Skip to main content

Leyland Buffalo: What's the Story?

More
13 years 11 months ago #16205 by mike garrett

After what Rufus said happened to the Dale's Leyland and what i have been told about this truck i think this is the Dale's truck after the rebuild.

Stu give Tom Croft a call he might be able to confirm that.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #16206 by Tatra

Holy crap, what a machine.

Holy crap indeed. Looks like a very well made conversion - I wonder whether they've kept the Leyland/Albion 900, bonnett seems suspiciously short :-?

Cheers,

T
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Tatra.

More
13 years 11 months ago #16207 by cemeNTepede
What happened?
Atkinsonb's picture dissappeared ! :-/

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #16208 by
cemeNTepede - All of atkinsonb's pics still show up for me. Maybe you have a connection speed problem?

Maybe Conroys Internet filter is in use already?? .. and he's started with pictures of old trucks .. because he heard they were dirty?? .. :D ;D ;D ;D

More
13 years 11 months ago #16209 by atkinsonb
one more of the old girl with a new paint job, Ken Dixon photo.

More
13 years 11 months ago #16210 by cemeNTepede
Yep,pics are back...........hmmm ;)

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
13 years 11 months ago #16211 by cemeNTepede
Clutha Carrying owned the ex Dales Buffalo in its original form 'till about 1971.
Apparently Southern Excavating acquired then and carried out the rebuild for
Tom Croft.(The above info courtesy of Hugh Schofield)

There doesn't appear to be much Buffalo left...maybe chassis rails and diffs.
Cab and front axle are (various) IH items.Power is 335 Cummins which speaks volumes for those old worm drive Leyland diffs.

It has also been re-registered from its days in Auckland.It almost certainly would have had an "EX" plate then.Interesting to know if it was registered in its rebuilt form as a Leyland (whose chassis number it would bear) or IH (whose nameplate and outward appearance would suggest)

R/

More
13 years 11 months ago #16212 by atkinsonb
just got off the phone from Tommy Croft he said the same as Rufus that it was rebuilt by Southland Excavating and was more inter than leyland and was registered as a inter.

More
13 years 11 months ago #16213 by mike garrett

just got off the phone from Tommy Croft he said the same as Rufus that it was rebuilt by Southland Excavating and was more inter than leyland and was registered as a inter.

I love it when other people do all the work.Thanks guys

More
13 years 10 months ago #16214 by cemeNTepede
A couple of pics of Stevies Buffalo.This one 1973 in their Northcote yard.

And a bit later when Rassmussen at Waihi owned it.(pic late Guy Spurr)

Has CAT stickers on lower cab both sides.Don't know if that means it had been repowered.Could possibly have been done while still with Stevies.They were credited with owning the biggest fleet of CAT equipment in the S.Hemisphere in the 60s.
Most of it at the Kopuku Coal Mine.

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds