Skip to main content

Is an old truck for me?

More
14 years 6 months ago #15942 by hofmann
Hi all, this is my first post. I am a builder in Newcastle and I'm thinking about buying an old truck but I'm not sure if its a good idea. The main reason is that I think they are beautiful and so do many other people. I intend to use it as advertising for my construction business as well as a day to day tool so if it turns heads, all the better. At the same time I am not really mechanically minded and I can't be dealing with regular breakdowns, unavailable or excessively expensive parts. I recently bought a 2000 model mercedes vito, which turned out to be a piece of crap, and I don't want to repeat my mistake. My main question is, should I do this at all and if so, what sort of truck would you recomend. American trucks wouldn't be my first choice, because I do eco type work now and then and I don't really think it would fit in with the image. I wouldn't want anything too precious because it still needs to work daily and I may want to make modern upgrades etc. without feeling like I am destroying a piece of history. In fact, if I got a really old truck, I would probably prefer it to have a more modern engine etc. Anyway, to cut a long story short, there is this truck cgi.ebay.com.au/international-acco-510A-...?hash=item1e58c1f142 .
Sorry, don't know how to make this a link.
It doesn't have quite the head turning qualities I wanted but the box on the back is perfect because it's basically meant to be a mobile workshop. Opinions on this truck would be appreciated and any alternative trucks you know of. If it didn't have a box like this I would probably just be after a trayback so I can do my own. If you think I will regret buying an old truck, please let me know. Thanks guys.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #15943 by Andy Wright
Hofman, I think you have several things to consider. However, first of all, thanks for finding us and asking the question. As you might guess we're pretty biased towards old trucks.

Now, if you want an old truck to work and also be an advertisement for your business - what 'look' do you want. As much as I love the ACCO (what you linked to) it is not the most exciting-looking truck in the world and there's actually quite a few of them still working. The same can be said for the Bedford TK and Bedford J-type BUT these have more of an 'old' look. They are also quite numerous, parts are relatively easy to get hold of and there's a lot of knowledge out there about them. Also, they are basic.

I know you aren't too keen on American trucks but there is a landscaping company in Melbourne - Fulton's IIRC - that still runs a number of early '50s Chev tippers and are well known for it. They also have modern gear but the Chevs look great. Many of this age of trucks (and the Bedfords mentioned above) used to run petrol engines and can be easily converted to gas which might help your environmental credentials

I would recommend joining an old truck club as a source of knowledge (and camaraderie). While you can't register a working truck through a club concessional system, the information and resources that a club can provide will be invaluable.

From the sounds of it you'll be spending some good money to get a truck that is good to go or a good truck that won't take much to be top notch. Having a club resource to back you up if you ever have curly questions or need recommendations for services is the way to go.

Have a look around on here to see if there's anything you like. Some of the other guys will have have suggestions and advice as well so take it all on board as there's guys on here who know more than I ever will.

Where are you located?

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by Andy Wright.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 6 months ago #15944 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Is an old truck for me?

Hoffy
GuddayM8

I'd B inclined to go get a modern reliable jiggr with a buggered cab from the wreckers, then put a cab from an ol jiggr on it
get it dun up in fancy paint work, wot ever

Not sayn th@ iz wot this is
az it may B original sumwhere underneath

www.hotrodsroasts.com.au

http://www.cfulton.com.au/cms/GetImage.php?pageId=2&id=23

www.cfulton.com.au

Aslo need to figure in
Q:? how much weight will U B cart n round ?
also will U need roof rack from Bumper to bumper to cart long lengths of material ?

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #15945 by hofmann
Replied by hofmann on topic Re: Is an old truck for me?
Thanks for the quick replies. If it hadn't been for the box on the back, which is almost exactly what I had envisaged, I probably wouldn't have considered it because, as you say, it's no head turner. I spoke to him earlier, he reckons the V8 petrol engine is fine and he only wants $2000 which would give me plenty of spare cash to get it sorted out. Obviously, I have no intention of sorting it out myself so if you know anyone around here who could, let me know.
I really liked this one
www.aussietraders.com.au/For-Sale/1951-b...Shepparton_3975.html
but the restoration job and the fact its in Victoria turned me off. I'm in Newcastle NSW.I had a look at the for sale section here before I signed up and there didn't seem to be much but maybe I didn't look properly.
The idea of putting an old cab on a new truck is certainly appealing but I wasn't sure what sort of reaction that was going to get here. To be honest I may even feel a little fraudulent myself. Where would you look for a damaged truck and where would I find the cab. I would still be looking at a 2-4 tonner. Are there certain trucks and/or cabs that lend themselves to this sort of thing?
I will mainly be carrying tools but occassionally I might want to pick up a load of hardwood or even bricks etc. I will likely often pull a trailer too. I'm no speed freak but I want to be able to move just about anything.
So I like the idea of a bedford and I'll look these models up. I guess you're saying that the accos are more complicated and parts and knowledge are rarer?
Yes I would definitely join a club. Any recomendations?
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by hofmann.

More
14 years 6 months ago #15946 by hofmann
[
also will U need roof rack from Bumper to bumper to cart long lengths of material ?

cya[/color]
[/size]
[/font]
[/b][/quote]
Depends on the body. If there is a long bonnet then yes, if its like the acco, the rail behind the cab should be fine. For two grand, I would consider buying the acco, taking the back off it and selling the truck on, even if I have to get it rego'd first. Whadeyarekon?

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 6 months ago #15947 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Is an old truck for me?

Hoffy
GuddayM8

It all boils down to wot U want
How much U wanna $pend
n how long do u wanna wait for the beast to B up n ready to rok n roll
U wont want anything too old n original as U wanna drive/work it, n tow a trailer @ Hwy speeds coz a old original U might have to baby it n not just floor it

To do a ol cab on a new jiggr may require engineering certification of the modification

probly best to go with a petrol donk runnin on gas or a diesel donk of known quality
If U go for a bonneted truck u need front loading rack
this might look a bit ugly so get a removerable one th@ can B stowed in under the rear body when not needed

http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=19021119&S=IS&wmin=truckhub
www.truckhub.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?...D=2948608&TabID=3443

http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=18659648&S=IS&wmin=truckhub
www.truckhub.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?...D=2916063&TabID=3443

Do sum leg work n ask Q:? @
Truck wreckers
Boby repairs
Car Clubs
Jist tell m wot U got in mind
cos they may B able to steer U in the right direction
there is a few vehicle restorers on the Web, but nun @ Newcastle th@ I could find

www.mildtowildrestorations.com.au/restoration.html

www.cawarrasmashrepairs.com.au/vehicle_restorations

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 6 months ago #15948 by Andy Wright
Hofman, if you're in Newcastle you'd be well placed to chat to the Hunter Valley Classic Commercial Vehicle Club. They'll have some good contacts and know what there is to know.

Drop Andrew Blacklock a line - renaeblacklockATbigpond.com (replacing the AT with @) - he's a mover and shaker in the club and would be happy to sit down and have a chat to work out what you want. Good group of guys too so consider joining the club.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
14 years 6 months ago #15949 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: Is an old truck for me?
There was a furniture showroom down in Melbourne that had a '50s bedford restored furniture van with modern running gear. I think it was a holden V8 with 3 speed auto. We bought a dining table from them and the neighborhood was very impressed when this thing turned up to deliver it and the driver got out wearing a suit and tie (it was the shop owner). He told me he had got it professionally rebuilt and cost him about $20,000, ten years ago.

Dennis

14 years 6 months ago #15950 by
Replied by on topic Re: Is an old truck for me?
I've got a mate who runs a '42 Chev 1 ton ute, that he rebuilt from scratch, using a Commodore V6 motor and drivetrain .. ::)

It's a real head-turner, even though it's not "flashed-up" like the "Spit Roasts" GMC. He reckoned that he rebuilt it that way, because he wanted a modern drivetrain that had good (disc) brakes, power steering, auto, A/C and comfortable seating (buckets) .. however, I reckon he could have picked better than a CommonWhore drivetrain .. ::)

Remember, that old vehicles in original form, have poor lighting, poor braking, heavy steering, and pretty uncomfortable seating.
The old fellas did it tough .. but traffic wasn't heavy in the old days, and speeds were a lot slower.
80kmh was pretty fair clip to get along at, with the old commercial vehicles.

If you want a comfortable "daily driver", with an original "antique" look .. you'd be best off, modifying a 1950's Ford F100, a Chevvy or Dodge, using the original cab and chassis, but installing modern disc brakes, a late model engine and drivetrain, power steering and bucket seats. These vehicles look schmick when done up with a nice paint job .. but you can also run away with a lot of money. You might be better off, looking at what's for sale, in a hot-rodding magazine, in the shape of one already converted. It can take a couple of years, even if you're paying someone else to do it .. and be prepared to spend $$'s.

More
14 years 6 months ago #15951 by hofmann
I will absolutely contact the hunter club, thanks. Just out of curiosity, if that acco turned out to be a good truck, are there any other more attractive cabs that might fit on it in the future?

Time to create page: 0.564 seconds