Skip to main content

Is an old truck for me?

More
14 years 6 months ago #15952 by kennymopar2
gooday hofmann from a fellow novacastrian ..up until recently i was running my removal Bussiness using a old dodge (1971 model) and a 1970s leyland Mastiff ..and yess the customers like to have a chat about old trucks ..especially something that looks "Aussie" ..i recently sold a old acco 510a to a mate . .they are really just a lightweight truck with small brakes/small / troublesome steering box & if not run on LPG a attrocious fuel bill ! ... what part of Newcastle are you in?
cheers ken

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #15953 by hofmann
Replied by hofmann on topic Re: Is an old truck for me?
Heh Ken, I'm in Mayfield. I have a bad reputation for falling in love with bad ideas and hammering away at them untill I'm sorry, despite all my wife's best efforts so thanks for the advice about the acco. I may still consider buying it just for the tray but I need something prettier anyway. I also saw a note somewhere here about them having a bad rep for rust. Took the hot rod idea on board because they're essentially old trucks with new gear in them and I came accross this. I'm at risk of falling in love again. I know I said I wasn't into American but
cgi.ebay.com.au/CLASSIC-48-FORD-FREIGHTE...?hash=item2c5162fdb6
It's certainly pretty. What do you guys reckon it'll go for? Any problems with these and what sort of questions should I ask the vendor?
To those posts that I haven't answered directly, it's all very appreciated and I am taking it all on board.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 6 months ago #15954 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Is an old truck for me?

Hoffy
GuddayM8
Now u're on u're way
1st step
is an idea
2nd step is to take a looksee

Hoffy'z link pix

Don't go 4 the 1st one U C
have alook around so U compare good Versus Bad points of each vehicle

Don't 4 get we need pix of the finished work vehicle
PLEASE

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #15955 by hofmann
Still curious to know what you guys think it'll go for. Is there anyone up there who could look at it for me? I'm going to be dreaming about it tonight, I can tell.
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by hofmann.

14 years 6 months ago #15956 by
Replied by on topic Re: Is an old truck for me?
That Freighter is a nice truck. The Fords are nice to drive and ride in, and have a comfortable cab. In addition, the 48 Freighter is a collectable classic, and it won't go down in value if you look after it. That eBay offered price is pretty reasonable, if the truck is rust free .. you wouldn't be able to build one up yourself for less.

More
14 years 6 months ago #15957 by hofmann
Geez you're not convincing me out of it. If I could get it for that price I would probably just buy it but that's just the starting bid. It's funny coming from new cars how cheap all this gear seems. I mean, I've seen schmicko primemovers on this site for 40 000. I couldn't say I haven't considered converting one of these into a work truck but I'm sure they'd be a nightmare to get around town in. Back to the subject, what do you guys think my highest bid should be on something like this. I have messaged them to ask what they want so we'll see.

More
14 years 6 months ago #15958 by kennymopar2
gooday mr hofman (or is it the hoff lol) .. ive one of my future projects parked in mayfield ..a mercedes furniture truck . . i reken just wait a few days untill the new monthly "just trucks" magazines comes out ..there will be plenty on offer in it ! .. if theres anything you like mention it here & im sure there will be someone that knows the pros and cons
cheers ken

More
14 years 6 months ago #15960 by hofmann
You in Mayfield too? As you can gather from my surname I'm of German descent so just about my whole family drives Mercedes. My dads got an old one but buggered if I know the model. So like a good little German I went off and bought myself a vito van. Well, what a heap of crap that is. The whole bloody thing falls to bits. I mean it starts ok but its a diesel so it has no choice. I wrote a nasty letter to mercedes offering them a chance to rectify some of the unwarranted problems with this particular lemon but no response yet and not expecting one. I was a bit on the rude side to be fair. Love to see your truck or by future project do you mean its only in slightly better nick than my vito. What was your furniture business? And if you canned it, how come your building a furniture truck? My company's called Oakville construction. Maybe I've done a quote for you. I'm not cheap so you probably would have gone with someone else. Good to see I'm not the only one ignoring my family at this time of night. I'll probably have to go soon before the death stares turn into knives.

More
14 years 6 months ago #15961 by hofmann
That made me laugh swishy. My wife wants to know whats so funny. Thanks for all the research. Unfortunately they're all more in the ute category. I need something a bit bigger.

Time to create page: 0.589 seconds