Skip to main content

Leyland Buffalo: What's the Story?

More
14 years 6 months ago #16135 by Sarge
BC..... It would be an excellent vehicle to love and to hold etc... but Bob got it first.

I see you had 2 go's at the old blokes font size.... me too but I cant get it to stick in my post, Im not resorting to the block select system... thats I wear reading Spec's are for.

Sarge. :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 6 months ago #16136 by Swishy

Have U totally ruled out it being a SUPER HIPPO
Me don't no 4 sure

so any LeyLand Xpurtz
Wot B the differce B tween
Buffalo/Hippo/Super Hippo

EnquirinMindzNeed2NoUNo

Give till it Hurtz

LOL

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 6 months ago #16137 by bigcam

BC..... It would be an excellent vehicle to love and to hold etc... but Bob got it first.

I see you had 2 go's at the old blokes font size.... me too but I cant get it to stick in my post, Im not resorting to the block select system... thats I wear reading Spec's are for.

Sarge. :-X

Sarge,click on the font size,then 2 things in brackets come up,size=14 and size,move the cursor doohicker between them and ckick so it splits them,then type your message in,piss of fish mate.

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #16138 by Tatra
Sarge,

Many thanks for the photos - looks like someone fitted a Joey box at some stage which explain why it survived :-/?

Typical minimal Leyland instrumentation, the kind you'd expect to find in an Austin cambridge but not a heavy duty truck like this...

Any more info on it?

Swishy,

I think the Buff had a heavier front axle and chassis and, of course, the Leyland 900 engine was not available on the Hippos and Beavers - the most you got were either the 680 and (much later) the turbocharged 690. You can tell a Buff by the longer bonnett with the three (instead of only two) cooling slats on the side, but also the wings were different (don't think any Buff had the quad headlights some Beavers had).

I take it you have been spared the Leyland experience :)

Cheers,

T
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by Tatra.

More
14 years 6 months ago #16139 by Andy Wright

@Andy,

Thanks - I would very much appreciate you asking the NT chap about any info.

Done, Tatra. No reply yet though.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
14 years 6 months ago #16140 by Sarge
Mr T, that Leyland is part of the Bob Addison collection at Beaufort, I dont know if Bob is here on the forum but I am sure some one will be able to ask him about the truck.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #16141 by

so any LeyLand Xpurtz
Wot B the differce B tween
Buffalo/Hippo/Super Hippo

Swishy - AFAIK, the "Super" Hippo was so named, after the Hippo was fitted with the upgraded (increased HP - to 200 HP, from 160 HP) 0-680, "Power Plus" engine. The Buffalo only came with the 900 cube Albion motor. Now watch as someone promptly shows up, and tell me I got it all wrong .. :D

More
14 years 6 months ago #16142 by Tatra
Andy, Sarge,

Thanks for the replies. Nice to see the Buffalo is in good hands - they are as rare as hens' teeth...

Actually, that brings the account to more than one would have expected - at least 4 in Oz, 1 in NZ and possibly 2 in Spain (from what I could gather on the Spanish site, the chap who has the two Buffalos also has a Beaver (the Spainiards had loads of these too) which he restored, so it's unlikely he would let the rarer Buffalos be scraped :-/)

Cheers,

T

Cheers,

T

More
14 years 6 months ago #16143 by mammoth
One T.... since you invited it, the Super name was given to the bonnetted versions of Beaver and Hippo from 1947, nothing to do with the hp upgrade of 1962 as when introduced these were all called Power Plus Range. A Super Comet was introduced around 1959 and was basically a heavier version but carried on in forward control form. The super hippo and beaver looked well balanced with all the updates, but the Buffalo cab and bonnet is so out of proportion it looks like the front wheels are too small

14 years 6 months ago #16144 by
Mammoth, thanks for bringing me up to speed on the Leyland clan history .. I needed a brush-up in that dept .. you can tell I'm a crawler tractor man, first and foremost?? .. :D

Time to create page: 0.488 seconds