Skip to main content

Leyland Buffalo: What's the Story?

More
13 years 11 months ago #16195 by atkipete
Welcome aboard Motu, I have a photo of a big orange Buffalo which I think is the Freightways one.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #16196 by Motu
Thanks for that information,it gives a much clearer picture of the Buffalo's in NZ.I thought Stevensons might have had a Buffalo,but that's all it was,a thought from some childhood memory.Is McRobbie a company or a person?

I was lucky enough to work on some of the old British trucks as I started my apprenticeship in 1970,and even got to work on some of the trucks my father worked on,like Hippo's,Beaver's and Octopus.They disappeared over here pretty quick once owner driver became an option in some of the bigger firms.The owner drivers went for late model trucks,and the big 24hr workshops were downsized in a big way,or just shut down.

More
13 years 11 months ago #16197 by Tatra

Researching about the Leyland Buffalo,I came across this thread

Motu,

In this case, let me also welcome you to the forum in general and the group of Buffaloitis sufferers in particular. We have regular therapy sessions* on this thread and I suppose I'm in charge of the Northern Hemisphere group :)

Speaking of the Northern hemisphere, if you follow the thread on the Spanish camionesclasicos forum ( www.camionesclasicos.com/FORO/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=4884 ), you will reach this beauty, which is one of two saved by Spanish haulier Papa Ali (yes, that's a real name) and featured on the first page of this thread.

The cargo area looks almost like an Aussi livestock body but in fact is a typical 1950s-1960s Spanish construction used to transport anything. The inetersting feature is the sleeper which was incorporated into the cargo area - also check the extra fuel tank which I suppose would have allowed using the cheapest fuel available during a trip to other European coutries...

Pics taken by Isidoro Hernandez who is keeping an eye on the restoration of one of the two Buffs (Papa Ali also have a couple of Super Hippos (and other nicely restored trucks) - see here: www.camionesclasicos.com/FORO/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5948 ).

What it shows though is what a difference dry weather can make - surface rust only...

@ Rufo: so three NZ Buffalos may survive in the end. I suppose I have an unrealistic dream of one day finding one of the three (or four?) Israeli Buffalos but, in light of the need to recycle any bit of steel in that country (and those awful registration rules they have), the chances are slim. Would put me in a serious dillema of practicing what I preach (purchasing a non-registrable wreck in a country I no longer live in :-/)...

Cheers,

T

* I should note that these have a mere psychlogical effect, as there is no cure for this condition (it is a form of masochism really); you learn to live with it and (please don't tell anyone) you begin to like it :o

More
13 years 11 months ago #16198 by cemeNTepede
Let's have a look,please Pete

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
13 years 11 months ago #16199 by VicHung
Here is a photo of Dale's Buffalo. This photo appears in the book HEAVY HAULAGE BY DALES by Graeme Carter and the photo is from the Hugh Scofield collection. This 85 page book has just been published and tells the story of George Dale, George Dale and Son Ltd, Dales Transport Ltd and Dales Freightways Ltd from 1933 until the end. It's full of great and historic photos in B&W and colour and I highly recommend it - available from

www.gtcarterbooks.co.nz

By the way, I have no connection at all with Graeme Carter, I just bought the book today and love it.

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/vicandval/DalesBuffalojpg.jpg?t=1275543739

More
13 years 11 months ago #16200 by Tatra
Vic,

Thanks for the scan. I am amazed by the number of cab types available on the chassis, so far I managed to identify the following:

- standard Leyland "Australasia" cab (like the one on Baskett's Buff);
- later standard Leyland/Scammell Highwayman curved windscreen type;
- curved (split and single) windscreen cabs, found on Spanish Buffalos, not clear whether locally built or maybe another variation on the above;
- Kiwi built ones (as above); and
- another type (see here: www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lorry-bl..._Jan_1961%5B1%5D.jpg ), as seen in a Leyland Oz brouchure and maybe also used on the first Buff chassis shown (but probably not sold) in Israel.

This is just about the most cab types available on any Leyland model I know...

Cheers,

T

More
13 years 11 months ago #16201 by Motu
Thanks for the photo - that's how I remember it,but in Freightways signage.Red number plate,so that dates it pre 1964...I don't know what years and colours of plates before that.I have enjoyed Graeme Carters books,and will look forward to the Dales one.

I was a little disapointed in the Foden book as it didn't give enough detail for me.My father was at Dales when they got the new Cummins powered Foden,and it took over the big jobs.We have a photo of it pulling a huge boiler (I think my brother has it).I served my time under a guy who was at Foden's when they built Dales one - they were really not happy putting a Cummins in it,and couldn't see any reason not to fit a RR,Gardener or Foden engine.He was still scornful 10 years later.

More
13 years 11 months ago #16202 by VicHung
Motu, the Buffalo was bought in 1960 to replace a Leyland Hippo; the Foden was bought in 1965 to replace the Buffalo. The Foden had a Cummins NH220 engine and the Foden 12-speed gearbox.

More
13 years 11 months ago #16203 by atkinsonb
After what Rufus said happened to the Dale's Leyland and what i have been told about this truck i think this is the Dale's truck after the rebuild.

More
13 years 11 months ago #16204 by Andy Wright
Holy crap, what a machine. Second axle is lazy if I'm squinting right?

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

Time to create page: 0.639 seconds