Skip to main content

Industry safety

More
6 years 3 months ago #190447 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Industry safety
Must have been a West Aussie, around here they all think the roads are their own private road and indicators (if they use them) give them the immediate right to change lanes and you have to give way.
Cheers Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190451 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Industry safety
Overnight I totally agree, but it would have been soooooooo easy for the car driver to back off a touch and let the truck go.
No need to force the issue as anyone with even an ounce of brain knows who would win.
I gave consideration (back when Mrs was teaching) to having a chat with the senior kids re-driving and surviving. Nothing to do with the rules etc, they can learn all that stuff anytime. Just general survival tricks that you learn from experience and from surviving stupid mistakes, we all make them.
Even had some demonstration aids lines up, as in an old mounted up 1000x20 steel wheel. As 99% would never have rolled or tried to dead lift one, it would have given them something to think on when there's around 34 of them on a "B" double.
But with no credentials.....can't go sprouting off and misleading the poor kiddies, had to leave that to the experts.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 3 months ago #190453 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Industry safety
Got me sum new signs to hang

There printer friendly to an 'A'4 sheet

Go4It

WotSezU

cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:

More
6 years 3 months ago #190455 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Industry safety
Yet,I see on the telly.......a lot more people are killed by falls than killed on the roads each year....about 25% more..........but falling off the roof isnt spectacular enough to make the news.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #190461 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Industry safety
Well of course not John, there's nobody to demonise.....as you say, not "news"worthy.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by asw120.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190473 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic Industry safety

atkipete wrote: Maybe, just maybe, our maximum permitted driving hours are excessive. I could not do 12 hour shifts six days per week on an ongoing basis but I know interstate drivers who are expected to do that each week and stretch it at every opportunity.

This is because Interstate drivers are either Owner Drivers or if employed by a boss are getting paid by the kilometre. Interstate would be good if you only did night shift, did depot to depot and were paid by the hour. Getting paid by the Kilometre and doing deliveries and pickups is BS.
Disclaimer. No disrespect intended to Owner drivers or Interstate drivers. All we need is freight rates up to a decent level, then drivers could get paid for the hours worked.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190474 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Industry safety
Yeah, good one Swishy!
Now if only we could legislate that!
But, someone would come along and condemn it for some reason or another.
BTW, where are the two little bleeders (Mack & Ken are they??), missed their usual Friday morn appearance and words of wisdom.
Oh, that's right, school holidays!
Any truth in the rumour they were seen in among the sand dunes on Rye back beach sharing a spliff??
Dave

More
6 years 3 months ago #190521 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Industry safety
I reckon I have a good OH&S system in place here.
Have a low roof shed, no insulation, corrugated iron, does tend to get a bit warm during this hot spell we're having. Very simple test.
Take stubby from fridge, place on bench. Roll a durrie and by the time I smoke it, if beer is starting to warm, invoke Rule 2BO. (too bloody 'ot!). Drop door, repair to air con in house and write dumbass questions to forums, always tomorrow!
Works for me!
Dave

More
6 years 3 months ago #190535 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Industry safety
Well said Swishy, we tend to underestimate the value of common sense. I suppose now though there is a whole generation of truck drivers moving into retirement and much experience being lost.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190578 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Industry safety
I have not been part of our vintage display at the Dowerin Field Days recently. Our magazine has a bit about changes over the years due to Worksafe, we used to have a parade through the crowd twice a day, t

his has been stopped. Marquee erectors had to wear hyvis clothing last time and have a card, this type of building is considered not safe for the general public and now banned, in it’s day has withstood high winds tied to tractors or trucks!
We had a gas ring and urn for hot water and cuppas, now no naked flames allowed.
Power plants must be silenced and boxed, it and the individual power cords for electric urns be inspected and passed.
All in the interest of safety.
David.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds