More
5 years 7 months ago #195881 by grandad
Get it right in a minute

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #195885 by Lang
Thank you for that. Very interesting vehicle.

I wonder if the small 6 cylinder engine was a Mack product or something else - Continental?

The body looks very similar to the Internationals of the period, by far the most popular delivery type. The external shape and interior set-up makes me think they may have been built by Metro but Budd, as well as several others, did a number of these bodies for other manufacturers.
Having to buy the vehicle as a rolling chassis with everything extra I think there may have been many Mack delivery vans built outside the factory offering by local bodybuilders, much the same as car bodies were built locally in many cases pre-1925. Delivery bodies are of course built locally to this very day.

Might be interesting to get going on a delivery van thread but I am now free of foot restraints and back on the road (and shed) so will reduce the tsunami of posting - much to the relief of many no doubt.

Lang

More
5 years 7 months ago #195886 by wee-allis
I just love the look of the 17" spider hubs. They would be pretty rare wouldn't they.

More
5 years 7 months ago #195887 by Lang
In the weight column, it says 7.50-17 wheels but in the specs it says 6.00-17.

The front cover of the brochure looks like fat tyres but the photos inside just look like 6.00.

Once again, you could not walk up to the dealer and drive away because it only came undercoated. No mention of how much extra that paint would be.

I must admit when I bought my Commer in 1965 they only came in grey undercoat and were painted to specification but at least that was included in the price and not an extra (except for sign-writing).

Lang

More
5 years 7 months ago #195985 by grandad
1944 Mack FCSW

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, xspanrman

More
5 years 7 months ago #195991 by JOHN.K.
The motor in the van is what mack called a EN11.........and claimed they made it.........but coincidentally ,its identical to a Continental F6-209............as are a whole series of small Mack engines including the alternative engine fitted to the wartime EH which was a Continental 271 ci.

More
5 years 7 months ago #195993 by roKWiz
Some Mack's at Clarendon yesterday.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, PaulFH, grandad, Southbound, xspanrman, oliver1950

More
5 years 7 months ago #196063 by grandad
Rebodied Mack NR in Belgium

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, xspanrman

More
5 years 7 months ago #196077 by R.Buron
About the Mack Retailer step van, it was definitively powered by a Continental engine. The body was built in house in a body shop located in Mack's Long Island City plant (New-York). The production run between 1940 and 1942 and the production was limited to only 249 trucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, grandad, roKWiz

Time to create page: 0.572 seconds