Skip to main content

Industry safety

More
6 years 3 months ago #190363 by grumpy
Replied by grumpy on topic Industry safety
I see there is some mention of the correct position of hand placement on the steering wheel.
In the past we were taught that the 10 to 2 was the correct way. Others say 1/4 to 3.
Having driven overseas for the past 12 or so years, a majority of drivers have both hands below the centre line of the steering wheel.
This is drummed into them in Canada and in the States.
They say in the 10 to 2 position, you stand a very good chance of smacking yourself in the face it the airbag goes off.
I use the 1/4 to 3 position now, and thumbs outside the wheel.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190375 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Industry safety
Dunno about what's right or wrong here, I reckon throat important thing is both hands on the wheel for most would be a good start, not on the iPhone or belting the kids around the ear hole

I wonder if not having the hands in the right spot has ever caused a problem or maybe it'd just some made up BS ????

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 3 months ago #190379 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Industry safety
Grunpy,

You drive like me.

No dislocated thumbs in an accident and the airbag blows your arms sideways so you don't end up with an impression of your watch in your forehead.

Now for the passengers with their feet on the dash. Dislocated hips and smashed face is what they will get. Serves them right.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #190380 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Industry safety
Hand position on the wheel is often dictated by the spokes.

Race/Rally driving position has nothing to do with daily driving as they require instant 180 degree turns of the wheel every 15 seconds.

The traditional 10 and 2 is the least tiring position as the weight of the arms is taken by just curving the hands over the wheel. Turns, particularly with power steering, just require a slight relax of the up going hand and the weight of the other arm turns the wheel ( all done sub-consciously ). Wheel turns are made using the the natural arm and shoulder joint down "pull".

The 1/4 to 3 position requires the hands to grip the wheel relatively strongly to support the arms continuously. Wheel turns are made using the unnatural inward pull and push all using elbows and arms.

There is a fatigue study done somewhere on driving positions which I will try to find which gives 10 and 2 the vote.

I have a 1956 Australian Motor magazine in which some pommy car writer demonstrates the "correct" way to hold the wheel. This clown takes up two pages and three photos to demonstrate the 4 and 8 position with an under grip. I have tried it but found the car out of control in bouncy or windy road conditions.

In the end it is not where you have your hands it is what you do with them!!!!

Lang

PS. Just looked at a lot international sites regarding hand position. It seems 10 and 2 is the ideal position for comfort and general driving. BUT this is now not the recommended position.

Because of driver air bags the recommended position is 9 and 3. No official site I can find says this is a better position for driving control but all state the air bag for the change in recommendation. Plenty of WRX yobbo forums state 9 and 3 because that is what formula one drivers use (with one turn lock to lock).

Seems to me a bit like the people who bought Volvos way back. Not nearly as nice to drive as a Commodore but so safe in an accident. So if you want to be comfortable (which contributes to safety) and have possible air bag problems use 10 and 2. If you intend crashing the vehicle, fully support your arms and use 9 and 3.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Lang.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190382 by .RC.
Replied by .RC. on topic Industry safety

rex wrote: this Law makes the consignee and the consigner responsible as well as every one involved in delivering the goods.
Rex

It is a pretty retarded law by the sounds of it. I have a great idea, lets make all businesses responsible for any traffic infringements any employee happens to make. We include cars in that idea and also include shareholders of public companies as well as directors.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190383 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Industry safety
RC,most private companies already work on that system.......the boss or wife or son gets bulk speeding or red light tickets in company regd cars..........the govt settles for 10x the fine and no one gets points or loses licences.One law for the rich ,one for the poor.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190384 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Industry safety
If you ve ever driven a front end loader with armstrong steering,you wont put your thumbs thru the spokes of the steering wheel...ever.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 3 months ago #190386 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Industry safety
Eye Say
Grab the wheel anywhere U like th@ gives U control of the Big Butefull Beast

Nuther subject
how U turn the wheel
sum say feed the wheel thru your hands
others say hand over hand
Me Sez
Grab the wheel anywhere U like th@ gives U control of the Big Butefull Beast
The Mack TiltnTray @ times more comfortable to grab under the wheel & feed the wheel thru your hands

ThereFor: me sez
ifn it feels good................ do it
;)
cya
ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 3 months ago #190387 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Industry safety
Lots of insightful advice regarding the steerer. However I'm totally with Mr Swishy.
If my hands are in one spot for more than a few minutes I must have nodded off. As I'm deaf as a post I can't hear warning buzzers so I'm continually running hands/fingers over anything in the car, blinkers, lights, handbrake you name it.
Come from years of driving underpowered trucks or tractors which gave you plenty of time to check gauges, mirrors, implements and so on.
Even as a passenger I can't keep my hands to myself.
Mrs was driving the other month and I had a feel of the handbrake. Yep up about 3 notches and had driven a few hundred k's staring at the warning light by then.
Probably would not have happened with me steering.
And yep John K, split my thumb down through the first joint when the toy tractor hit a stump and spun the wheel. Didn't have thumbs through the spokes but the sudden stop was enough to chew up my hands when I got thrown over the wheel.

Attachments:

More
6 years 3 months ago #190390 by Tired Iron
Replied by Tired Iron on topic Industry safety
Jeffo
Looks real sore, hope you recovered ok.
Reminds me as very young bloke on the tractor finishing off corners on a ploughed paddock .
No idea where my hands were but almost sprained my wrist.
Worst part though was near winding myself when my elbow flew back into my stomach-and it was a lot smaller and harder in those days-stomach I mean.
Lesson learned.
Cheers

Time to create page: 0.570 seconds