cut out down the centre line to make it look neat etc.

When you say Maxidyne air filter, do you mean the intercooler off a Coolpower on the left hand side?

:-[ yeah thats what I meant ;D
I do have pics but they are from shoving the Blackberry underneath the bonnet (pay and spray you might say) and I know there will definatly be people in this forum that will be able to tell just by seeing a particular bolt but I didnt want to push my luck on the first post. I was thinking that the diffs were 44's on camel back suspension but being a non truck owner I am not sure, would also be good to know if the camels were rubber or brass bush but so far as I can tell you have to disassemble them or have the part number I think I read in a post in this forum (somewhere, its really extensive this place!).

You have already answered some unasked questions I had bigcam and from what you are saying the bonnet is from the 700 series. As mentioned I have not owned trucks before and have had a little time behind a wheel but not for any extended period, the love of them comes from growing up on a corner hotel outside waiting for my oldman to drink the tradional 20 beers while Heggies and Fife & Co drove past so any advice big or little is great for me ( im also secretly a Kenworth W Model 80's era Tragic but none have come along for the right price "yet"). Thanks for the response by the way.

Regards
Dan

2 Blondes Walked into a Building.......neither of them seen it.....BOOM  BOOM!!!&&A blo

More
13 years 5 months ago #38561 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: 1980 Mack R?
Gidday Dan,

Been having a study of your pictures and I reckon it might be an early series Superliner. Them air cleaners are the latest style Donaldsons and I reckon the bonnet has had a prune to get them to fit.
I bought a pair of them a few months back and they are identical with the little plastic caps on the lid bolts.
Old style air cleaners on the R700's and early Superliners had removable bums to get filters out that were prone with rusting out from wet mud sitting in the bottom.
See if you can get the info of the tag that'll tell you what it is.
Tag is on the right side of the firewall just near where the steering shaft comes through.
Chassis number is on the left chassis rail side just near the front spring front hanger.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
13 years 5 months ago #38562 by Daninmky
Thanks for the info, I have just logged in to see if that question had been asked before and if not where I found these details. Again thank you for the replies.

Regards
Dan

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #38563 by cemeNTepede
Replied by cemeNTepede on topic Re: 1980 Mack R?
From the pics,the inside door panels are Superliner.Unlikely that it is an R600 with SL
bonnet as the actual cabin is slightly further back(because it is an R700) from the bumper on an SL.
i.e. the SL bonnet is longer than an R600.The joint between the bonnet and cab on ALL
Superliners is an unhappy affair.The result of a marriage between a "roundish/curvy"cab and a slab sided/square bonnet.
Think very long and hard before "taking a piece out of the centre of the bonnet to make it look right".
The bunk on this truck is definately a ring-in.
I had a new SL (V8-400) in 1985 and its chassis no. was on the left hand chassis rail
"between"the drive wheels.
No reason it couldn't be 1980..........
Buntine got one of the first Superliners in the country in 1979.
Single drive,320 Coolpower,12sp.Cab was trimmed in the States."Western Trim" I think it was called. 36"steel low bunk.
Sid Ballard,Camooweal got the "Indian Pacific"at the same time.3408(V8) Cat,12sp,bogie drive.
Chook Gilbert,Adelaide got a 320/12sp bogie drive too.
The EM9 Mack motor wasn't ready in 1979.Didn't arrive 'till 1981,I think.

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by cemeNTepede.

More
13 years 5 months ago #38564 by Daninmky
Thanks for the info NT, I have thought long and hard about the bonnet being trimmed and the more I look at it the more I feel that the bonnet has basically sagged like it has due to sitting in its position for the past 17 months. I am planning another trip to the truck this week as the owner has accepted my offer (really didnt think he would :o) so hopefully the rain will have stopped by then and I will be able to get under the bonnet and find the ID tag etc. Also glad you mentioned that the sleeper is a ring in as I have been trying to find one similiar but so far have only been able to place them on SAR's etc so I am thinking it is a Kenworth Sleeper. Its not really an issue as I plan to build it into a day cab anyway.
Again thanks for the information its been extremely helpful.

1 quick question I have is does anyone know where to look for a manual for this model?

Thanks
Dan

13 years 5 months ago #38565 by
Replied by on topic Re: 1980 Mack R?
Hi Dan, looks like an early Superliner. I think it is probably genuine. Chassis No. will be on the drivers side rail in front of the leading rear axle, about in line with the tyre and there should be a plate on the firewall under the bonnet, where the air cleaner pipe comes in on the drivers side. On a Superliner the bonnet is basically larger than the cab, dont do anymore trimming of the bonnet, for some reason its been trimmed to clear air cleaner plumbing, The sleeper looks like a 'TruckEquip' box, a generic sleeper of the late 70's, basically a one piece f/glass box. See how you go and tell us what you find.
Jeff.

More
13 years 5 months ago #38566 by disco
Replied by disco on topic Re: 1980 Mack R?
Dan, when you lift the bonnet have a look for cracks in the fiberglass, that will tell you a bit about if the bonnett is saged or not,some us of s/liner drivers used to stretch out on em to sleep on those warm nights

More
13 years 5 months ago #38567 by bobkat
Replied by bobkat on topic Re: 1980 Mack R?
JD if i found you asleep on a jigga's bonnet I would go away very quietly. how are you Disco my old china plate.

Dave

Time to create page: 0.510 seconds