• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #197831 by Swishy

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by IHScout.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago #197832 by Swishy
Take 2

cya

The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, PaulFH, Southbound, xspanrman

More
5 years 3 months ago #197833 by JOHN.K.
Coles S 1610 diesel electric........

More
5 years 3 months ago #197943 by asw120
Same as yours, John?

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
5 years 3 months ago #197944 by JOHN.K.
bigger than mine........but its British made,so about the same age 1957 or so so.The later ones had sheet metal made at Revesby,and rusted worse than a HQ Holden.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago #197947 by Swishy
The owner sed he has never seen any other pic of his coles
as most had the xtra axle

The Victorian Raulways had a few Coles as Yard Cranes

cya

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, roKWiz

More
5 years 3 months ago #197949 by JOHN.K.
The last one pic d is a "hydramobile".......not electric.............Ive seen lots of the SP Coles ,never seen a 6 wheeler.Mine is a 4wd,not common inSPs ,but the army had a lot of 6x6 truck mounted Coles .........Once very common,mine is ex Sydney water board,and specced with a P6 for road use...........I remember CDW at Eagle Farm had half a dozen with the Ford Mercury motors.....the common motor in them.............the one on the float would be a 4cyl Ford diesel 2712E?.....................mine was a very handy machine,when I could climb like a monkey.............like all Pommy stuff,you needed an offsider.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #197950 by Dave_64
John.K. You seem to be pretty well up on these old cranes, recall the Oz Army also had a few Coles cranes mounted on 6X6 AEC p/m, didn’t have much to do with them myself, but remember they had some sort of electric drive on them where you could move the actual crane itself from the crane operators cabin, can’t recall if you could steer them that way also, but were movable backwards and forwards. I do recall an open day at the Engineers where they had an open dingy slung from the hook just above ground level and took kids on a very slow merry-go-round rides, something that would never be allowed today.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Dave_64.

More
5 years 3 months ago #197952 by JOHN.K.
Dave,the army ones were actually on a Coles chassis,with AEC running gear.............I believe any truck mounted Coles,even the 30/10 28 tonners could be optioned so the truck could be moved from the crane cab.......A lot of the army cranes were broken up for the trucks straight after they were sold...........Im not sure about the army ones,but the Coles manual shows an electric steering setup mounted under the truck steering wheel......All the Coles truck chassis had a transfer case,and could have a generator driven from the case.............Some of the later series electrics didnt have a motor in the crane,and used the truck motor driving a generator in the chassis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
5 years 3 months ago #197953 by JOHN.K.
I realize this is a bit confusing,which it is,but the truck cranes able to be driven from the crane cab had a electric motor coupled to the transfer case.,and were powered by the crane generator..................One of the army ones I looked at at the auction also had a mass of batteries in the crane.................made me wonder if the crane could be operated on batteries alone......but I dont know............and the army ones also had either a generator or motor coupled to the transfer case................in the 1950s ,a Coles 40 hp electric motor(BTH,or English Electric) cost more than a average house.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.598 seconds