Skip to main content

Whats your handiest restoration tool?

• Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #56361 by
Chinese sandblast cabinet is a slow process using glass bead and certainly needs a heap of air.
This is the compressor i now use and it just keeps up when using the blaster non stop.

I have not tried it with anything harder than the glass bead but i will be blasting my rims next week so i might try and get some garnet.

Trevor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #56362 by Tacho
G'day Trevor
Thanks for your reply. My workshop compressor is only 15.54 cu ft /min so will really struggle with a cabinet. It is the biggest capacity single phase one I could find at the time I bought it.
I bought an industrial sand blaster on Grays online auction recently but have not used it yet. While in Adelaide this week I chased up some info at three places. It seems like a helmet will cost $500 to $690, a breathing air filter $775 to $918 and the dead-man air switch is missing so more dollars there. 30/60 Garnet is $520 to $585 a tonne but in 25 kg bags. To buy less than a tonne the price sky rockets.
I have a quarter share in a Broomwade 250 CFM trailer compressor we use to clean down hay, harvest or whatever machinery, and it is usually stored in my shed so that part is good. I was thinking about a blast cabinet just for convenience and for small parts. Any further clues will be welcome.
Cheers Geoff
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Tacho.

• Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #56363 by
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationGeoff

This is were i picked my one up from but the price has gone up since mine has the built in suction/cleaner on the back.

He also does a smaller unit

If you have the larger compressor available then you will not have any trouble with it, you only need 1 x 25kg bag in my unit.

Trevor

More
12 years 10 months ago #56364 by at4 114
I bought a chinese sandblast cabinet not long ago,i have a 15 cfm compressor 70l tank which is plumed into a 200l tank that goes to the cabinet.

More
12 years 10 months ago #56365 by mammoth
Dial up clemco on ebay UK. Even after post, helmet, breathing filter, nozzles etc etc are half the price they are here. Put old tarps around your work area so the garnet can be collected and recycled.

More
12 years 10 months ago #56366 by Chocs
If ya want a good sandblasting booth....
Use a tautliner!! Plenty of em layin around sales yards....
pull the curtains back..load er up , close the curtains
blast away to ya hearts content...
all the grit is contained, easy to sweep up for re use...

good ta go!

chocs 8-)

More
12 years 9 months ago #56367 by Tacho
G'day and thanks for the reply's fella's.
Choc's, your idea about using an old tautliner as a blast shed is a clever bit of thinking. I reckon a 20 to 24 footer would be about right.
AT4, you are just over the hill from me so will catch up if I go any further with a blast cabinet. We are going to the WA NHMA rally soon so will be after that.
Mammoth, I will follow up the eBay UK suggestion and see what happens.
Cheers Geoff

Time to create page: 0.428 seconds