Skip to main content

Is an old truck for me?

More
14 years 6 months ago #15972 by hofmann
Replied by hofmann on topic Re: Is an old truck for me?
How about this one.
cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
When you get into a truck that old though, are they still sort of driveable or am I just slowly destroying our heritage. Are parts available?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #15973 by kennymopar2
mite be okay but you might run late for work lol

More
14 years 6 months ago #15974 by hofmann
Listen Kenny, been thinking. I'm interested in seeing that acco anyway because of the back on it. The guy reckons he's gonna call me through the week. Would you be willing to have a look at it with me? Maybe when you're doing a load to to Sydney soon. If the trucks reasonably savable, I might as well use it while it works. If not maybe I make a trailer out of the back half and sell the rest to someone who can use it. Whatever, let me know. I still have your number if you want me to call you.

More
14 years 6 months ago #15975 by kennymopar2
i just tried to get the link up again ..but the ebay auction of that little inter has ended . . i can tell you with those 345 V8 powered trucks you can have a few problems ..the motor/gearbox/diff are strong in them . . the brakes you can have troubles with(& parts are expensive because being one of the smaller international trucks there arnt many around which means some parts are hard to find new or 2nd hand in good condition)but the main things to look for in that inter truck is Rust/ steering box "play" & brake problems (they also have two big brake boosters near rear diff) .. one postitive when on a trip the GVM being under 8 ton you dont need to pull into the RTA inspection stations which saves a little bit of stress in a older truck
dont forget "just trucks"should be at the newsagents this week

More
14 years 6 months ago #15976 by hofmann
Thanks for that Kenny. I know the ebay thing has finished but I got his number. I will definitely get that mag but surely I'd be lucky to find a box like that. It's quite specific. I will keep that all in mind. Nevertheless I wouldn't even know how to check that stuff so if anyone is keen to have a look at it for me in Sydney, I'm happy to pay.

More
14 years 6 months ago #15977 by kennymopar2
gooday hoffman .. if you find something interesting reasonably close give me a bell .. i started life as a mechanic so i still know a little about mechanical stuff .. just at the moment being self employed & moving house etc things are a bit hectic ! .. i havnt even got the internet on for the next 2 or 3 weeks ..im at a internet cafe as we speak

More
14 years 6 months ago #15978 by hofmann
Totally understand. The post after you gave the tips was not aimed at you. I think this thread has got so long no one reads to the end. Plus we went off into our own thing. Can't believe you're at an internet cafe. Or is it an internet pub? I am sure moving house is no less of a mission for you than the rest of us. Got the just trucks mag. Unfortunately anything I'm interested in is in the black and white section so I can't tell if it's mint or a banger. One recurring theme seems to be"good for resto" and far less of the "just finished beautiful resto, which is more down my alley. I bought a kingswood once that was "nearly" finished. Spent a bloody fortune on it and more particularly, way too much time. It was nice in the end but I have to remember how many times I swore I would never do it again. The one thing I don't need is a project which brings me back to my question in the first place. Is an old truck for me. I don't have time to tinker with it on the weekend. I wouldn't know what to tinker with in the first place.I don't have time for breakdowns or unavailable parts. I need a machine in good all round condition that will be reliable and require no unreasonable maintenance. At the same time I realise it's not going to be as smooth a ride as a new truck. And it needs to be pretty. I know the acco may not fill many of those criteria but I am justifying it because the back alone is worth it so I can stick it on another truck down the track.. By the way, I saw one of those fodens in there, page 142, how cool are those. Not for me but good for resto.

14 years 6 months ago #15979 by
Replied by on topic Re: Is an old truck for me?
Hofman - What length of tray do you need, and what kind of power plant are you keenest on? (diesel? - 6 cyl - V8?) .. how much moola are you prepared to spend? ($$$'s) .. how old? .. and do you want manual or auto .. ??

We can do a quick search to help you, if we know the parameters of what you're working on ..

More
14 years 6 months ago #15980 by hofmann
Diesel, manual, 4/5m tray. I'm not too worried about acceloration but I need to be able to get a heavyish load up a steep driveway and I hate to flog the engine on the freeway. I love gears. I like the flared wheel arches but also like the older flat front ones like the small commers I think. Otherwise, don't have a particular age. Would be happy to spend 10 000 to 15 000.

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #15981 by hofmann
As a builder I primarily need to carry tools and at the moment my van is so chockers I can barely get the shopping home. I am forever lugging plant and equipment to and from my garage because anything bigger than a power saw can't stay permanantly. This is why I am interested in the acco linked origionally, for the ultimate tool box. It's not a headturner but its not ugly. If the truck is easily savable, I would probably use it. If not I would either remove the back and install it onto a better truck or, better still, make the toolbox into a trailer and I was wondering if I could do this by chopping the cab off and welding on a draw bar. Is this feasible and do you know if I could tow this with a medium rigid licence? Didn't I just say I don't need a project? Anyway, that's different because it's not going to be my primary transport. If I buy a truck to use, then I'm happy to spend the money and as you can see, whatever i get, it needs to be able to tow.
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by hofmann.

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds