Skip to main content

Leyland Buffalo: What's the Story?

More
13 years 6 months ago #16245 by mammoth
one track- it was the law, in NSW at least, to have and use the stupid things, even if indicators were fitted. I have have vivid memory of shool bus driver in 1970 juggling with indictor first, then hand, change gear, get round silent cop (another stupid NSW thing) and then reverse the process.

Pete the LAD cab was made by Motor Panels so was delivered made up whereas the G cab came from within the Leyland group so could be exported as pressings (I stand to be corrected on this)and welded up at the Aussie plant.
The reduction hubs met their limit in the T45 Road runner range with 350hp installed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #16246 by Tatra

Tatra - It looks like one of the locals has been reading up about that Merc/Leyland beast, and built his own.

I can't imagine what the Leyland engineers would think about a repower that sent the HP up by 50% .. and which probably propels the Leyland to road speeds unimaginable to the Leyland men .. :D

I hate to think what supersonic speeds the tailshafts are humming at, at top speed .. with a double overdrive, and hub reduction back end .. :o

Onetrack,

Now you mentioned it, a V8 was fitted under an Ergo cab in the AEC Mandator V8. Not sure what the starting power was on those was but I think more than 260 HP and the projected turbo should have been more than 300 HP. However, the engine was unreliable and they dropped it after a few years. I am amazed time and time how Leyland, now with AEC and the combined engineering talent they ought to have had could not produce anything to counter the Cummins/Scania/Volvo/MAN/DAF bunch on engines. There was also the AEC AV1100(?) which could have been sort of a Cummins KT competitor but they messed up that too :-[

As for Leymerc or Mercland I posted, I would guess there's more German stuff in there than Pommy - definitely M-B axles and most likely a six from the larger round bonnet models, but then over there Mercedes is a holly icon...

Cheers,

T
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by Tatra.

More
13 years 6 months ago #16247 by Tatra
... and now there are 5 of the beasts on the road:

The only one on our side of the world, as far as I am aware. Actually, they finished it in May already but the pics were only posted now (more here: www.camionesclasicos.com/FORO/viewtopic.php?p=285249#p285249 ).

Cheers,

T

More
12 years 6 months ago #16248 by Tatra
Another one from Spain, posted originally on www.camionesclasicos.com/FORO/viewtopic....0302fb64b12275221681

I cleaned up the pic a bit...

The other pics on the thread show it as an originally built lwb EHB1/L, Auto Madrid shortened it to make the tractor unit shown. They must have also added the half sleeper - note also the Spanish long distance fuel tank under the sleeper - looks almost like one of yours :o

So I could not resist:

The famous Spanish road train ;)

Cheers,

T

12 years 6 months ago #16249 by
....you wish tatra!! long live the aussie road train.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #16250 by Tatra
Detective,

Tongue in chick mate, tongue in chick, lol. I don't think they could have ever run a proper roadtrain in Spain on account of the max length rules. Downunder though the Buffalo was one of the first trucks used on roadtrains - cemeNTepede may chime in on this.

Oh, if I may, Israel's humble contribution to the roatrain art:

Yes, we did (and do) have them on restricted routes...

Cheers

T

PS: Pic from the Eilat city collection.

Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Tatra.

12 years 6 months ago #16251 by
...nah i was only joking too tatra..although that autocar and train is a top looking outfit.

cheers

More
12 years 6 months ago #16252 by lostin70s
very interesting lorries ,it reminded me of a picture in a book, of ron[toots husband] bogged somewhere way up north i believe it was a hippo that he had at the time. great book i just wish i could find it again one day .sorry off thread a little.

ab148&&cof4070a&&t600&&s line&&chamberlain c670

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #16253 by Tatra

Just been hunting around in the desktop and ended up finding the following.

Finally, I was idly going through some pics of Rick Thege's collection near Ballarat and came across this. Look what's in the background and Cummins-powered! Buffalo?

Raising this thread from the dead... I think it's the same as in the film "The Cattle Carters"...

See here:
and the second part:

Discussion starting on the following post: www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1334331556/17#17

Cheers,

T
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Tatra.

More
11 years 9 months ago #16254 by ErgoMike
You guys should try and get over for the South Is Tour in September.
Robert Caulfield will be doing the run with his Cummins powered Buffalo. Over 110 trucks registered so far!

Time to create page: 0.556 seconds