• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 1 month ago #155228 by Swishy
PeterMan
Sme Again

wot about
1968 +- a cuple
a truck show @ Sandown Prk Hotel (nex 2 Sandown Racecourse Dandy & Corrigan Rd Cnr
a fully imported Pete Conventional rig dressed up az Dump body with dog trailer be n a transfere body
Wot B cum of this rig

[img

Clikity ....ClikClikClik 2 C how a modern day Transfere can work

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago #155229 by
Replied by on topic Re: Aussie Peterbilts and owners
....showin' your age now Swishy! ;D ;D....ch/no 17896 351A Conventional 220" WB demonstrated down here in late 1965 at Pakenham Blue Metals and the Melbourne Truck Show of the same year...

....Sold new to Australian Fertilisers Limited (they had 4 of 'em) cut down to a 176" WB prime mover...lived a fairly obscure life beyond that and now resides in Melbourne

• Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago #155230 by
Hi Phil, don't forget the Unit that Alltrans put into service on the 29th of Dec 1965.
Loosley. :) ;)

• Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #155231 by
...yeah loosely...the single drive conventional 8-)...later fitted with a tag axle and now up around Gloucester (NSW).. ch/no 20314

...this was the truck that Laurie O'Neil placed a lot of faith in to further the Peterbilt name in Australia and offered it to Peter Abeles to trial as a leased truck with the option to buy if all went favourably ...

...it not only was a resounding success, the Alltrans group went on to purchase another eleven units which was a huge capital expense for these premium North American trucks...

...Laurie related the story of how the deal had been made, the trade ins appraised,and now it was time to do the hand over...

..."to do this exercise properly the trade ins were to be collected and inspected, at which point their condition noted as per agreement, and the new trucks handed over"...

...Peter Abeles at this point tried to pull a swifty and trade in a bunch of similar (deutz) shabby old clunkers to what had been originally appraised...at which Laurie O'Neil fumed all the way to Abele's office and shouted "THE DEAL'S OFF!!...

..Abele's told O'Neil to sit down and relax but Laurie wouldn't have a bar of it and repeatedly stated that the deal is off!..

...Peter Abeles finally placated Laurie O'Neil enough to convey to him that all would be good....and that he now knew that was the best deal anyone would ever get out of Laurie O'Neil and Peterbilt Australia!!! ;D ;D :D :D

More
9 years 1 month ago #155232 by overnite
I remember being at Empire Speedway (Sydney showground) in early to mid 60s and what was reputed to be the first Peterbilt in Australia, doing a few parade laps. It was a COE and green from memory, don't remember whether single or bogie drive. I forget what they said the price was at the time, but remember that it was quite a lot of money back then.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
9 years 1 month ago #155233 by BillyP
GDay Tec,

This is probably not what yore lookin for...................but ..................

i havnt seen it before i spotted it late last year..........so here goes................

...................Billy...................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 1 month ago #155234 by Swishy
Ure onit .... n all ovr it detective .... in 2009

[img

Clikity ..ClikClikCLik

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 1 month ago #155235 by Dave_64
'Tective,

Nuther couple, one heavy haulage unit based on mid/north NSW coast late seventies, painted orange/green, got an idea that it was owned and operated by semi-govt body similar Dept of Forests, pulled a float. Colour scheme similar to Walter Wrights??

Other one was owned by Kenny Clark, the "Grey Ghost" who was going to rebuild it. Kenny both drove and then subbied to the "Bicky Barrels" early eighties with a bonneted White. Last I heard of it, (Pete) the chooks were using it for a weekender! Lived most of his life in Sydney Metro area, also worked for 'Ace Gutters' for quite some time.

Cheers, Dave 64

• Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #155236 by
...overnite .. as usual in stories like these there were a few "firsts"...first bogie drive, first single drive, first owner driver Pete, first into service etc. etc....your one may've been one of the Canninton (Caltex) day cabs ?...they were all green with a white stripe around the middle

...in fact a few 1963 cabovers were already out on our highways by the time they were first shown at a truck show or display in early 1964...Mainline with a couple, and Brian Condon from SA on fuel haul...

...Billy .. that's a later model blow in and may've been one of a few that Paul Freestone bought in from Florida back in the early '90's

...Dave .. the Forestry Commission owned that one for a long time before being sold and eventually ending up with long time Peterbilt stalwart Geoff McDonald and on tankers at the time. ch/no 19429... and for a long time now on the North Coast NSW with another collector....

... that last one Dave, i'll have to have a headscratch about...any other clues??

More
9 years 1 month ago #155237 by overnite
Detective, the one at the speedway was metallic green all over, no stripe, not the dark green that Caltex were running at the time.

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds