Skip to main content

Leyland Terrier V8 4.4 Petrol Automatic - Moths

More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #127598 by Eddy

... doubt if back in the day someone would retrofit a petrol where a diesel originally was ...

Petrol retrofits were quite common in 70s & 80s.
I got a Hadfield catalogue with at least 50 conversions (including holden 186 into Ford F350!!!)
ISTBC but I don't think GM put the 253/308 into the Bedfords, pretty sure they were aftermarket, and listed in Hadfield's catalogue, along with 289/302/351 into D series fords.

edit: OK so been trolling through the ol'bloke's notes some more.
Definite that leyland only fitted 4.4 to Terriers.
None ever fitted to Boxers or larger.
Could also be possible that Boxer axles may have been fitted to the Terriers to get the bigger capacity.

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"
Last edit: 9 years 4 weeks ago by Eddy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #127599 by The Moth
Last edit: 9 years 4 weeks ago by The Moth.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #127600 by The Moth
For the Leyland Trucks - The main / basic chassis frame is common to the wheelbases and expected carrying weights irrespective of the intended model. Different thickness of the metal in the rails were used for the higher weight versions but this was not

More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #127601 by The Moth
Known Differences between Boxers and Terriers ..
Even though the chassis (and axles) were the same between the Terrier and similar rated BX5
Last edit: 9 years 4 weeks ago by The Moth.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #127602 by kenny-mopar

... doubt if back in the day someone would retrofit a petrol where a diesel originally was ...

Petrol retrofits were quite common in 70s & 80s.
I got a Hadfield catalogue with at least 50 conversions (including holden 186 into Ford F350!!!)
ISTBC but I don't think GM put the 253/308 into the Bedfords, pretty sure they were aftermarket, and listed in Hadfield's catalogue, along with 289/302/351 into D series fords.

.. Pretty sure holden factory fitted the V8s to the last of the Bedfords .. They same as Leyland classed them as "heavy duty " V8s. Although heavy duty may have just meant less compression & a hi torque cam ;) it did seem that more Bedfords were fitted with the 253 .... It was also in the era when f

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #127603 by The Moth
Having worked for GMH .. I have seen plenty of factory 253 Bedford Trucks which were made to take some sales away from the Leyland V8's. Usually across their life - they were upgraded to a 308 by their owners.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #127604 by kenny-mopar
It's funny having had many P76s over the years the leyland would always blow away a 253 but could never quite catch a 308

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #127605 by Mrsmackpaul
fantastic Moth Kenny and Eddy thats whats great about this forum the free input from people and open thoughts and friendly discussion

because its April the 1st found one for sale for you Moth well tested and tested well

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #127606 by Eddy
... and sold to some fireworks mob in Sydney.

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #127607 by The Moth
Fantastic images from Truck and Bus .. that truck shown is the

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds